Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Land Air Communications LTD Help

Reviews Summary for Land Air Communications LTD
Land Air Communications LTD Reviews: 265 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Hal Guretzky services and repairs ICOM,KENWOOD,COLLINS,and Yeasu radios and other brands also.And also commercial radio equipment!He is located in Richmond Hills,NY.
More info: http://www.landaircom.com

You can write your own review of the Land Air Communications LTD.

K2DGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2016 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Land Air Communications  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a Collins S-Line from Land Air Communications and am completely satisfied with my purchase. The owner, Hal Guretzky, has been repairing radios for more than 40 years. He holds many patents in radio theory and electronics. He is highly regarded and is sought after by businesses and government agencies as a consultant. There are few others in the same class as him and he is considered to be an authority on electronics and radio repair. When you buy from Land Air Communications you can be assured that your radio, or station accessory will perform as well as, or in many cases better than when it left the factory. This applies to classic as well as new equipment. Hal stands behind every sale. He does not let a radio leave his shop without it performing as it should. All purchases are covered by a 30 day warranty.

Halís showroom, located in Queens, New York, is worth a visit. When you ask Hal if he has a particular radio available for sale his typical response is: ďYes, how many do you want? All manufactures are well represented: Collins, Drake, Heathkit, Yaesu, Swan, Icom, Hallicrafters, Kenwood, Ten-Tec and many more Ė- all are in the showroom in abundance -- so much so that you might have difficulty deciding which rig to purchase because there could be 10 of the same radio available. If you are searching for a certain radio, no matter how is rare or common it is, chances are he has it in stock. In summary, if you are in the market for a radio, or an amplifier, or some other station accessory consider Land Air Communications. You will not regret your decision.

KD1TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Collins S-line  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently retired from the Air Force and I needed to have my Collins S-line repaired. I live in Ct. and wanted to find someone local because I did not want to ship the radios. I located Hal at Land Air Communications was about three and a half hours away. I called and spoke to Hal and we had a lengthy conversation about the radios and the problems I was having. The S-line was not used for 15 years due to me always deploying with the military. I went to has facility and before we even discussed the radios he gave me the tour of his operation. I was very impressed with his operation. Hal is very knowledgeable on all aspects of electronics and has five patents. He repairs and sells all radios from the old boat anchors to modern day equipment. Hal does excellent work and the turnaround time for my S-line was a week. His work is guaranteed and when I went to pick up the radio he also gave me about an hour instruction on the radio because I have not used it in 15 years. Hal also does not replace things that do not need replacing. Also, if the repairs will cost more than 50 percent of the value he will discuss the options with you before the work is done. I highly recommend his services and if you are close enough to deliver your equipment you will be highly impressed with his operation.
Jerry

KA6P Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Land Air Comm repair service was outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received a DOA FT-990 from a friend recently. The receiver was deaf, but the transmitter still worked. I called Yaesu for service, only to find that this fine radio is no longer supported; no Yaesu service or parts. So I asked who I might go to for help, and they suggested I give Hal Guretzky at Land Air Comm a call. So, that I did.
I talked to Hal for quite awhile. First, this guy is a character. That you cannot miss, as he is pretty fun to talk to from the first sentence. I mentioned that I suspected that the RF Unit board had a failure, and that I wanted to send the board in for repair. Of course he said yes, but would prefer having the FT-990 on bench. I was confident enough in my initial troubleshoot that I pushed for sending in the board only. Hal was up front in explaining the risks in my approach, but he would give it a try.
I sent in the board and he had it on bench the day after he received it. After an hour, he called to let me know that the troubleshoot effort was not yielding quick results. In an attempt to avoid excessive cost to repair an old radio, he offered to sell me a functioning board for a fair price, and he would repair my board later and put it in inventory.
Fair enough. Hal communicated at the right times, while explaining the cost risks of my approach to troubleshoot and repair, and offered up a fair solution with a fully checked out and functioning board. I couldn't ask for more of any repair service. I had the board in hand in a couple of days, and the FT-990 is fully operational and has been in use for over a month.
Kudos to Hal. He did what he said he would do, expeditiously, and at a fair price. And the conversations along the way were always informative, helpful, and fun. And what a great lead coming from Yaesu. Land Air Comm is high on my list for equipment repair. Pat - KA6P

KA2ZIU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2016 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Hal to the rescue !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once again, Hal was there to save the day. What a professional this man really is! My rig developed problems with intermittence issues, and I needed it repaired as soon as possible. Well, I called Hal, and he told me to bring it over, and he took it, and within two days it was fixed, and up and running.

