Reviews Categories | Microphones | Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 Help

Reviews Summary for Behringer Ultravoice XM8500
Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $24,99
Description: Dynamic Cardioid Microphone
More info: http://www.behringer.com/XM8500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

You can write your own review of the Behringer Ultravoice XM8500.

HL1ZIX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Best value in Ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I dropped my MH31 Yaesu hand mic, and broke it, so I decided to give this a try. I was swayed by the positive reviews on here of people touting this mic over more expensive options. Let me tell you, they are not exaggerating in the least. What a great mic.

I actually have another XLR dynamic mic, the Audio Technica AT818II, which is a cheapee sold in Asia. That mic is about $10, and sounds just OK for Ham, but is muddy, and lacks DX punch that my MH31 handmic had. Although I could EQ a smooth sound with that mic, I could never get the DX punch I wanted with it. So I got this xm8500 to try. How can you go wrong, at this price?

After owning the Behringer xm8500, I now feel as if I have the best of both worlds -- warm and smooth ragchew ability, or solid punchy DX, depending on what I want with my settings.

If I set my Yaesu FT950 to add just a smidge of top end, transmit width at 3-27, and about 15 compression, the mic is wonderful for DX work. What a great deal. Highly recommended.

W1NEJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great with Flex 6300 running Remote!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a mic to use with my Flex 6300, which can now be used remotely with the release of SmartSDR 1.4 and found this mic. It had great reports here on eHam, and also on Amazon, so I thought, what the heck, for $20.00 I would give it a try. I'm glad I did!

(To use SmartSDR remotely, it is necessary to use a mic connected to your PC, not directly to the radio. SmartSDR then does its magic and connects the audio through your IP network back to the radio.)

I purchased a cable that has XLR on one end and USB on the other end, plugged it into my Win 7 PC. Win 7 found the drivers and made it work. True plug and play. I mapped the mic in Windows to be the default audio input, and that was it. I am getting very positive reports on my audio from every contact I make.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mics are what they are, Microphones. Finding one that works well with your station and voice characteristics is hard. This mic seems to have all I need as to quality and voice reproduction. Using a Behringer MiniMic for modeling. Does well on FM and cuts thru on SSB.

Rigs used on are a TS 570SG and TM 281A.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2012 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Works sweet on the TS940S  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having recently switched radios again, wanted to run the Ultravoice on my TS940. As the 940 has a high impedance mic input the Behringer wasn't performing up to its potential. I bought a Hosa 200 ohm to 50K ohm impedance transformer and mounted it inside the XM8500. Performance is amazing. Easily drives the 940 and I am getting lots of glowing audio reports. One ham called my audio "brilliant". Can't get better than that. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for a microphone and the Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice is proof you don't have to. They are available online at music shops everywhere. Even if you aren't looking for a new mic, for the price, pick one up and try it. You'll simply be amazed. You can sell your name brand mic and treat yourself to a steak dinner!

W8ER Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here's a tip: Take your MC-90 Kenwood microphone and slip an XM-8500 in place of the supplied microphone. Connectors match and the mic just slips into the holder. My bet is that everyone will notice the improvement and the cost is less than $20.

The XM-8500 is the bargain of the century!

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2009 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Very nice microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Kenwood MC-50 crapped out, and I needed a replacement. I looked on line, and found the XM 8500 at Guitar Center for $19.95.

While I was there, I also purchased a 12 foot audio cable with the 3 pin plug that mates the XM 8500. I cut it down to about a foot and installed it the Kenwood stand. The Behringer just slipped in!

The reports on air have been fine, and this microphone is built like a tank, and looks good too. The remainder of the audio cable I am cutting up and using for stright key cable extensions and other stuff.

Overall I highly recommend it. Why pay more for somebody’s Ham radio brand name?

WB9JOX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 14:11 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with previous review. I paid 17.00 dollars at Fullcompass.com plus shipping. Microphone just sounds great. Using mic with k3 radio.Need XLR 3 pin going to mic.

W5WAA Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2009 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Best $20 I ever spent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this mic solely on the eham reviews, wow, what a mic. How can they sell this thing for $20. I'm running an old Kenwood TS-180S feeding a G5RV, although the book says it is supposed to like 600 ohm to 50K ohm z, this 150 ohm mic works just fine. With the mic gain at about the 2 c'clock position and putting out about 50 to 60 watts I have gotten audio reports from Europe to Hawaii on how good it sounds. No problems, why spend more?

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it from J&R sound after reading reviews here. All the hams I generally speak to every day on the nets have commented favorably about how much better the 8500 sounds over my Heil Gold.

I use it with a Pro3 and a W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ plus and have been able to tailor the mike to where I get consistently great audio reports.

A great mike for the price and it even fit perfectly into the the Heil suspension mount on the boom!

W6HB Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2007 23:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the arsenal...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At $19.99 in the USA from various sources, this is a sweet deal. Good ragchew warmth with an FT-1000MP with 4-4 at 3 and nice crystal mike punch for DX with the 4-4 at 4. Exhibits very good rear and side rejection which is a big plus when using VOX and or in a noisey shack. Good addition to the collection...