Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2200H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2200H
Icom IC-2200H Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $230.00
Description: 2 meter mobile.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2200H.

AC9HE Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Easy to Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have a Icom 2100 and have been very satisfied with the reliability and ease of programming. When I read the reviews on how difficult it is to program I remember when I first purchased it and tried to do the programming without first fully studying the program manual. After becoming familiar with the unit the programming is simple and utilizing the different options also very easy. I see and read reviews that are 2’s and 3’s because of the difficulties in programming and can’t help but believe that after studying the instructions more carefully programming would be easier for those individuals. This Icom 2200h is used every day on repeaters as well as simplex frequencies. I have installed a fan on the top from a computer tower and power it from the same power supply that lights my Diamond SX-240 meter so that when I intend to be involved in a lengthy QSO I turn light and fan on together. I generally get unsolicited compliments on the audio quality although I do not have what I would call a “radio voice” as I have heard from other operators. If you run this unit on high it will get hot without a fan, so a fan would be something I would recommend when operating this unit. It doesn’t come with one, but we are amateur radio operators, put one on it. Both my Icom 2100 & 2200 have run flawlessly since I have had them and I would not hesitate to purchase another. The knobs being loose I believe is an intentional manufacturing issue to lessen the vibration in mobile applications. This is my very first review although I owned several other pieces of radio equipment, but feel strongly about this unit being a superb piece of radio equipment regardless of owners bias. If it were not a quality product I would not be posting and putting my call toward that fact.

RLOOSE Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2011 20:29 Send this review to a friend
So far so good. This is my first ham radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give it a 4 because of the man-machine interface and the way the manual is written. I found the manual made a lot of assumptions about my depth of knowledge, especially how repeaters operate. The manual led me to believe that the radio would automatically set the offset and it's sign and automatically set the PL tone. After a frustrating couple of hours, I discovered that both the sign and PL tone frequency were set incorrectly. Once this was fixed I made my first ham radio contact! The design and technical quality of the radio are excellent for a $200 purchase price. One of my main problems with the interface is a lack of confirmation/feedback about changes you think you might have made. Did you really accomplish what you set out to do? How do you know if you actually stored a new frequency in memory? Turn the radio off, then turn it back on. Set another frequency and then see if the stored frequency can be recalled. Once I get familiar and more proficient, I think I will really like this transceiver.

K4WDD Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid, powerful and versatile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Considerably lucky in picking up this transeiver for $100. Perhaps the best $100 I've spent on anything in the last year or two. After using a Yaesu VX-3 HT for a while I was becoming used to lost transmissions and regular interference as expected with 1.5-3 Watts. I set up the 2200H in the shack for a test drive on the Astron RS-20A and couldn't believe my ears. The 65w muscle blasted through my apartment walls and hit the club repeater for contacts 45+ miles away. When I ran it mobile on the way to work I was receiving comms from 90+ on a 20" Diamond dual band antenna! My son (KJ4ZED) and I set up a J-pole antenna that we built together and picked up the ISS like it was in our back yard. Any downside to this transeiver would be nitpicking but if I could request improvements they would be: 1)make the volume and squelch knobs a little bit more rugged and 2)simplify the menu functions.
The options and features for this unit have exceeded my expectations. If you're going to be sticking to the 2 meter band and you need good power, certainly consider the IC-2200H.

KG9QP Rating: 3/5 Aug 6, 2010 21:48 Send this review to a friend
not real happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
The bottom of the display went out in less than a year...Ptt has been giving problems..Bought mine new in March of 06...I always take good care of my equipment.I wouldnt buy another one.

W8FOP Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2010 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect but good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased two of these mobiles. I had a 2100 but experienced some problems with it that others have mentioned, (ie: crackling on transmit and the transmitter sticking on high power.) Other than those issues, the performance of the 2100 was excellent.

I purchased the 2200h because of the features and the addition of aircraft band. In comparing two brand new radios, I found that the vhf fm receivers and transmitters were for all purposes nearly identical in performance. The differences were however dramatic when receiving on the vhf am aircraft band. One radio has a continuous higher noise level as noted on the s meter which I assume is because of a hotter diode for the am reception. On this particular radio also, the modulation factor stays constant and moves neither forward or backward when a signal is received. This radio's receiver is obviously hotter than radio # 2 but the high noise level is annoying. On the other radio, (#2), when a signal is received on am, the modulation level moves so far backwards that the squelch level takes over and you might miss some of the transmission as it clips. This is also annoying.

I also observed that the power cord for one radio was nice shinny copper when I stripped the wire and the other radio's power cord was very corroded. Icom and the dealer had no answer for this condition.

My last complaint is regarding the display. I observed on both radios that the display background is not uniform throughout the display. There are areas of the display that are darker in appearance in the amber color mode. This condition is not evident in the green color mode.

Other than the above issues, I am impressed with the radio performance, features, power and especially price. For the money, no other radio comes close. I do wish though that Icom would improve the aircraft band detector circuit.

