Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2200H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2200H
Icom IC-2200H Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $230.00
Description: 2 meter mobile.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2200H.

VO1MX Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2017 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Great 2-meter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great 2-meter rig. Some challenges with programming at first but still chugging along ten years later :)

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2016 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Quick review   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a quick review on this transceiver , well first of all in the first five minutes of having it plugged in & hooked up to the 2m antenna I had my few local repeaters & a DTCS frequency programmed & transmitting without evening opening the manual booklet. It's my first ever transceiver that's not a Yaesu & I had it going. Receiver is just as good as my FT7800R & TX audio reports were good. Nice little rig.

N1CKX Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2015 06:16 Send this review to a friend
A Pain to Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a lot of Icom gear.
This is the only one I have to pull out the book for every single time I use it.
And still cannot make it stay on high power on some memory channels.
Have a used 2000 that I don't have a book for. Figured it out in about an hour.
But this radio I have given up on and purchased software to program it.

Good audio, clear display. But the manual written in Jinglish sucks and has lots of errors.

KE5MOJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Great radio that is still going strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio in August 2007. This is my second radio I bought since becoming a HAM and it is a great radio. It is very sensitive and at 65 watts can reach out and touch a distant repeater.

I currently use it as a Base/Mobile radio. At home it is setup on my desk and when I go out storm spotting it goes in my vehicle as a backup radio. No sense in taking chances.

RT Systems is great in programming the radio, saves me trying to enter 180 repeaters by hand. Since I live in Oklahoma, I break up the state into 6 zones and as I travel through the state I can easily switch to the repeaters I need.

Did I add the D-Star option to the radio? Nope, comments by others on how D-Star works with this radio led my decision to forgo this choice. I do have a Icom 2820 with D-Star on it, but sadly D-Star is lacking in the Oklahoma City area.

Overall, this is a great radio for a new ham or an experienced one. 65 Watts, large heat sink and great audio make this a good radio. The microphone is ok, I have better results with a desk mike.

KB9NGX Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Receiver is sensitive. And audio output easily drives my external speaker; to good, clear copy. I routinely operate the TX at full power, without regard to duration. I have not had a problem with this radio.

PU1KGZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Clear and Sensitive Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to own an Yaesu FT-2900 (made in china) and really hated to admit that an old ICOM HT IC-T7A was much clearer and sensitive than the "base" station FT-2900. I sold it after 6 months and kept the HT.

Now it's been 2 months I own my ICOM IC-2200H and I can say that it is more sensitive (using the same antenna) and clean receiver than the HT.

I use it with local repeaters and echolink links and really do not touch the menus. I use it with 10 or 25W, which is enough to key the repeaters/links.

I believe the IC-2200H is simply the best cost-benefit 2m FM base/mobile transceiver you can get these days. Of course it is not in production and one day will lack support, but for the price is really worth the money.

N6ORB Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2013 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Especially Good on Simplex  Time owned: more than 12 months
I regularly act as net control for an EMCOMM net on 2M simplex. The IC-2200H is so sensitive that I rarely need a relay. Net members often tell me how well I get out, but more important is how well I hear them. I've also run the net using a Yaesu 897D with a TE Systems amplifier's preamp on. The IC-2200H is clearly better. If anything happened to my IC-2200H, I would definitely try to find another one to take its place.

WD4PEL Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
not happy with the difficulty programing it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The programing instructions for the IC2200H SUCK!!!I have been a ham for over 25yrs with a general class license. I tried for over 3 hours to program my new IC220h. I took it to an extra class VEC retired from the Army Signal Corps friend of mine. He worked on it for over one hour with no results. After calling on several local repeaters I finally got a ham that said he had a similar radio and would try. He succeded! ICOM needs to write some plain simple step by step programing instructions! I wish I had bought another ALINCO instead!

WP4OEK Rating: 3/5 Feb 18, 2013 09:56 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good radio but if you wanna fry an egg, buy this one. It gets HOT !!

K3KTK Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2012 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Simple 2M radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple unit that works well. I feel it's well built and have had no problems with it for 18 months now. Menu system takes some getting used to but is pretty easy. Programming is also fairly easy to do. Sounds great and no trouble with transmit quality and range.

Things I like:
- 2 Color display choice
- Fast freq scanning (about 18 to 20 Ch sec)
- Good display with large numbers
- Useful Mic
- 200 Alpha memories
- 10 Memory banks (Very nice)
- Memory bank and banks scan
- Wx alert and pre programmed 10 stations
- Aviation frequencies (118 to 136 or so)
- Programmable Function buttons (sort of)
- Digital capable (I gather)
- Pager type function
- 4 power levels up to 65 W

Could be improved:
- Programmable function buttons on mic do not function fully as described in the manual. They memorize power and frequency only and recall them.
- Wish it had a channel skip button instead of menu and an option for temporary skip (reset at power off)
- Faster scanning
- I would like to see the Alpha name and freq on the display at the same time
- I would like to be able to assign each Mem CH to more than one Mem Bank at a time.

Happy with the unit.