Hal is a very fair man, honest, and will never steer you the wrong way, and many times over the years Hal has been there for me. I find his prices to be very fair also.

Thanks Hal, once again.

N3KEX Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Technically Proficient Radio Service Shop  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Friends, I want to tell everyone of my excellent experiences with Hal and his business, Land Air Communications LTD.

Several years ago, I bought a very rough Icom R71A and after much procrastination, decided to send it out for service as the internal lithium coin cell was going and felt that was a good time as any to send her out. I contacted Hal and advised him of the incoming repair and got a very fair estimate of the projected service. Hal called me several days later notifying of delivery, but unfortunately FedEx inflicted damage to my radio due to their "Professional Packing" and was not certain he could repair the damage but I authorized him to put a minor amount of time in and see how things go. When the FedEx wizards packed the radio, the volume control was not protected and was broken during handling. Hal discovered the damage upon opening the box. He called later that day stating the damaged potentiometer was fixed and I do not think he charged me for that. Hal offered some upgrade ideas to replace the memory board with a Piex product, so I gave the ok. A week later Hal follows up with another call telling me my radio is up and running. After my payment, Hal had the radio expertly packed and arrived back home within several days. Once I had her set up again, I was simply amazed at the old girl's performance!!!

I still own the Icom and have no plans to move her along. Moving towards present day, I continued to enjoy my R71A but wanted something classic. Digital readout is great, but I wanted a radio that would make me tune not only the radio but use my brain as well. Land Air Comm sells used and performance checked vintage equipment, so I called Hal discussing my wants.

Although Hal initially had me sold on a Collins 51S receiver, I continued to look at the Galaxy R1530 HF receiver. I vaguely remember hearing my instructors at the U.S Army Signal School speak praise of the R1530 in revered tones as the R390 and Collins equipment. This was in the late 70's and I could clearly see the direction radio design technology was heading.

So I pulled the trigger and went for the Galaxy. Because Hygain elected not to maintain the Galaxy product line, this receiver was last manufactured in 1973. I knew finding a manual would be extremely difficult, so I asked for a manual reprint. My check cleared on a Tuesday and the radio was delivered the following Friday. Upon opening the box and setting her up, no manual was found. Ugggghhhh!!!! No trouble, I got half a brain so I'll figure it out. Not going anywhere on a Friday night, figured it good entertainment for a divorced man. I sat and looked at it for a few minutes while considering tuning sequence. The r530 and R1530 employ a Wadley loop for tuning. Because the radio tunes in half megahertz increments, this is a real strap on the headphones slowly manually tune radio. After fiddling for several minutes, I recalled a CIE lesson on Specialized Receiving Equipment where the tuning procedure and illustrations were that of a Galaxy product, not certain of the model as both tune identically. The R1530 was built for a military contract, but I have not been successful in discovering the history.

Anyway, I had the old gal singing within a half hour with very impressive performance. My shack is basically a efficiency apartment with a 25 foot end fed inside wire. I feed the incoming signal to a active multicoupler distributing signal to my R71A, a Palstar, and my Galaxy. After some experimentation, I have to say the Galaxy hears things the Palstar and Icom miss.

Enough tech stuff, let's get back to Hal. The next day, Saturday, I receive a call from Hal advising the radio was shipped earlier in the week with a projected delivery of later into the following week. When I told him the radio had been delivered and working exceptionally well, Hal was pleased and after discussion of the missing manual was told he would get one out. No doubt the man runs a very successful business and it slipped through the cracks. I could tell he felt bad about it, but no trouble. If anyone has read of the man who parked a Cessna 172 sans wings in his driveway, it is Hal. I have aspirations of obtaining my Private Pilot license and have been undergoing instruction in the 172. We talked flying and radio for some time, enjoyed shooting the breeze with him. No doubt Hal is a very interesting man and I cannot articulate enough accolades of him and his business.

One day I hope to make the trip to Richmond Hill and visit Hal, from his site's pictures it appears I could wander all day in his shop seeing everything.

Some folks will call me stupid for buying a out of production model, but I feel extremely confident if she ever went south, Hal can return her to service. Some guys collect old cars, wine, what have you. I like radios and will continue to like and acquire radios. Keeps me from running the streets!

Simply stated, Hal's work is quality! He is not cheap yet extremely competent. When you find a good business you want to tell the world and last I checked, pretty much of the world is on the net so hopefully he will gain additional new business.

I look forward to future purchases from Land Air Comm and wish Hal continued success.