I hope my review helps address some questions you might have about the 2200h.

KC5TDG Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this rig between 4 and 5 years now. Bought new for $269 and would pay that price still today. Programming via Mic is very easy, without the mic is a pain. One of the reviews said it takes 4 buttons to send dtmf, he's talking about the wrong radio. You do have to press the DTMF button before PTT, but its only one key, and a very handy feature. I use mine for repeater programming, the buttons are large compared to others, and not little round dots that you need a toothpick to press.

The programming software should be free, as it sucks. But it does make things alot easier, although it lacks some basic features.

The knobs do feel like they are missing something, very loose feeling, but doesn't compromise the function of the radio in anyway.

The manual is kinda unclear about the interface port for programming. I built my own cable rather than pay $39 for one, I spent $4. Who would guess that you plug a programming cable into the speaker jack, rather than the data jack ?

Just my 2 cents.

YY1CIR Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2010 12:45 Send this review to a friend
100% New style with old quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I´m ICOM user from +7 years with almost all my rigs being oldies. In 2M i used to have 28H, 229H, 290A.

When i got the 2200H from AES Orlando i did expect full whistles with a downgrade quality.
Unpack the radio, looked for RX mod and plug into Marconi 2955 SM and Voila!!! Good sensibility and selectivity, +50 W output across all 2m band, stable, acceptable Rx audio and impressive modulation with low deviation (4 khz.
I was wrong! Despite of sometimes noisy Rcvr (because wide band RX) The 2200 performed better than specs.
The mic is a brain itself with all the functions with one push or two; full customization via soft menus, big display, large heatsink, for mobile fit same size as its grandparents. I WTB another for my car.
PROS: Air band RX, good display, enough PO, easy to understand menus. Detachable mic cord. Good manual, Impresive service manual.
CONS: Display can be more generous (only 4 chars), mic insufficient backlight and little numbers in keys (i have to memorize positions/functions to avoid push mistakes); Digital option more expensive than radio :(

KI6JPE Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio - great performance for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this radio now for a short while, and I have found this to be one of the best single band radios I've owned so far. Programming is easy, once you get the hang of it and understand the menu concepts, and I have no trouble controlling the radio with the HM-133V either.

The only complaint I'd have is that the knobs do have a little bit of a wiggly feel to them, but that's all I can complain about.

All in all, it's a great rig, I use it both mobile and at home for my base station - will be adding the D-Star option soon.

VE1JS Rating: 2/5 May 16, 2010 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, BUT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this rig in October 2009 and sold it May 15, 2010. As far as output, receiver, scanning, etc. it is a great rig. Programming memories is relatively easy and very easy if you have the software, as I did.

My 2/5 rating comes from the microphone supplied with the rig, the HM-133V. To send DTMF (touch) tones one does NOT just hold down the PTT and fire away as is the case with every other rig I've had anything to do with in 35 years of hamming.

With this mic, you must NOT press the PTT; and, you must first press a sequence of 4 keys before you can get any tone out of the rig.

This is just plane ridiculous! ICOM needs to rethink this mic! Yes, you can store tone sequences in memory and send them from there, but that too, is more than one key to get it going and does not address the original complaint!

I sold this rig strictly because of the microphone and will not buy another ICOM rig that uses this mic...EVER.

K5HNK Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2010 03:58 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorites!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great overall Radio. I go over some pros and some cons. I give solutions to most of the cons as well.

Pros:
I recommended this radio as a base station setup. When I first used this radio it was in the house. I received constant audio reports stating things like "It sounds like your right in the room with me!"

The 2200 is also VERY rugged and quite invincible. I have dropped it several times on concrete and other hard surfaces and it still works like new!
It is not rated as waterproof or even water resistant, however, when I had this in my vehicle I accidentally left the windows down when it rained. The whole interior of my truck was soaked including the radio. There was a visible water line inside the radio's display. I took the radio apart set it out on the table and left it there for about 24 hours. THE WATER DID NOT EFFECT THE RADIO AT ALL! (The water line even came out of the display) VERY RUGGED!

Some other nice features of this radio include:
A Large VFO
A Tough Bracket with many mounting options
A strong signal due to the 65 watt power output.
Positive AND negative fused.
Detailed instruction manual.

Cons:
In the mobile I have engine noise through the speaker when the squelch is opened.

The PTT button on the mic has started to fail in doing its job. occasionally I will have to press the PTT very hard and it eventually becomes a hit and miss every time I key up. I have discovered that the problem lies in an internal rubber piece that falls out of the bracket it sits in. taking the mic apart and seating the rubber piece is a trivial task and only takes about 2 minutes.

The speaker on the radio is high pitched and should have lower frequencies. I recommended an external speaker.

The Volume and Squelch knobs are very wobbly, like a joy stick, but I have not had any problems with their functions.

The case will get hot during extended 65 watt use. When I used this as a base radio a simple homemade external cooling fan worked well to cool it down while using full power.