Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Degen 1102 Help

Reviews Summary for Degen 1102
Degen 1102 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $75
Description: Same as the Kaito 1102. Covers all shortwave 3-29.999 mhz. Also AM/FM.

You can write your own review of the Degen 1102.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Super Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice radio - great price - a lot of radio for the money. It does what it is supposed to do, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Lives up to specifications and reputation. I have really enjoyed this little radio - especially good travel radio, used it on the camp ground and worked swell with a random wire tossed up in a tree, but it works OK on its own whip (and it won't overload if you give 50-70 feet of wire to work on. Worked even better on my 43 foot vertical monopole - it expects a high impedance antenna, and the big stick really brought it to life. Stable, no drift. Good little rig.

That's MY take, anyway... / James -K8JHR /

KB1ONC Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent beginner SWL radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is a great little beginner radio for novice SWLers. Bought mine from a fleabay dealer in Shanghai; the price was right, but the manual was a bit challenging. I've never felt that I had to use anything other than the whip to listen to AM, FM or SW. What I like most about the Degen/Kaito 1102 is its compact size; smaller than almost any paperback book I've taken when I travel. It's accompanied me on vacations, family trips and camping. There's nothing like staying up late in a tent away from QRM and finding out what you miss when you're listening in "civilization". If my niece shows an interest in radio I just might give up my 1102 - maybe.

Pete W1SLP

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 21:19 Send this review to a friend
A great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had to post again to correct a comment in my 1st post on the Degen 1102. In that review I mentioned a problem with 'images'. It turns out that I was having a senior moment then, I mixed up my small SW radios. The little Degen 1102 is a fine radio...I was NOT having image problems with it, a Grundig crankup emergency radio was the culprit there. The Degen 1102 is fine - great sensitivity, terrific sound, etc. Tonight I ran it through its paces..with a list of broadcasts to North America at various times I was punching in the frequencies and there they were..the stations would pop right in..Radio China International, Taiwan Radio, Vatican City Radio, a station in Croatia and on and on. I apologize if my confusing the image problem of the Grundig Emergency crankup radio may have caused someone to miss out on a genuinely great radio.
Bill
KC9CS

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Best small rcvr I've ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years now. Cost was less than $50 on ebay, shipping added another $18. I learned of the Degen 1102 on a forum group and was intrigued so I ordered it. It has turned out to be one of my best radio purchases ever. Direct frequency entry with the front panel keypad makes it awesome. AM is very good, FM stereo is unbelievable, especially when bass boost is added. So much fidelity from a tiny radio. SW reception at first was a bit less than my expectations...maybe they were too high based on what I'd read about the radio. It did an adequate job on the stronger SW stations but I was troubled by images over the bands. This was with the telescoping antenna being used. Once I hooked an external antenna to the radio though, it came alive and just about anything I could hear on my Icom 756 Pro II or my FT 847 could be heard on the little Degen 1102. And since this little radio could even tune SSB I loved the ability to listen in on the ham bands. Punch in a frequency, push the SSB button and with some delicate finesse tuning of the thumbwheel fine tuning I could listen to sideband. Now, I lie in bed at night and listen to the 80 meter discussions or even tune in CW and sharpen my CW skills. How good does it tune? I've used it to decode PSK31 signals on 20 and 40 meters EASILY! I love this radio and it has literally a few thousand hours on it. Comes with rechargeable batteries, just plug the radio in and you can either quick charge in an hour or do a slow trickle charge. It has a 240 to 120 volt transformer included...I didn't trust that because it seemed to run warm so I tossed it, got a universal supply from Radio Shack. I turn the radio on, the nifty blue backlit display comes on, plug it in and the backlight will stay illuminated. Has a bunch of memories for all your favorite SW stations or ham net freqs. If something happened to this one, I'd find another somehow. I'm that attached to this radio. The only drawback is that the little flip out tilt stand on the back is a bit flimsy and prone to break, I don't use it so mine's still good. Even the manual, with both English and Chinese is pretty well translated. Highly recommended as a take anywhere little SW radio and easily on par with more expensive small Sony's, Grundigs, Eton's, etc.

WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2007 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Good SW rig for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Degen 1102 on ebay, over a year ago, it is well worth the money, I like the display and it plays very well. I use it to receive qrp signals on 40M while away from the home qth and does a very good job. There is some wobble in the fine-tuning but 90% of the time it is not a problem. It receives very well across the bands for short wave broadcasts. I have put up an AM broadcast loop it picks up pretty good DX at night. This one is so small that you can take it anywhere. I like the fact that you can charge the batteries and not have to pull them out of the rig. There is more on this little wonder on yahoo groups.

