Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | N0XAS Universal Keying Adapter Help

Reviews Summary for N0XAS Universal Keying Adapter
N0XAS Universal Keying Adapter Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $10.00
Description: Interface your electronic keyer, computer, bug and/or straight key to your cathode or grid-block transmitter, or connect your solid-state transceiver to your tube amp. Ultra-simple kit has inputs for a key or keyer plus a computer input, and can key up to 400V AC or DC at up to 250 mA with its optically isolated solid state relay. By popular request the updated, new UKA-2 kit includes RCA phono jacks, provision for external power from nearly any AC or DC source, an LED to indicate activity, and more. Still great for interfacing keys to grid-block or cathode keyed rigs, computer to PTT, you name it.
More info: http://www.hamgadgets.com/

You can write your own review of the N0XAS Universal Keying Adapter.

K9SQG Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product, fantastic service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've bought over a dozen of the UKA-2 interface adaptors for use in my Drake L4B and L7 linear amplifiers. This enables me to use my linears with my vintage gear as well as the newer solid state rigs like the TS-590S.

Assembly is very, very easy. Just make sure you use a low wattage iron with a small, pointed tip, ensuring you have adequate lighting. The kit goes together quite easily and is small enough to fit into tight spaces on both the L4B and L7 linears. I'm sure the same will be true for many other amplifiers as well. Board quality is great and all parts fit properly.

Dale is a great guy, order shipping and customer service are A1 all the way. That's why I have bought so many of them. Haven't had any failures and am totally pleased with this product after many months of use. Economical way to bring your vintage amplifier into the 21 st century. And if you want to avoid key terminal shock on your boatanchor transmitter when operating CW, this interface will do the trick there as well.

Evan, K9SQG

K9FE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Now on the 3rd great version!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built and used the first 2 versions for keying my older linear amps. Picked up another older amp and it has a 90v/85ma keying signal. Really do not like thought of what it could do to a 756pro3 keying junction. So I got online and purchased the new UKA3. New model with a great history to follow. The other units I built into the amps, this one has a really nice anodized case so it will be a nice addition to the shack desk. Keep up the great work Dale! HamGadgets produces some fairly simple but totally useful kits at a great price.

K2QPN Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If I could rate the UKA-2 better than 5 I would because of Dale's customer service. I managed to blow the transistor - through my own fault. Dale suggested ways to prevent a reoccurance and replaced the transistor FOR FREE.

I use the UKA-2 for Field Day. One input is from a memory keyer and the other is from the parallel port of a laptop computer. The output goes to the key jack of the transceiver. That allows the operator to use keyer paddles, keyer memory, or computer keying. Worked great for Field Day.

73 Bob K2QPN

KD8GKR Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished adding the Rev. C inline to key a FL-2100B with a FT-950 and FT-847. This is a must have if you are looking to key a old amp with a modern transceiver. I bought the kit and it was a breeze to put together. i would recommend this to anyone needing a interface to key a old amplifier with.

VK3DAE Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used this device to operate a Yaesu FL-2100B from a Kenwood TS-2000. It takes about half an hour to assemble and is easy to hook up. Took about a week to get from Dales QTH to Australia and cost about $A24 delivered. Works well.

N2OUV Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2008 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Accessory! Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little accessory is wonderful. I have a Utah Jr. Transmitter and it has 150V across the key. I only realized this after I blew the output FET in my MFJ 401D keyer which is only good for 60 Volts.

I repaired the keyer and bought the Universal Keying Adapter online. I received immediate emails from Dale with status of my order and received the unit within 2 days!

Assembly was easy and straight forward and it has a wide input voltage range. It is nice and compact which allowed me to install it right inside the 401D case.

It operates wonderfully, you dont even know its there between the rig and keyer. It is completely silent and very very fast way better than a mechanical relay. It has no problem keying the 150 volts of my rig.

To sum it up a very handy useful accessory, easy to build and operate and excellent service when purchasing. Highly Recommended.

K9EX Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2007 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Value - Easy to Build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Afraid to connect your keyer to that old boat anchor transmitter? You should be! This little kit solves the problem.

The N0XAS Universal Keying Adpater is a wonderful way to interface your solid-state keyer to practically any older vintage tube transmitter.

Mine went together in about 15 minutes, but I spent a lot more time putting it inside a nice custom aluminum mini-box enclosure.

The result? Perfect keying of my vintage Heathkit DX-40 and Heathkit HW-16 rigs from my little N0XAS Pico Keyer!

Highly Recommended

K0WA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2007 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished putting the UKA Mark II together and hooking it up. Worked perfectly between the PROII and my Ameritron. Took 12v off the Ameritron's rear panel. Construction was easy and quick. Took about 30 minutes to construct. PCB was good. Parts excellent.

W5CPT Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2007 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Worked first time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dale helped greatly with parts identification (my old eyes are not up to those tiny markings). After the emails I hooked the IC-756 to the UKA2 and the venerable SB-200 and it worked the first time. Makes me think I could build some other kits.

SANBORN_EX_AD9DX Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2006 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Almost `Sliced Bread`  Time owned: more than 12 months

Sorry to ruin a perfect score but I had a problem with the UKA-1 keying my Swan Mark II due to the TX light being in parallel with the relay.
Not until I pulled the light bulb from behind the red TX light would the keyer then work.
I'm about to try it on a Drake L-4B and if it works fine I'll post a follow-up with a `5` rating, giving a total of a 4.5 rating from me.
If not I'll let the `4` stand...