Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Degen 1102 Help

Reviews Summary for Degen 1102
Degen 1102 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $75
Description: Same as the Kaito 1102. Covers all shortwave 3-29.999 mhz. Also AM/FM.

You can write your own review of the Degen 1102.

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2006 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Small Radio- Big Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a small portable with ssb/cw capability for out of town weekend jaunts. I had been taking a Grundig FR200 which I found very small,light and good for SWLing but was frustrated by it's lack of a BFO. I read the reviews here and at RadioIntel and deceided on the Kaito KA1102 (Degen 1102). Well worth it. I live in a high RF area (major TV and radio xmitters nearby) so interference on all my radios is a fact of life. The 1102 was no exception, but I found that it did quite well with just the whip antenna and that minimized some of the problem. I tried it on my 80 mtr. dipole and of course there was a lot of overload, but if I ran it thru my tuner it all went away and I could hear many things my HF rigs were hearing. All in all I find it to be well built with a quality feel I didn't expect, and a lot lighter than my old Sangean ATS 803 (one pound or less compared to five). It wasn't that hard to figure out it's page system but you gotta read the manual. I look forward to taking it with me to a low RF area and seeing how it will do, hoping it makes me miss my REAL radios a little less.

MBIRD97X Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2005 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't think of a better radio for the money. It does well against the YB400, many Sonys, and is my best performer off the whip. I have several that do better, but only on long wire and a long wire seems to overload the DE1102 front end a bit. the short wire antenna does good if receiving weak signals from whip only. This is my "Go-To" radio that I listen every night to 75 meter hams up and down the East coast and beyond!! You just can't go wrong!!

DB2EH Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2005 06:25 Send this review to a friend
good buy  Time owned: months
It really is a fantastic bargain. At itīs size it has no competition - (the SONY SW100 with his drastic CW/SSB warble is not a real competitor).
Remarkable is the low noise PLL of the 1102 and the overall sensitivety.
But also this neat radio has problems at CW/SSB reception: Sporadicly itīs design causes warbling effects on stronger CW/SSB signals. Looks like a tracking effect of the LO or VCO. Better decoupling of the critical stages could shurely solve the problem.
Instead of the simple IF-transformer used as the bfo-resonator on the 2nd. IF TECSUN should better
implement an 2pole ceramic resonator, (to improve bfo-stability). After done this all this radio has all rights to become a first choice when smallest size weight and universatility is requested.
(A better LO temperature-stability through a better crystal is a further idea of mine)

N6LQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 00:17 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great performer and a fantastic bargain at $45 (plus shipping) off eBay. Filter bandwidths are well chosen; very effective. The sound quality, especially on FM, is great with a pair of good headphones or earbuds. The rechargability of the batteries via the provided AC adapter is a handy feature. As another poster said, this receiver receives as well if not better than the Grundig YB400 (have one of those too; I like it but it doesn't seem to be especially good with weak signals). I got the Degen DE1102 because I wanted an inexpensive, small (the DE1102 is very nicely sized) portable am/fm/sw receiver for travel. The DE1002 fits my requirements very well.

K2CPE Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2004 05:24 Send this review to a friend
excellent value for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Degen 1102 on ebay via the "buy it now" function....cost was $43.99 + 14.99 s/h = $58.98 total...as far as I know, its the lowest priced gen. coverage portable with ssb capability. Shipping time (from China) was only 9 days.

I also have a Grundig YB400 (an excellent SW portable) and doing a side by side comparison,using only the built in whip antenna, seems the Degen can hear anything the YB400 can....works amazing well on ssb. Its smaller size and lighter weight are an added plus.....it fits in my hip pocket.

I haven't used it long enough to compare battery life (the YB400 is notorius battery eater) but the fact that the Degen uses 3 AA (YB400 uses 6 AA) makes it a winner in battery costs. Also, it comes with (3) 1300 mAh Ni-MH batteries which can be recharged in the radio by plugging in the supplied 110vac AC adapter...and you can set the charge duration to 1, 2, 3, up to seven hours and the built in charger automatically adjusts the charge current and turns off when fully charged.

It also comes with a plug in external wire antenna, ear buds, and a "velvet" protective bag....and a "wrist strap" is already attached to the radio.

The Degen 1102 is also marketed as the Kaito 1102, but I've heard these come only with a Chinese language operating manual....the Degen I got had English and Chinese manual....be sure to buy from source which states it will be supplied with an English manual....unless you can read Chinese.

To sum up....I'm very pleased with the Degen 1102, since it fills in the general coverage recieve missing in my Elecraft K2 (coincidentally serial number 1102 !!)....I rate it a very fine "qrp" portable reciever.

Rich K2CPE

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2004 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this very compact radio through a "store" on eBay at a delivered & insured price around $57 (radio was $36.90, rest were delivery charges). Like the previous reviewer, I have been astounded by the unit's performance. My "test bed" if you will was just that, my bed where I sought to listen to 160, 75 and 40 meters hams before falling asleep. Both an FT840 and an FT817, with or without an amplified antenna, picked up too much noise from electric/electronic devices in the house. The Degen receives CW and SSB signals like it was connected to an external longwire. Frequency display appears right on, within it's 1KHz limits. BFO is stable and easy to adjust. Both the IF and AF bandwidth settings make noticeable changes, although I have found "narrow" IF and "music" AF gives the most pleasing results.

The radio comes with 3 rechargeable 1300ma/h NiMH batteries which charge up easily from within the radio. The basic wall wart for running on AC is designed for 220V. So, Degen supplies a second 220-110 piggy-back wall wart. That is a bit bulky but appears to work fine.

As has been mentioned by others, the display is large and east to read. The blue backlight is really cool. In order to use the radio on SSB, the memory 'page' must be set to '9'. Since I had read this in other reviews, I did not find it necessary to read the manual (supplied in English) for radio functions.

One can pay anywhere from $35 to $100 for this or the similar Kaito 1102 radio. There is some question as to whether the lower priced units carry a US warranty. Given the low going-in price and the likely shipping back for service, if it breaks, I'll pitch it and get a new one!

Bill / K8DXX

KI8HC Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2004 18:03 Send this review to a friend
A great radio for well under $100.00  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this pocket radio on ebay for about $65.00 - and that included shipping. I am astounded by the quality and sensitivity of this little transistor! Includes SSB and BFO for code on page 9, has over 100 memories, digital display is dead on frequency, there is absolutely no imaging, the blue background light uses very little energy and the re-chargeable batteries hold a charge for two weeks of heavy use. I can listen to nets on 40 meters and hear everything.
For the money, you can't expect even this much. The BFO is not entirely stable, but will be very satisfactory for most work. If you get the chance to buy this or the Kaito 1102 - buy it! You'll be glad you did!