Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | G4ZPY VHS Twin Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for G4ZPY VHS Twin Paddle
G4ZPY VHS Twin Paddle Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Very high speed iambic key
More info: http://www.g4zpy.go-plus.net/

You can write your own review of the G4ZPY VHS Twin Paddle.

W4UTI Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Still the BEST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the G4ZPY VHS for over a year now, and I think it appropriate I re-review it as to whether or not it has stood up to the test of a year's experience. You might call this review "Confessions of a CW Addict." During the past year I've bought and sold a number of paddles. (Begali, Schurr Profi-2, N0SA, Brown Bros., HK-1, Kent, VibroPlex, K8RA, Bencher) These are good paddles, but, for me, none of them could take the place of the VHS. Most CW operators will tell you that selecting a key is really a matter of peronal preference. What feels best to you is the best key for you. For me, the G4ZPY VHS is the best key for me. One reviewer found the springs too strong for his preference. The springs on my VHS are set for a very light touch and the return is fast and sure. I also use very close spacing. And I have found I prefer springs to magnets. The VHS is easy to set and it holds the settings nicely. Adjustments are so simple and the range is so large, it's worth an ops time to make small incremental changes for the best "feel." I found no instability with the paddle with my close, light adjustments. It's responsive feel is a true luxury. So my advice would be the same...You won't see one of these VHS paddles for sale very often, but if you do, GRAB IT! You won't be sorry. As for me, I've quit looking for the "perfect" key for me. I'VE FOUND IT!

W4UTI Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2012 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Best I've ever used, by far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Gordon is no longer producing keys because of health, but I was lucky enough to stumble across one on E-Bay, and WHAT A FIND! The first thing that appealed to me was its appearance. It looks "masculine" and not like a little jewel-box with two arms sticking out. But then the touch! Gordon (a fine person) told me how to set it up. The contacts are set so close I can't slip a sheet of paper between them. The touch is so light I can almost close the contacts by blowing on the paddles. I don't know what the reviewer meant who said the return was somewhat stiff. I don't know enough to comment on that. But I have used a number of keys and paddles and this is the BEST I have ever handled. I'm not too speedy but I was working at about 27 wpm and in a very short time I can handle this little jewel at 30-35. I don't think the one I got had ever been used, but if it had it had been very well cared for. If you are lucky enough to find one of these, GRAB IT! You will be glad you did.

SV1CDN Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2004 13:51 Send this review to a friend
vy gud buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using G4ZPY's VHS twin paddle for almost 6 years now, at speeds up to 40 wpm. The unit performs vy ufb! Contacts need cleaning every now and then. Gud thing abt it is that you can set it up to close at the touch of a finger, like a touch switch! And still don't miss a dit.
73's de SV1CDN AR SK ..

N2DE Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2004 16:34 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Compared to the standard version of the G4ZPY the VHS (Very High Speed) has thicker and differently shaped finger pieces, and thicker paddle arms, but the basic construction is the same. It uses a two point suspension for the arms which is secured with additional screws. Each arm is individually tensioned with an adjustable spring controlled from a tubular nut to the rear of the key assembly.

When it first appeared on the market, in 1991, this was among the finest that you could buy. So how does it stack up against similarly priced paddles today?

The basic architecture means that the return force also holds the whole mechanism together, and with a lighter return force it becomes less stable (although it won’t fly apart when you bump it …) The adjustable springs are pretty strong and will not allow the very light return force that some of todays paddles permit. The adjustments use finely threaded screws and, with a bit of patience, can be set very precisely and secured with counter nuts. My paddle with its gold plated components which will resist corrosion forever and looks spectacular.

In actual use this paddle is a pleasure, although it takes some getting used to if you are spoiled by the light touch of, say, a Begali magnetic. The rigid paddle arms and solid finger pieces allow precise control up to my highest speed, and the silver contacts are absolutely reliable. Although for actual use I prefer more recently designed paddles now, and of course there has been progress since 1991, this will remain part of my collection forever and it will see airtime every now and then.