Ed Hutton N3KEX

KG2RY Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2015 22:27 Send this review to a friend
My twins are repaired ok:  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had sent my old Kenwood Twins to Landaircom for repair. I did this because: I had this idea: that I would study analog vs. digital communications: as technology, and also as art.

I created an audio (capture) composition entitled: SOUND_MEDITATION: in which the receiver is used. It was a significant part of this experimental composition.

As for Ham Radio, the equipment performs very well on 40 meters with a simple, basic antenna. They work like new, and exhibit the great control and performance: as I remembered them, years ago.

This configuration will be quite useful for my analog/digital study, for sure. It brings me great pleasure to operate these rigs again: as they are back in working order.

Another success for Landaircom.

KD8SAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Fast turn around, great service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my experience with Hal and his repair facility.
I have an HW-101 that stopped working when my HP-23 P.S blew up and sent higher voltages than normal into the rig. It turns out he is one of the few repairmen I could find that still does repairs on these old boat anchors. I sent the rig and power supply to him to find the problem, and he did within a week. He sold me another power supply and repaired the problems with the rig. Iím very happy with the quick turn around, and the rig works like new. The price was reasonable, and I would send it to him again if need be.
Great work, Hal.

N1ZGN Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
outstanding service and advise on radio for my truck   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
ok I talked personally with Hal the past 2-3 months and he is very experienced and helpful putting together a prefect package deal to include a icom 706 transceiver with separation kit and mount the icom at-4 tuner and a 102 foot antenna and mount for my Chevy truck he know what he doing and talking about but not sure why people would dispute his knowledge of radio repair and all for under a set price and what I do not understand is how come on the 1st 3 pages alone of all 5/5 reviews that are only 2 that are 0/5??? and yet people wrote a bad review on Hal's service on a radio that has never even been in his shop or he has never even seen it there and let alone never performed any repairs on there radio as I stated that was never there and they review was posted by w2msk Mitchell s kosofski of Bergenfield NJ I was kind enough to forward his info to landair.com and Hal says he may just drop in Mitchell for a visit on his way back to NY and how can you say he service sucks??? when you never even shipped your radio o him n if you did 1 it be fixed and 2 working 100% Mitch don't bed mouth the guy and take your stuff to some other hack and I seriously think that's what you did take it to some hack guy with a golden screw driver and he messed it up and you have a ax to grind and give Hal a bad review because of your own stupidity

KB1LYE Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Hal is #1  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all I have to say thank you Hal; what a great person and knowledgeable technician so nice to talk to on the phone also.

Well this is my story and Iím sticking to.

I bought a Yaesu FT-101-EX on eBay; I was assured that it was like or as good as new. This is the guy on eBay that makes the statement buy from me and you wonít be sorry. Buy from me and save money for the radios from me are checked out by me. I paid $450! I know you have all seen this bum on eBay! I called this bum and pretty much was told I didnít know what I was doing; he was rude! I was told that there was nothing wrong with the radio and that I had to get used to it!

Oaky I knew from day one that there was something wrong with this radio. I have had these radios in the past back in the 1970ís. I didnít talk on it but one hour in a whole year because of bad audio reports and being told that Iím off frequency. Power was about 60 watts on all bands.

I called Hal and asked if he would look at it. I boxed it up and Hal worked on it for 4 days it was a mess. It needed new tubes and a complete alinement. This was a GOOD BUDDY screwdriver nightmare to put it short everything that a golden screwdriver could touch was!. The repair list is two pages long. Please all my fellow hamís if you want good old vintage equipment call Hal. I wish that I did before buying from eBay dirt bags! Anyway I now have a Yaesu FT-101-EX thatís better than new. Hal also fixed two mics for me.

Hal you are the best and thank you again for all you did.

Don Michel KB1LYE 73ís

WN1FVQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2015 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Superb Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hal is extraordinary! Accommodating and very knowledgeable technician. I recently purchased and had serviced a classic (with some character) Collins 32S-1 and a Collins 516F2 power supply from Hal.

The packaging was superb, triple boxed....very impressive. The Collins was received in the finest state possible.

I called Hal because I had a technical question about the tubes in the power supply. I explained to Hal about the tube pin placement problem. Confident, patient, and very understanding, Hal gave me the diagnosis/solution to the tube problem and he was right on! Problem solved!

Hal is always interested in any support he can give for the Collins S-Line.

If you want to be very happy and very secure in purchasing a checked-out piece of equipment and then being able to have superb quality service and advice on vintage equipment, contact Hal.

Doug WN1FVQ