Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Workman 104 VHF-UHF SWR Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Workman 104 VHF-UHF SWR Wattmeter
Workman 104 VHF-UHF SWR Wattmeter Reviews: 13 Average rating: 1.9/5 MSRP: $28.99
Description: VHF-UHF SWR Wattmeter 120-500 MHz 52 ohm 150 Watts Max Power Workman Electronic Products 11955 County Road 10-2 Delta, Ohio 43515-9748 800.537.7107 Fax: 419.923.7145

You can write your own review of the Workman 104 VHF-UHF SWR Wattmeter.

GYPSYJON Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2016 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It does what it says it will do. Nicely made unit, works just fine. I have no complaints at all. Robust construction, fairy priced.

AF5NP Rating: 0/5 Jan 13, 2016 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Two Huge Failures & One Maybe  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tested on 147MHz. Only thing that worked properly is the SET function where you key up and adjust the knob to infinity. Went to check SWR and quickly discovered that the function select switch was wired backwards (SWR & Power reversed). That could be remedied but SWR seemed unrealistically low across the 2m band. Then went to check power and observed that the Watt meter reads about 3 times high (5W shows 15, 10W shows 30, higher power TX pegs meter). Sending back to Amazon.

KF4ZHL Rating: 0/5 Apr 6, 2015 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked once on VHF, maybe. Once I set it, it read 1:1 through the whole band, which isn't possible. Watt meter worked though. As soon as I tried it on UHF, it blew up on 10 watts. A little puff of smoke and no reading. Luckily, my radio was not damaged in the process. I want back my MFJ that someone snatched.

AE4SE Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2015 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Cheap! Quality Poor!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this over a year ago. Played with it alot. Readings were fine on low power but never same on higher wattages. Decided to take it apart an see if I could determine the problem. Very tight fit, close connections but all seemed well. At first I thought meter itself was at fault. Could not find a numerical on meter anywhere just took a guess of 200uA an started there. Some parts came apart as quickly unsoldered from the board. The traces came right up. So I took the whole unit apart. The wires to meter were partly broken, traces came off board in a few places, the two SO-239 were no good to begin with. The centers came out. I mean fell out of the socket into my hand. I have never seen this happen before. It became clear why the unit was unreliable. I took the parts that were left, put them on a perf board of my making, added new connectors, changed meter out to a 250uA one because i could not find correct meter. All in meter was a big experiment on what not to purchase an spent several hours working on a new project trying to get a working meter. I think I would have accomplished the task if I had on hand the correct meter. The whole mass of the problem was quality. The connectors certainly casused poor an unstable reading, the board was poorly made, an my guess is the meter itself was at fault from the beginning. If the quality of parts were of choicer pieces, the unit would be a great buy. Quality is not there, construction I thought was ok. Just poor quality parts to begin with.
This is no Diamond, Comet, or MFJ meter I have used. I would pass it by if I had to do it all over again. Since then I have seen more than a few used for sale, may or may not be working I was told. If you can get two for $10 go for it an use one for parts or fun project. You really would be better off getting schematics from some magazine an build your own from scratch. Save time an money.

KK6FAD Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2013 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit, fairly accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this unit for several weeks. Watt readings are right on for lower power settings up to about 30 watts . Higher power settings of 50 watts and more are off the scale. The SWR readings seem about right, but I don't have another meter to compare them to. Unit seems to be well built and is pretty compact.

WB7OSR Rating: 2/5 Jan 14, 2012 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Quality is good, calibration was off by 50%.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Workman 104 was off by 50% on the power scales, compared to a Bird wattmeter, from 5 to 50 watts on 2 meters. I did not bother to run any curves on it.

Also, my meter wouldn't "zero." It shows about 1 watt, standing still.

I opened the meter up and looked at the solder joints. They seemed to be perfect so the Chinese may have improved quality in this area.

Anyone purchasing this meter better be able to check the calibration on it. Although the instruction sheet didn't mention it, the power meter is adjustable, through a hole in the back, but I don't know if the compressed, non-linear scale is accurate.

AC4HR Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2011 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad low price meter...I like it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave it a 4 only because some of the soldering is poor. Now it is 2011, and some of the prior reviews were written back as far as 2004. I have had mine for over a year and I just now broke it.. I dropped it on a very hard floor. Short story..One of the cold solder joints holding the center conductor between the two SO-239s let go. I cleaned up the soldering to the connectors and it came back to life. Hey, if you want a commercial, professional watt meter pay the $200 to $500 it would cost. but when you only paid $28 for a unit, don't bitch if it a little shy of perfect. AND it is NOT made in china.

SLIMJIM8094 Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2010 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't suck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I assume the people who wrote the reviews here came here in the first place because they had bad experiences. No, this is not a super fancy meter, but it's cheap and it works.

It seems like everybody here is forgetting to read the instructions. Admittedly, they're written like crap, but pretty straightforward.

To summarize: Tune the frequency you'd like to check, set the meter switch to "SET" (center), and key up. The needle will do something - fiddle with the set knob to put the needle on the ∞ (infinity) marking. Then you can measure wattage/swr on that frequency.

I have no other SWR meter yet, so I've been minimizing the readout. But the wattage is spot on, so it's definitely doing something right.

Long story short - you absolutely have to calibrate it properly. Then it should work fine.

KO6JT Rating: 2/5 Nov 24, 2009 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Not good !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Walkman 104 needs to be trashed.
very poor, on both bands
great meter for those that like to fix things.

----------------------------------------------

N3IDG Rating: 0/5 Aug 8, 2009 19:00 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: months
as was said run away my was given to me new in package says my talkie is doing a 150 watts plus on both bands , also says swr is 5 to 1 oin both bands double checked swr with my trusted meter was 1.2 to 1 both bands . glad it was free and no money was wasted on it . workman should be ashamed to even sell thias item . pat n3idg/2