Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | IMD Meter by KK7UQ Help

Reviews Summary for IMD Meter by KK7UQ
IMD Meter by KK7UQ Reviews: 34 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $140. USD
Description: Stand alone IMD measuring device for PSK31 and PSK63 operation. The IMD Meter picks up the radiated signal from the antenna, amplifies it with a broad band AGC controlled RF amplifier, detects the transmitted wave form and analyzes it with a built in micro controller. Displays the transmitted IMD on a three digit LED display. Does not require any connection to the transmitter RF nor does it need a serial port on the computer. Covers QRP to QRO levels, 160m to 10m operation. IMD is detected and displayed in both idle mode and in typing operations. Audio alert when IMD goes above -20 dB. Design is built on a single 4 layer PCB. Packaged in plastic enclosure 4.2" x 2.75" x 1.6" deep. 4 Section telescoping antenna extends to 24".
More info: http://www.navigator-interface.com/naviusa_010.htm

You can write your own review of the IMD Meter by KK7UQ.

N6HE Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little gizmo is a solid "5 out of 5" and is indispensable if you want to be SURE your transmitted PSK signal is clean. In my experience, there's just too many variables that tend to be a bit delicate and "re-adjust" themselves, even during the same operating session. This could cause over-driven audio and a broad signal with sidebands visible on your received trace on the waterfall at the other end of a QSO (which you don't see). So getting a good sig report on the air might not apply 15 minutes later. The unit even beeps at you if your transmitted IMD is -20 dB or higher, so it's not something you need to be constantly checking. I wanted to be sure my PSK sig was clean, and this unit does it...

N3HSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to setup and use. No connection to the rig. Manual is clear and comprehensive. Fast shipping. Provides IMD for bpsk31, qpsk31 and bpsk63. Also has a field strength meter and performs a self-diagnostic when powered up.

I'm very pleased with this accessory, a FB addition to my shack.

AD5HD Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 19:30 Send this review to a friend
A necessity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Professional quality build in the form of old school packaging. Don't let that put you off, how it's works is worth every cent. Field strength and PSK31 or PSK63 IMD readout in real time? Absolutely priceless. Can't think of a single negative. Manual is comprehensive, shipping is prompt and well packed, use is intuitive, and the field strength meter function is a freebie also needed to let you know the IMD readout is valid. Highly recommended.

W0ACT Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A high quality, easy to read & use meter, that helps me do my part in putting out a clean signal on the air.

Makes me feel good when I hear remarks about how clean your signal looks during a QSO.

Payment was easy and delivery was very fast.

If you PSK, I highly recommend one.

KB0LCO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Never believing my IMD reports I get, I always worried about my signal. You got those reports one is perfect in two minutes the next is so so. Since a lot of people do not know how to give a IMD report, problem solved. While the meter cost is high no more worry. Unit is self contained, light and functions flawlessly.
Hooked unit up, adjusted my radio (run psk on 2 different radios) and I now show that I transmit at -34 IMD constantly. Using this unit to maintain my signal I get perfect reports and have been told numerous times that I have the brightest waterfall on the screen. Unit has been used on 5 to 35 watts transmits.
If you are in psk31 to stay then this unit is for you. Small price to pay to have a perfect signal in this narrow band. As hams it is our goal to put out the best signal that we can.
When I ordered the unit on a wednesday stock was out but was going to be assembled starting the next day on thursday. That monday the unit was in may hand. 6 days from order to manufacture to ship and received. How can it get better than that. Very excellent gentleman to do business with. Highly recommend.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
A tool everyone psk op should have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received this little wonder. Interesting how much the signal / quality / IMD changes from band to band and with different antennas. For me, this is like having an amp or beam for psk31/63. It lets me maximize my signal and not worry about over-driving on the waterfall. It takes the wonder out of whether or not you are splattering all over the waterfall. Like an antenna analyzer, this is a must have in the shack,
KT4EP
oh... ordered it last week before Memorial Day and received prompt reply by email and quick turn-around from Jim.

N2EIK Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2012 05:31 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to uncheck "auto" and manualy adjust input in DM780 soundcard interface to get a clean IMD...Who knew?!?!?
Great little meter! Worth every penny!

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2011 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Accesssory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a NUE-PSK Modem and previously set my power at 35 to 40 watts. I would get IMD reports all over the map. I decided to purchase the KK7UQ IMD meter to see what my signal really was. I found that I could run 40 to 45 watts with my ICOM 706 MKiiG and still be at -27 dB. I now ignore the IMD report when it's given because I found out that if the noise floor is high the on air report is useless.

Mark KC3JV

W5WRJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2011 17:43 Send this review to a friend
The only thing for PSK31  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you do PSK31, you need this!!! All I can say is that it tells me I am clean and thats all I need. Well thought out and very dependable. I have tried the others and this is the only one you will need.

WA6TWJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2010 01:15 Send this review to a friend
I should have bought sooner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I recently purchased this fully assembled and tested unit. It is all that it is advertised to be, in my opinion. Before I had the KK7UQ IMD meter, I had to guess and approximate the best I could to get the proper IMD TX audio levels. I think MOST of the time I was doing okay without it? But, I got tired of having to ask my fellow Amateur Radio Op's the same question? Does my signal look clean to you? Now I have confidence that I am putting out a clean signal. Makes running PSK-31 and PSK-63 more fun with less stress. At least that is my view on the matter. I would recommend this unit to anyone who is involved in PSK modes on a regular basis. One of the better pieces of diagnostic hardware out there in my opinion. Affordable price too! Thanks Clint and Jim for making this unit available to the Ham community. I should have bought this sooner!