IZ8FNY Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Little but great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this little (but great) radio for about two years. I will summarize my usage impressions as follows:

PRO
+ sensitivity
+ dimensions
+ charger and rechargeable batteries
+ wide/narrow filter
+ battery life
+ selectivity in FM band

CONS
- some intermod (from local FM broadcat repetears)
- not many buttons used for many functions
- volume regulation is done by mean of two buttons (not continuos like a knob)...too bad :-(
- 76..108 MHz band is a mirror of 88..108 MHz ;-)
- no LSB/SSB selection

VECTAC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 04:37 Send this review to a friend
It grows on you and GROWS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the reviews on this little gem when I was suffering HF RX restrictions, namely because my trusty FRG 7700 has blown a power diode? Or similar. To add to that, my standby receiver, a Sony ICF 2001, had 12volts inadvertently put through it.
I was scanning Ebay adverts looking for a cheap second hand Sony, when I happened across a Realistic DX390. (okay so I found out there are no cheap Sonys Hi)I ended up buying that and as luck would have it, discovered an ad for the Degen 1102 direct from China.
I read the reviews on this site and became very tempted. A quick mental arithmetic session told me I could afford it without the XYL going bonkers, so I was in! The receiver was delivered promptly by mail new in the box, with instructions in both English and Chinese. Because of the informative nature of the reviews, I was able to flash it up with no real drama, with minimal reference to the book. Because the DX390 was delivered from interstate, I was able to compare the two side by side. The DX 390 is a receiver packed with features that I was used to in my Sony(less a few)and its pre selected memories sorted to metre bands are handy to someone like me. The clock display and alarms, sleep modes are all what you'd expect from a top line Rxer - Lovely radio - BUT! DEAF as a post! - Even with a long wire attached.
Enter the Degen! This little gem is sitting on my kitchen bench under a fluorescent light next to a refrigerator receiving SSB on 6MHZ from all over the Pacific off the telescopic antenna. Yes the SSB adjusting wheel is touchy, but hey who cares? This radio is singing away like a bird in a hostile RF receive environment. Add the fact that it makes a perfect bedside radio with its blue light and red LED S meter, even the XYL approves of its aesthetic value. When you take into account the on board battery charge function, auto off, stereo through earpieces reception, it does grow and grow in stature! For the price compared to top name receivers, this is a winner!

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2007 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for the cost!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
for the cost, this is a great little radio. Does it do as well as my TS-450S...No...but for a take-along on camping trips, it does very well.
think i paid 80 bucks ?? or so

K4IDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2007 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little guy is every bit as good as my #1 choice in SW radios, the SW7600GL from Sony. Neither is a 2010, but for under $100 you won't find a better radio. SSB works great, great sensitivity, and suprisingly nice audio. Go buy one.

BREIL54 Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Fell in love with this little radio within 5 minutes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Degen DE1102 (Kaito KA1102 in North America) is absolutely fantastic! It certainly lives up to all the positive things reviewers have said about it.

It is as good as my 14 year old Panasonic RF-B45. The Degen outshines the Panasonic with its 'wide' and 'narrow' bandwidth. The shortwave frequencies match the Panasonic for selectivity, although, perhaps, it's reception is a bit clearer. MW is a bit better overall. In Malaysia however the selection of MW stations is not as numerable as in the US; nevertheless, I was able to pull in a station in Vietnam that I could not get on my Panasonic, plus several Thai, Indonesian and Chinese stations. FM is more selective than the Panasonic as well. Bass and stereo reception may be heard with the earphones on FM.

Some reviewers fault the ergonomics (i.e. paging system), but I find it no more confusing than some 3G cell phones. As for the push button volume control, well, again, it's like so many cell phones; you get used to it. I only find that it's not as loud as the Panasonic, but I suppose after-market speakers could remedy this. The blue backlight and rechargeable batteries are an asset too.

The radio is about the size of a postcard. Reminds me of the old pocket transitor radios back in the 1960s. It will definitely be a keeper whenever I travel overseas.

As for the price, it's definitely worth it. You get a lot of radio for the buck. I bought my Degen DE1102 from China, and it was a lot cheaper than what you'll find elsewhere on the web. If you opt for this and you live in the US, you might consider getting a 110 volt power adaptor.

My only hope now is that it gives me as many years of listening pleasure as the Panasonic RF-B45.