Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Mini Speaker SH2P4 Help

Reviews Summary for Mini Speaker SH2P4
Mini Speaker SH2P4 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $7-10
Description: Imported mini speaker with bracket, metal grille, and cord

You can write your own review of the Mini Speaker SH2P4.

N2CSA Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2011 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Great For IC-2820  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these little beauties mounted in the rear of my truck. One is on the left side and one on the right. The IC-2820 has two remote speaker jacks one for the left side of the radio and one for the right. I have the digital bank on the left side of the 2820 and analog on the right. I can tell by sound localization which radio bank is active, a neat trick. For an inexpensive small speaker the sound is acceptable too.

KC1JB Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2010 13:16 Send this review to a friend
These are keepers  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I typically do not rely on speakers for following QSOs; I'm a headphones kind of ham. But I picked up two of these -- one for my HF rig, the other for my 2m/440 radio -- and I couldn't be more pleased.

I have designed my shack as a grab-and-go station for emergency communications use, so I didn't want bulky speakers mounted on the top shelf. Nor did I want expensive ones there.

Not only were these a bargain, but their low profile and adequate performance fit my needs exactly.

As for sound quality, I can run the audio on my FT817ND nearly full up before they being to give me some slight fuzz -- and the sound fills my shack/study long before that happens. Likewise with my 2m/440 radio.

These clearly are not the finest speakers money can buy. But they are more than adequate for my needs.

WA7TN Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2010 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Best for Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I attached this little wonder to my mobile installation (FT-7800R) and base station. It is very good in the mobile - clear and crisp with lots of audio. The 4 ohm speaker does just fine there. The base is another situation. I tried it out on my IC-751A and found the speaker inadequate. Signals were difficult to hear clearly and the sound got lost in the room.

I give this speaker a 5 in a mobile and a 2 or 3 as a base. The price is unbelievable ($6 plus shipping). You will be pleased in mobile installations and even at $6 I think you'll want a larger speaker for a base.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2010 17:15 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These things are amazing for the money. They are very small, but you can drive them hard without distortion. I bought 4 for $35 on e-bay. That was the way they were packaged and sold. They sound very clear, and seem solidly made. Great Value
73 Jim K0UA

KA2IWR Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2006 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought at least two of these at hamfests for around $5.00 for both and I'm very pleased with the audio quality from them. I have one hooked up in my ham shack and the other is in my car when I use my two meter rig. You simply can't beat them.

KC9EIZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
The Best Mini-Speaker For The Price!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The SH2P4 is a FANTASTIC speaker especially considering they are again available on e-Bay for under $7.00 - search for SH2P4 - I have $80.00 speakers that I have put away in favor of the SH2P4's - the SH2P4 really do sound much better than the more expensive speakers.

The 9 foot cord, 90 degree plug, metal screen front coupled with a very neutral sound and the ability to be driven at high volume make these a keeper!!

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2005 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with a previous poster. These little jewels ARE a well-kept secret.

I bought one a couple of years ago at a hamfest in Ky. Just a minute ago, I tried it versus a couple of other speakers I have attached to my Icom R7000, which is tuned to a local rock station.

The audio is amazing! I will say this... I have the high $ Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, RCA, Radio Shack, Akai, JVC etc, etc.

Speakers are kind of a sub-hobby of mine. I have hundreds, no exageration! I live close to the local County 'recycling center', and bring home dozens of stereos, speakers, TVs, etc every week.
People have small problems with electronics and chuck 'em. When they throw away a CD Player, they also pitch a set of perfectly good speakers....
I have found some HUGE high end speakers just sitting there waiting for a new home. ha ha

These little guys sound just amazing compared to everything else I have at present. They are NOT bassy like a good stereo speaker, but perfect for communications use.

Try one, for the $, you CAN't lose!

You will be VERY happy with your purchase,,,,,

ron

N4UE

N0RQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2005 11:06 Send this review to a friend
very small, but good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you need a *small* speaker, I doubt you'll be disappointed in this no-brand generic speaker. They're not studio-quality, but they don't sound too bad -- pretty good for the size -- and when you consider the size and the price, they are very good. They came with a generous length of speaker wire and a 1/8" plug.

$5 + shipping on ebay, search for SH2P4 (make sure to check the "search description" box). Or you can do a google search and find a few resellers.

I mounted two of them in the corners of the front dash, one in each corner -- one for the left side of the IC-2720, one for the right -- makes it nice, being able to tell which side of the radio the signal came in on, without having to look at the radio.

I probably wouldn't be happy with this speaker for serious HF, but for VHF FM, it works fine.

K6MTT Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2004 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Great deal for a great little speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
These things have to be the best-kept secret around. They are imported, no brand, and usually have a single sticker on them which says "SH2P4".

They typically sell for $5 to $8 each (don't pay more!) and I think that's a great price. They are actually well-built, with metal grille over a plastic case, mounting bracket and a long very flexible cord with a right-angle 1/8" mono audio plug.

I think they are great. I am used to using Motorola, GE, etc. communication speakers and I find these to be just as good - and even better for several of my Yaesu boxes which tend to be bassy. These speakers do tend to be less bassy than most, but are totally up to blasting when you need it - they are not "tinny". I took a chance on one - and now I use them for all my VHF/UHF rigs and scanners.

You can find them occasionally on eBay, use "SH2P4" to search.