Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO
ICOM IC-756PRO Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: ICOM IC-756Pro Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-756PRO

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO.

WL7M Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2002 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Pro on 6 Meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can only say that the 756 Pro gave me WAS SSB on 50 MHz in 30 days. Seems to hear pretty well. Anyone else out there top that?

73, Joe
WL7M
Fritz Creek, Alaska

WD8OST Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2002 14:03 Send this review to a friend
6m????  Time owned: months
rec. on 6mssb. is not good. at all for weak sig. ssb. have yaesu ft. 920 that is great on rec. 6mssb weak sig.. oh. ant. here is a 6 elm. c-617b6 up 45ft. but the pro on h/f great. so if you really work weak sig. 6m ssb. this is not the radio for you. unless you work strong sig. 6m ssb. I use the ft. 920 for 6m the pro for h/f only my thoughts thanks- mike

W9BKR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2002 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great valued radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is there a "6" category to rate it under ?

Seriously, I love my PRO. Would I buy a PRO 2? Doubt it, when you consider the cost difference and what you get for the extra $.

I have compared it to my TS-850 which hears very well also, but the PRO has more features.

I have compared it to my IC-746, much tighter front end, and again, more features.

I have compared it to my friend's TT Jupiter. Night and day. When you consider the price TT is selling the Jupiter for, you can get a PRO for a couple hundred more and get numerou features that aren't even standard on the TT radio.

All in all, I love operating and using the radio. It is easy to us, hears very well, and I still have to learn the filtering schemes that work the best. Scope is a good operation too.

Gripes? Only the small recessed knobs bottom left could be a tad larger.

WL7M Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2002 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Great AO-40 Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a side benefit to the fantastic bandscope on the 756Pro, I can locate stations on Oscar 40 very easily, as well as compare my uplink signal to the beacon signal to ensure "Leila" doesn't nail me. I feed the output of the 2.4 GHz to 2 meter downconverter to a Hamtronics 2 meter to 10 meter downconverter, then to the dedicated Rx antenna input on the Pro. I can then use the exceptional DSP filtering and audio filtering to virtually eliminate all the hiss and background noise, making satellite operation an absolute joy! This makes finding a station to work (or your OWN uplink signal - no "swishing" required) very easy.

Aside from satellite work, the Pro has given me 304 countries in 24 months on the HF bands! What a radio!! I am continually finding new feats it will perform, ever so flawlessly. Its good to read the manual once in awhile. I rediscover things I knew it would do, but had forgotten, as well as find new tricks I had missed.

This one will be with me for decades to come.

73, Joe WL7M

T93M Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2002 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Good for Contesting !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently my FT990 died and I was forced to buy new radio for my trip to Dominican Republic.Filtering during WPX SSB contest was big plus.To find clear frequncy even easyer, just press hold on scope and move to clear frequency.
Dual Watch for 40 M operation is big plus.
For brand new radio $1900 is not too much , I paid $1050 for 10 years old FT990 and now have to pay hundreds for repair.

KA1EZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2002 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Usability makes it fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The screen and design of this radio make using it very easy. Since my best past radios over 20 years have just been tube sets or my qrp kits, I thought I would be overwhelmed by the features, or never user them, I was wrong!

I can't compare to other modern rigs, but the ease in which I figured out how to do split, dual watch and other things I hadn't really done was amazing. Now I know why everyone wants these features!

Not having crystal filters was interesting, but I'm sold. Being able to push up one side of the passband is very intuitive and effective.

And the band scope, it's no gimmick. If you like to SWL also like me, it helps you spot things quite easily, you really become used to it quickly.

One nice thing about that big display is being able to see all your meters at once, that's a smart thing!

I may be impressed easily this being my first big rig, but I think it does live up to the ratings.

KG4GLI Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2002 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Great So Far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a Icom 756pro and right out of the box I was impressed. The rig looks great,made all of the connections,and was on the air. The scope is really nice. I noticed right off, that the recieve floor level is really low on this rig, even with the preamp on setting two. The display is easy on the eyes and the menu are really user friendly. Rig does 100w out no problem. I use a Heil HM i mic and the audio is great. All bands are quiet even 75, 80 meters the filter are unbeliveable. Icom did their homework on this one. Great job Guys. Thanks from KG4GLI

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 23:48 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT RIG  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a casual operator, spending time on both cw and ssb. The PRO probably has the best receiver I have ever used....the noise floor is certainly adequate for my type of operating and the DSP filtering is absolutely fantastic. Like most have already said....the scope is addictive. I find the receiver doesn't "wear me out" like some of the other receivers I have owned. The learning curve for casual operating is very quick and I find the operator's manual adequate for my needs. On the transmitter side.....I find it particulary easy to adjust my xmit audio (easy-to-use menu system with a wide range of adjustments). I have been told that a good rule-of-thumb is to use an external receiver to adjust xmit audio. However, the on-board xmit monitor does an excellent job with my Heil BM-10-5. There was brief period of time earlier this year when I considered trading my PRO for a FT1000......wanted to get 200 watts in one box with a built-in tuner and power supply. I tried the 1000 for a week and really liked those things I was looking for...200 watts, etc.... but found that I had to work a little harder to enjoy the receiver.....kinda like I mentioned earlier about "wearing me out". Although the 1000 appears to hear as good as the PRO....it just takes a little more effort! Anyway, I am glad I kept the PRO. I think this rig is going to be a "keeper" for me.....at least until ICOM comes out with a 200 watt PRO with a built-in power supply and tuner.

KB0NAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 21:43 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is just plain and simple to the point great. It hears everything and sounds wonderful both on receive and transmit. Unless you "need" the minor improvements in the PRO2(even QST review say's;quote; :Quite frankly,the margin of measurable improvement from the PRO to the PROII is rather narrow.) Then get the PRO. At the current price,$1800-$1900 new,if you can still find one, this is a STEAL!! The scope is very addictive. Wish I could get another!!!!Very quiet receiver.The DSP works wonders. Buy it now while you can..

W0AKR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio and Affordable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to update my "review". I found that the radio does have the voice recorder. Not the easiest to operate as with the Kenwoods (i.e. TS-850 and TS-870). Radio hears very well and is easy to use. Manual is like a book with all the features and for the going price around $1500 or so, you can't beat the affordability.

We compared the 756PRO to two other radios in the shack, plus one brought over.

When compared to the TS-850, it hears as well as the PRO, but with the NR and other filtering schemes, the PRO was "easier" to listen to over a long time period.

When compared to the Ten-Tec Jupiter a friend had, we had to check to see if we left the coax off that radio. It heard nothing compared to the PRO unless it was 5-9+. With DSP engaged the TT heard nothing, and the receive audio dropped way off. Not so on the PRO.

Only gripe is the little controls at the bottom left. Kinda hard to grasp and see how much you are turning them. Would prefer a slightly larger knob with better accessibility.

THis isn't the PROII, but then again, if you want to fork out additional $$$$ for the PRO II, I doubt you will notice the difference with the casual operator.

Dollar for dollar, the PRO is an excellent purchase.