Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | IMD Meter by KK7UQ Help

Reviews Summary for IMD Meter by KK7UQ
IMD Meter by KK7UQ Reviews: 35 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $155. USD
Description: Stand alone IMD measuring device for PSK31 and PSK63 operation. The IMD Meter picks up the radiated signal from the antenna, amplifies it with a broad band AGC controlled RF amplifier, detects the transmitted wave form and analyzes it with a built in micro controller. Displays the transmitted IMD on a three digit LED display. Does not require any connection to the transmitter RF nor does it need a serial port on the computer. Covers QRP to QRO levels, 160m to 10m operation. IMD is detected and displayed in both idle mode and in typing operations. Audio alert when IMD goes above -20 dB. Design is built on a single 4 layer PCB. Packaged in plastic enclosure 4.2" x 2.75" x 1.6" deep. 4 Section telescoping antenna extends to 24".

eMail for info: imd-meter@verizon.net

More info: http://kj3n.ddns.net:8080/

You can write your own review of the IMD Meter by KK7UQ.

WA6TWJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2010 01:15 Send this review to a friend
I should have bought sooner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I recently purchased this fully assembled and tested unit. It is all that it is advertised to be, in my opinion. Before I had the KK7UQ IMD meter, I had to guess and approximate the best I could to get the proper IMD TX audio levels. I think MOST of the time I was doing okay without it? But, I got tired of having to ask my fellow Amateur Radio Op's the same question? Does my signal look clean to you? Now I have confidence that I am putting out a clean signal. Makes running PSK-31 and PSK-63 more fun with less stress. At least that is my view on the matter. I would recommend this unit to anyone who is involved in PSK modes on a regular basis. One of the better pieces of diagnostic hardware out there in my opinion. Affordable price too! Thanks Clint and Jim for making this unit available to the Ham community. I should have bought this sooner!

K6DIL Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2010 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Revealing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use a 10 Watt K3 and a Tokyo Hy-Power 45 Watt amp. Proper drive levels to the PA are impossible to ascertain without this handy device. In fact, drive levels not only vary from band to band, but, in the same band from one end of the waterfall to the other.

Without this device you are guessing.

KF2GQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2010 08:05 Send this review to a friend
Every ham doing PSK should have it in their shack.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this IMD meter since April 2007. It is very easy to use. Just plug in the power cord and set the switch to PSK31, and you will know if your signal is clean or not. I wish some of my fellow hams had one in their shack. The waterfall would be a lot easier to read without all the splatter.

N8VZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2010 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Best way to get clean PSK signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my IMD Meter now for a couple of months. It makes it very easy to keep your PSK signal clean and crisp. This is best illustrated by the first QSO I had after using the IMD Meter to adjust the output from my ICOM 7600. The other station, totally unsolicited by me, remarked how clean my signal was. He said it was the best looking trace on his waterfall at that time. I told him I was using the IMD Meter by KK7UQ, and he said he was very impressed. The IMD Meter is very easy to use. You just plug it in to a 12VDC source and turn it on. Then as you transmit a PSK31 (or PSK 63) signal you adjust your audio output levels until a little green light goes on and a little red light goes off. That's all there is to, and you'll have the best looking PSK signal on the other guy's waterfall. It's that easy. No connection to your antenna or to your transceiver is needed. A neat little addition to any PSKers shack. Highly recommended.

N9VV Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Superb service from JIm KJ3N  Time owned: more than 12 months
IMD Meter is now (November 2009) supported by Jim KJ3N. I wrote and asked about repair for my very old (original) KK7UQ IMD Meter. Jim has repaired it at a VERY fair price and is returning it to me in new condition. This kind of professionalism and kindness is missing from many parts of Ham Radio, but not from the heart of Clint and Jim.
TNX,
73 de Ken N9VV

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 04:05 Send this review to a friend
indispensible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would be hardpressed to get my psk signal right without this piece of gear. I never fully understood all the mubo-jumbo about adjusting mic gain till the alc just moved then back it off till it no longer moved. That was just to tedious. With the alc meter, you just adjust the sound card volume till your IMD is less than 24db or so.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does exactly what it says and does it well.

Nice piece of gear. PSK peace of mind.

Wayne

WA5KPE Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2009 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IMD Meter works exactly as advertised. Ordered on Monday and received it on Friday. I get unsolicited comments on my clean signal when my K2/100 is running -28dB to -34dB even occasionally at 50 watts on 80M which I am able to do because of the IMD Meter.

I find that I use the field strength function as much if not more than the IMD function.

W6VZV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 08:23 Send this review to a friend
An essential accessory for the digital ham  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up the IMD Meter by KK7UQ from US Interface, and I am very glad that I did. This is a really nice piece of equipment. I purchased the already-built version, and the quality of the construction is above reproach, and it matches the styling of the excellent US Interface Navigator with a solid aluminum chassis. The unit has a bright red LED readout that is a pleasure to view.

No cables other than the power cord, so the IMD Meter does not add to the clutter of one's shack. In use, it is great to know that you are putting out a clean signal. A lot of ham radio software is pretty hit-or-miss as far as the accuracy of the IMD readings, particularly when conditions are poor and the S/N ratio is not so hot. The IMD Meter frees you from depending on other hams for monitoring your signal quality.

The unit is useful and inexpensive and I only wish that I had gotten one sooner.

WD0EDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Fit and Finish  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Until you have this little box sitting on your desk you are unaware it would be so handy. When I purchased my Navigator I decided to give one of these a test drive, and it has been running ever since. Using the IMD meter instantly tells you that you have achieved the best quality of signal that you can achieve. The IMD meter leaves no unknown feedline problems unannounced. When using it you will receive routine unsolicited comments on the quality of your BPSK-31 signal. This should be without doubt on the list of needed accessories that you will be very satisified with. Please keep in mind this is the same “BEST of the BEST” tech support team that originated with Clint (KK7UQ) in kit form and is now fully assembled from Glenn (W3GWW) the maker of the Navigator by US Interface. Do yourself a favor and buy one, you will be ever so glad you did.