Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC796D Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC796D
Uniden BC796D Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $599
Description: The BC796D Digital Capable Scanner is APCO 25 Capable with 1000 channels, 10 banks, 10 priority channels and continuous band coverage.
More info: http://www.uniden.com/product.cfm?product=BC796D

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC796D.

AK3Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2010 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Great features, reliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While this scanner is older it is still great, and has most if not all of the features one needs. Audio is clear, lcd readout is ample, and sensitivity is excellent with minimal overload.
This unit is about 6 yrs old and works as good as the day it was purchased. Traded some ham gear with a friend and we are both very pleased!

NA0AA Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2007 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm giving it 4 out of 5 for it's relative complexity to program and setup, given I have no previous scanner experience.

I only use one trunked system but use it also for ham, aviation and marine use as well as public service applications.

the programmable band scanning is very useful if you are a search oriented listener.

I find that a Diamond Discone antenna works pretty well for my needs [mine is up fairly high - like 35'], and covers the entire receive band of the scanner.

Sensitivity seems adequate - I get aviation band signals at great distances from aircraft and most ATC as well due to a local communications outlet.

Pre-programmed scanning for some services, including CB, FRS/GMRS and the like are also probably useful to emergency responders.

Mine is on many hours a day with no problems so far.

Mine mainly functions to keep me informed locally and serves my needs - I bought up line to make sure I'd have some lifetime with this equipment.

It comes with three power supplies - AC wall wart, car accessory outlet cord and plain 12 volt dc cord, a small telescoping antenna and a mounting bracket.

I recommend an external speaker - the cheap MFJ is a big improvement over the internal speaker.

N8CHB Rating: 3/5 Dec 10, 2005 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Detroit mpscs system  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a live radio feed using a BC796D scanner.

If you would like to listen in the URL is:

tell us why
you give it the rating you did (required) I checked OK because don't know what I am comparing it to.
If a communications radio than I would say a toaster. hi hi

The reason for this review is that I keep reading about folks bitching and complaining that they can't recieve Detroit, Michigan

Roger

AB8ST Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2005 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner, but having a problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned my BC796D for about a year now and I've finally had then time to actually figure out all of its features. I'm having a problem
though with Michigan's 800 MHz Digital system; I live in the Upper Peninsula. I have the scanner set to trunk, programmed the correct control channel (frequency) in, and have a few talkgroups entered in. The scanner ID SCANs the talkgroups while on the data/control channel
and when there is activity, it switches to another frequency and audio can be heard, but only bits a pieces since it keeps switching back and forth from the data/contol frequency to the other frequency. How do I get it to stay on the active frequency until the transmission is
over? I can't seem to figure this out; I'd appreciate it if someone has any ideas to let me know (my email is available under my callsign at QRZ.com). Other than this, I haven't had any problems with it and I have it on 24-hours 7-days a week.

WA8UDE Rating: 2/5 Mar 5, 2005 10:20 Send this review to a friend
1st year Engineering students design scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Am I expecting too much or should a receiver listing at nearly $600 be of fairly good quality? I didn't expect a state of the art communications receiver but GEESH! Susceptible to inter-mod; very poorly designed software is "childish" and not worth installing; Manual is better than some but unless you have a good understanding of the basics, you're going to be in the dark a long time; it is one of only a few that can decode the Michigan system so in a field of few, it's OK; I suspect as others come into the market this will die a slow death. To bad because itís a nice compact, good looking and a good sounding radio. It could have been so much better with a little thought and concern for the end user.

KC0SOG Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2005 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Complicated Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this to scan the county digital system. You "will" have a learning curve with this scanner. It "will" take some time to understand the idiosyncracies of this scanner.

Good points:
1) Can scan both trunked and conventionals at the same time.
2) Many options to customize how you like to monitor. Maybe "too" many!

Problems:

1) Not enough banks and/or too many channels per bank (10 banks of 100). 20 banks of 50 would be better.

2) This is a serious issue: When trunking in SCAN ID mode, you cannot switch scanner banks without first putting it into SEARCH ID mode, or you will inadvertently shut off a LIST ID and then wonder why in the heck the police aren't talking.

3) I think the display could be improved. Some stuff is not necessary and some stuff like banks and list ID could be dedicated to the display.

You probably need to have software to control this rig if you monitor a lot of stuff, but the supplied Uniden software is buggy and...well...stinks!

I dedicate my scanner to the digital system and a few conventionals, so I only use the supplied software to program the freqs.

All things considered, the BC796D is a pretty good effort

Doug - KC0SOG

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2004 10:27 Send this review to a friend
One wicked scanner!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing has so many features that I'll still be trying to grasp all of them a year from now! It works great on both conventional and trunked scanning and I haven't noticed any deafness under 400 mHz or anywhere else! I also have a Uniden 785D and it seems to lock onto the control channel not as well as the 796D. It also must be noticed that the manual is better written! I can actually UNDERSTAND it!! Good job, Uniden!!

JV257 Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2004 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Good Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have found this to be an excellent scanner for 400 Mhz and above. The APCO 25 demod works very well. I must say though that the performance on bands below 400 Mhz is not so good, particularly -the scanners ability to deal with strong signals -the front end could do with some beefing up and the sensitivity on VHF lo and airband could be better.

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2004 00:01 Send this review to a friend
Butel makes it Perfect!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I tried using the included software with mine, and found it clumsy, slow, lacking in features, and prone to the ocassional lockup. After joing several scanner groups on Yahoo!, and seeing what other people were using, I downloaded and paid for the Butel software. It works perfectly, and even has a way to cut-and-paste frequency lists off websites. It also makes editing the scan lists, deleting/deactivating channels, and loading different frequency lists extremely easy. Well worth the few dollars you pay for it, and support is excellent. Ask a question, and Gommert replies within hours, and sometimes minutes! Very well done, and makes a really good scanner into something even better>

BMI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 18:43 Send this review to a friend
computer controlled rules  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I find the 796D an exellent scanner that has a lot of features. I will also agree with the other person and say that computer controlled receivers our the way to go. It really makes things more simpler so you can enjoy the hobby more.The software that comes with it is pretty good but I have heard that BUTEL is the ultimate for this scanner so it would be worth looking into. As far as sensitivity goes I find that it does work pretty good however I cannot tell its full potential yet with running a 2 dipole antenna on it right now. My antenna hooked up to this rig is pretty weather battered and I need to update this. This is on everytime I walk in the door at home so it gets quite of bit of use.As far as the cons well i can't really find any, although to get this receiver you'll have to shell out some bucks with it being so new. I think this is a scanner for the moderate to serious listener.I am not a ham operator but I use this website very often so I wanted to give my 2 cents worth. God Bless.