Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO
ICOM IC-756PRO Reviews: 147 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: ICOM IC-756Pro Transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO.

AE6GT Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2002 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Satisfaction for Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Debated between the fT-1000MP MKV and the Pro. At the local HRO, played with the two and noticed a smooth audio response from the 1000. The 1000 was easy to operate and has a conventional interface. Skeptical of going with the PRO (having owned Yaesu products - ht's, mobiles, and ft100D) I thought to audition the PRO anyway. I was impress immediately with the ease of operation. The band scope provides an immediate perspective of the frequency "landscape." One can tell immediately where the QSO's reside and where there are openings - this is not just a nice display but a functional tool. On this feature alone the PRO won me over. I considered further the PERFORMANCE of each unit. After all, this is what we all seek. I read all the bench tests and the user feedbacks and having played with the units on limited basis, and have concluded that I could not discern any significant difference between the two. I believe the differences are measured in fractions of a millimeter - - to provide an analogy.

Despite the PRO's highly configurable nature, it is simple and intuitive to operate. The Twin Band Pass filters, DSP noise reduction, Notch system are all so very effective. The pass band filters are in the IF stage, not just in the audio stage as they are in some other radios. I have found that I am able to work extremely weak signals by clamping down on the pass band to 1.6k wide, it is 3.6k at its maximum width and incrementally adjustable down to 0k wide.

My one issue is that the Noise Blanker NB is seemingly not effective, I can't hear any difference. I use this primarily as a base station and am not subject to pulsed noise typical of auto ignition systems, so this does not bother me.

In closing, I would buy this again (tempted by the PROII but $1000 more) bought this new at the marked down price. A high end radio at 2/3 the price. Being a Yaesu patron, I have expanded my views to Icom with this radio setting the example.

73's Jon AE6GT
AA9NN Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2002 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent,But.......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First off, There is no other rating for this radio other than a 5. It is an excellent HF and 6 meter radio. BUT... I traded My Kenwood TS-2000 for the Pro. and Im selling my Pro for another TS-2000. Remember this is just me... I miss the 2000 because of its flexibility and excellent IF Noise blanker. The only complaint on the 756Pro is that the NB is really bad. Non adjustable either on or off. a terrible design that Icom corrected in the Pro II.

The DSP NR is excellent but radios still need a good IF based NB. One that is adjustable. Radios are made for different applications and uses. The 2000 fits me better than the Pro. If I had all the money I needed, I would have both. To me that would be the ultimate station. a 756Pro and the TS-2000 both under full control and my logging program running.

I also had heard complaints on the CW DSP based filters which I found to be be of NO problem. The DSP filters are excellent!!, CW abd SSB. I also think if you have this radio check out the 756Pro boards and the Icom advanced operators manual. Good stuff!
73 and best of DX

Jim, AA9NN
DX2B Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2002 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Addictive, and a pleasure to use!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this rig!!!!
I have been an avid AM/SSB listener for 2 yrs, and can't comment at all on CW, or Tx on any band. I have a K. TS-180S, and a Y. FT-990..... I know, it must seem like a waste to be just Rx and not a Tx too, but I want the best rigs for listening within my budget. I just bought a 2nd hand 756Pro and have had it a week, and it is Soooooo user friendly!!!!!....I didn't need to use the manual at all. I have compared the sensitivity/reception, background noise floor, and filter/dsp ability to clean up muddy weak signals, and the 756Pro is very close, but better than the FT-990 on sensitivity/reception, but Light Years ahead of the FT-990 in terms of its filter and DSP attack on muddy weak signals. The noise floor of the 756Pro is unbelievably quiet, and much better than the FT-990 as well. I did not compare the 756Pro to the TS-180S(which has great reception & audio in its own right). The audio is much sharper(clearer) and easier to listen to in the 756Pro than the FT-990. Now I am only a layperson in terms of being able to test, and hardcore number crunch, but I do have an ability like many others on here, to spend hours finding what buttons and knobs to use to clear up reception problems till they go away. I don't feel great about comparing a newer rig to an older one, but I am just using what I have to compare. Both the FT-990 and the 756Pro are great rigs, but I am sooooo happy with aforementioned features of the 756Pro , as well as It's list of many other user-friendly features(too long to mention). I will most likely sell my FT-990. The 756Pro has now inspired me to get my license.......Thanks ICOM......Keep makin these GREAT RIGS!!!!!! 73
K9OZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2002 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Comparing PRO and PROII  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a PRO last fall when they went to closeout prices with the introduction of the PROII. I love the radio, but always wondered if I should have spent the extra bucks for the ProII. this weekend had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison between my Pro and a new Pro II. Here are my conclusions.
The rumble -- which I can only hear on a crowded band with stereo headphones on -- is gone on the PROII. I can trade up or use communications grade headphones. I'm not sure if the rumble is bothersome or not. Last weekend several other people opeated my PRO during Field Day, and nobody else even noticed it. I'm glad ICOM got rid of it on the PROII, but not glad enough to upgrade.
Digging out weak signals. I listened to -- and worked -- Europeans on the bottom of 40 last night with a GAP vertical. Neither rig had any advantage. (By the way, my K2 kept up with both, but that's another review.)
Shaped filters. I couldn't hear any advantage on CW. For SSB, the softer shape gives a nicer sound, but if I never heard it, I wouldn't miss it. I seldom operate SSB, so not an issue for me.
The PROII does sound slightly better receiving AM. I have made zero AM contacts, so again, not an issue for me.
Overall the ProII is a little hotter on receive, but very hard to discern the difference. For everyday operating, I would probably never see the difference. I actually prefer the general sound of my PRO over the PROII. But it's what I'm used to.
Noise reduction. I thought the noise reduction on the Pro is great. Could see no improvement on the ProII.
Overall the test convinced me never to trade my PRO for a PROII. The minor improvements just aren't worth the money -- at least comparing the two radios on my antennas. Your results might vary, depdending on radios, antennas, etc.
So if you see a used PRO out there and wonder if you are making a big mistake by not going with the latest and greatest PROII, buy the PRO and spend the extra $1,000 on antennas.
By the way, I traded a 746 for the 756PRO. there was a huge improvement in the receiver and it was well worth the money for the upgrade. And the band scope, once you use it for a couple days, you love it. Turn it off and you are missing the visual input of what's up and down the band.
WL7M Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2002 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Pro on 6 Meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can only say that the 756 Pro gave me WAS SSB on 50 MHz in 30 days. Seems to hear pretty well. Anyone else out there top that?

