Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount
Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Diamond deluxe mount with UHF type base. 6.5 ft. RG316 Teflon coax w/PL-259
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount.

KD4ONT Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2016 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Previous reviews offer great advice.   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a k400 3/8 x 24 mount a decade ago. In less than a year, all pivoting points in the mount froze uo. Even after loosening all pivoting points, the mount refused to be adjusted. I whole heartedly agree with noalox suggestion. Before you mount it, tear any pivoting part and bolt apart and coat them with noalox. You can find it at home Depot. Against my better judgement, I'm going to buy another mount. I am going to almost completely tear it down and apply noalox to all pivoting points and bolts. Noalox has made frozen hardware move as smooth as melted butter on mechanical moving points of unlike metals, yet keep an electrical bond.

I had a key kit freeze up completely because too many unlike metals were used. Brass, stainless steel and aluminum. Noalox turned a complete cluster f kit into a working unit.

If you want to save yourself lots of aggravating time, strip it down and give it a good coating of noalox. Then clean up the residue after reassembly.

I threw away a $75 mount because I didn't know about this and was so frustrated that I didn't care anymore.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2016 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Versatile solid mounting solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am so glad I discovered these K400 mounts from Diamond - they are popular in the ham community for good reason. Very flexible mounting options with 2-axis adjustment which is all you need in any situation: vertical hatch mount, boot mount, bonnet mount etc..

No need to drill holes in your car or bend bits of metal to make the perfect angled mount.

There are some 3-axis models from Diamond - it took me a while to figure out what the 3rd axis is for, since 2 axis is all you need in 3D space to orient the antenna any way you want. Well the answer is: the 3rd axis allows you to easily "fold" the antenna down using the easy wingnut twist.

NOTE there are versions that include the antenna base and thin flylead with "mini UHF" connectors so that the wire can fit between tight panel spaces as it enters the car.

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2016 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Good overall design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using these mounts for over ten years and have yet to find a single issue with them.
There has been heavy antennas put on these mounts without a problem and currently have an ATAS 120A on one mount on the front of my 2015 Escape, no breaks etc.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2015 07:26 Send this review to a friend
For over 15 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of these on two different vehicles, one on each edge of the hatch. Work great. Take the antennas off for car washes and car garages that are real low.

Best solution I have found yet for 5/8 wave 2m/440 antennas. I would not trust this kind of mount for a Baby Tarheel, etc. Have seen too many car lip edges bent.

AK1CT Rating: 2/5 Dec 8, 2015 19:12 Send this review to a friend
K400S SO239 Broke  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the K400S with the SO239 UHF style antennas. I like to remove the Antenna when I park in city areas, or drive thru a car wash.

1) After a few months of normal on/off torque, the center socket / pin holder of the SO239 at the mount broke off. Looks like the pin was held from twisting only by the solder for the coax - I do not recommend this version. It looks difficult to repair, and $40+ from HRO to replace. Maybe the NMO version is better.

2) This mount expects the adjacent quarter panel to be flush with hatch. If the hatch is recessed, you need to find someplace else to mount it, or else the first time you close the hatch will ding the frame.

K2ETA Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with this mount  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up this mount from eBay. It was used but the mount looks very good (8/10 for cosmetics). I was surprised how well the mount weathered for the previous owner and I really love how the axis on the base turns at any interval I want.

I ended up getting this mount as a replacement to my Opek AM-204-7SM mount I got a few months ago. Unlike the Diamond mount, this mount rusted up on me and the base axis does not turn as freely (1/8th intervals).

VE9GC Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2007 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Surprising little mount  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently acquired a Little Tarheel (40-6M version) from a fellow ham. It came with the Diamond K400C mount and I must admit I had my doubts. The previous owner told me it had been trouble free and now after using it for several months I have to agree. Ok the other comments may be valid on line loss etc with the small diameter coax, but it is not like you have a 100ft run. I do check the mount adjustments periodically to be sure the screws haven't loosened any. After all sitting on the trunk lid of my Audi at highway speeds on less than smooth roads does cause some vibration and things could possibly loosen up. So far the mount, and antenna (that's a separate review) have performed well.

Only downside is the price they want for these mounts here in Canada.

Cheers,
Gordon
VE9GC

N4ABA Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 14:53 Send this review to a friend
A Real Survivor!  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 years old...been thru a 30 mph+ wreck (kid pulled out in front of me) and 100K++ miles with an ATAS-100 stuck on it. The mount still works great. A bit expensive, yes; but I've used some other mounts for VHF antennas and had them fall apart. Yup, it is a compromise solution (drilling a hole and putting in a real mount works if you have a place to do so) but when installed correctly it is an EXCELLENT solution to mounting mobile antennas. Mine will go away only when I get the full-sized screwdriver for the car. Great for rentals, too!

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Good solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed this mount on my Mazda 3 hatch back. On the previous car I had a trunk mount. I have two antennas that I use, a dual band and tri band, for my FT8900. Since we do not have any 10M FM activity here, I don't need that capability. I have not had a problem. The small cable coming off the antenna does have attenuation, but I could not find a way to use RG213 on the hatchback gate. Given the installation, it is a good compromise. For 6M use, I had to ground the antenna. This is not true for the 144/440 antenna. The hatchback gate is fiberglass, so I put a tinned ground strap under the set screws that mount the antenna to the gate and ran it to the metal frame. A DMM impedance reading confirmed that the antenna was grounded. The antenna works great.

Recently I had the tri-band antenna mounted and drove under a low branch. Realizing what I had done, I got out to inspect the damage. The antenna was broken off at bottom, but the mount (UHF) was in perfect shape. I removed the broken antenna and replaced the dual band antenna. I have since ordered a new tri-band antenna. I am pleased with the mount so far and would recommend it.

VE5NAT Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 12:34 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I currently have this mount on my sunfire with an SBB-7 comet antenna. It works great, I am not to happy with the loss from the mini cable that comes with it nor was I happy to pay nearly 40 bucks(works out to roughly $2 a foot) for the RG-8 extended cable that diamond recommends you buy. I would purchase a similar mount if it had RG-58 however my vehicle doesnt have large enough gaps for that cable.