Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount
Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Diamond deluxe mount with UHF type base. 6.5 ft. RG316 Teflon coax w/PL-259
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond K400C multi axis trunk lip mount.

NT9M Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2005 09:37 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of these on my Grand Prix...one supporting a Diamond SG7500....the other supporting Hamsticks for HF. Both have performed up to expectations without problems. The one with the Hamstick has two of the set screws going directly to the metal inside the trunk lid, where I scraped the paint off to get a good ground. It holds the Hamsticks surprisingly well, and I check the adjusting screw from time to time to assure it is tightened down. My radios are mounted in the trunk, so I appreciate the short run of RG316. I've run RG58 into the trunk from this position before and had water in the trunk as a result, so this tiny coax has kept the water outside where it belongs. Word of caution...if you are running this to radios mounted near the dash....pay close attention to Diamond's documentation. They specify a special version for longer runs of coax. Overall I'm happy with the mounts....I would give them a 5 but it seems like they are a little overpriced to me. But then again, I bought the second one anyway so I guess I voted with my pocket book! 73

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2005 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has done a very nice job of supporting an ATAS-100 mini screwdriver for over a year. I have it mounted to the top of the passenger door and regularly drive at highway speeds. It has stood up well to the rigors of wind and weather. I recommend you put some NOALOX type product on the moving parts to keep them from locking up and to provide good contact.

Coax loss is measured in Db per hundred feet. I doubt if the little bit of thin coax coming off the mount has any meaningful effect on performance. It certainly has very little effect on HF.

W0VET Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2005 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Sad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over all, this is a sad trunk lip mount. I found that it fits nicely on the truck my Nissan sedan, but only found one place on my Wrangler (soft top) - the driver door. Never mind the "good ground" because the line loss is pretty high, even on low power HF.

I don't mind a mag mount on the sedan, but now for a decent way to mount even a ham stick on the Wrangler . . .

W3NRL Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2004 15:27 Send this review to a friend
It works BUT....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this mount with ham stick for 6 meters, mounted to my hood, the RG-316 cable is poor cable with a loss worse then rg-58, with rg-316 cable only 6.5 feet gives very limited mounting.
When driving interstate (55 mph - 65 mph) very flexible, the antenna has not fallen off yet, but maybe soon. I have been told they use this mount for screwdriver type antennas...wowowowow this must interesting to see this at highway driving.

K6MTT Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2004 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Flexible and reliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Pros: easy to mount, easy adjustments, quality construction, low profile, tiny RG-316 cable fits thru seals, etc.
Cons: cheap plastic sleeve to cover adjustment screw, clamping on axis adjustment could be made better, RG-316 cable has nearly double the loss of RG-58

Overall a very good mount. I used this for the top rear door of a truck - an ideal application. It is easy to set up, and you are provided with a rubber pad for the outside, and you can use a supplied aluminum strip if you don't want to mar the interior side of the mounting surface. However, you have to get a good ground, so it's best to drive the setscrews into the metal at least on one side.

I would choose something with better cable if I could, but these are really ideal for anywhere you can't get thick cable through.

They are also available with a 3/8-24 mount, but I'm not sure I'd want anything with that much mass on this mount.