73, Joe
Fritz Creek, Alaska
WD8OST Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2002 14:03 Send this review to a friend
6m????  Time owned: months
rec. on 6mssb. is not good. at all for weak sig. ssb. have yaesu ft. 920 that is great on rec. 6mssb weak sig.. oh. ant. here is a 6 elm. c-617b6 up 45ft. but the pro on h/f great. so if you really work weak sig. 6m ssb. this is not the radio for you. unless you work strong sig. 6m ssb. I use the ft. 920 for 6m the pro for h/f only my thoughts thanks- mike
W7NKR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2002 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great valued radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is there a "6" category to rate it under ?

Seriously, I love my PRO. Would I buy a PRO 2? Doubt it, when you consider the cost difference and what you get for the extra $.

I have compared it to my TS-850 which hears very well also, but the PRO has more features.

I have compared it to my IC-746, much tighter front end, and again, more features.

I have compared it to my friend's TT Jupiter. Night and day. When you consider the price TT is selling the Jupiter for, you can get a PRO for a couple hundred more and get numerou features that aren't even standard on the TT radio.

All in all, I love operating and using the radio. It is easy to us, hears very well, and I still have to learn the filtering schemes that work the best. Scope is a good operation too.

Gripes? Only the small recessed knobs bottom left could be a tad larger.

WL7M Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2002 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Great AO-40 Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a side benefit to the fantastic bandscope on the 756Pro, I can locate stations on Oscar 40 very easily, as well as compare my uplink signal to the beacon signal to ensure "Leila" doesn't nail me. I feed the output of the 2.4 GHz to 2 meter downconverter to a Hamtronics 2 meter to 10 meter downconverter, then to the dedicated Rx antenna input on the Pro. I can then use the exceptional DSP filtering and audio filtering to virtually eliminate all the hiss and background noise, making satellite operation an absolute joy! This makes finding a station to work (or your OWN uplink signal - no "swishing" required) very easy.

Aside from satellite work, the Pro has given me 304 countries in 24 months on the HF bands! What a radio!! I am continually finding new feats it will perform, ever so flawlessly. Its good to read the manual once in awhile. I rediscover things I knew it would do, but had forgotten, as well as find new tricks I had missed.

This one will be with me for decades to come.

73, Joe WL7M
T93M Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2002 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Good for Contesting !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently my FT990 died and I was forced to buy new radio for my trip to Dominican Republic.Filtering during WPX SSB contest was big plus.To find clear frequncy even easyer, just press hold on scope and move to clear frequency.
Dual Watch for 40 M operation is big plus.
For brand new radio $1900 is not too much , I paid $1050 for 10 years old FT990 and now have to pay hundreds for repair.
KA1EZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2002 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Usability makes it fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The screen and design of this radio make using it very easy. Since my best past radios over 20 years have just been tube sets or my qrp kits, I thought I would be overwhelmed by the features, or never user them, I was wrong!

I can't compare to other modern rigs, but the ease in which I figured out how to do split, dual watch and other things I hadn't really done was amazing. Now I know why everyone wants these features!

Not having crystal filters was interesting, but I'm sold. Being able to push up one side of the passband is very intuitive and effective.

And the band scope, it's no gimmick. If you like to SWL also like me, it helps you spot things quite easily, you really become used to it quickly.

One nice thing about that big display is being able to see all your meters at once, that's a smart thing!

I may be impressed easily this being my first big rig, but I think it does live up to the ratings.