Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | QRO HF2500DX Help

Reviews Summary for QRO HF2500DX
QRO HF2500DX Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4095.
Description: Please go to

You can write your own review of the QRO HF2500DX.

W9BHI Rating: 3/5 Feb 17, 2018 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great build quality, very poorly designed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp used and it works ok but after snooping around inside, I found the screen voltage to be 140 volts higher than the tube max.
The screen current meter has the wrong shunts for the scale.
The screen meter is off by 50ma. full scale and 25ma. at half scale.
The max screen current cutoff should be 80ma. max.
(two tubes)
I measured the trip current to be 115ma.
The tubes would be toast by the time the overcurrent would trip.
If you have to change tubes, you are on your own trying to figure out what the correct voltage of zener diode to use in the bias circuit to set the resting plate current.
Good luck on trying to contact QRO for a repair on this amp.
There are better amps out there for less money.
WT4P Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Power and reliability   Time owned: more than 12 months
I aquired a pristine QRO DX2500HF two years ago. What a great amp. I use it almost everyday. 30w in gives 1500w+. This may be the last amplifier I buy.
KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2016 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Hammer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
65W in gives 1500W. I think these are the original tubes from 1996.
NA1A Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2015 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All I can say about this amp is OMG. For a legal limit plus desk top, this got to be on the very top of the list (and I've had plenty of different amps, you name it, I got it).
20W in 2500W out, grid barely wiggle, plenty of headroom. Clean as a whistle SSB modulation, extremely quiet and stable of an amp.
No software to fail, no EBS complexity, no gimmics nor trick. Just a plain old straight forward design, heavy duty commercial quality components, brutal power!
My Alphas now are up for grabs. Any takers?
W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2013 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Failure after only 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my QRO HF-2500DX in April of 2003. I have used it twice a day on 1990 kHz for over 10 years. Then SURPRISE the screen grid circuit failed. Since I am now old and slow I decided to send it back to QRO.

I called Ray and of course he was so nice. Told me NOT to use Styrofoam peanuts to pack it as he hates the mess he has to clean up. Ray repaired the unit and replaced the meter lights that had not worked for years.

He even cleaned up the 10 years worth of dirt inside the amp. I had it back and on the air in about a week.

Now for the bad news.

1. When it came back it was tuned up on 20-Meters. I did not realize it would work UHF. First time the band switch had been off top band.

2. While it was gone I had to use my 800-watt Heathkit SB-1000 amplifier which is QRP on 1990. My top band buddies told me "Nice driver"

Read the quotes from the 1990 geniuses I talk to everyday on my web page. No mater how smart you are, you will be smarter.

Thanks Ray for the great service you provide. I hope I am good for another 10 years.

John W5VYY
W5AAT Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 16:09 Send this review to a friend
I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you already have one, why not get another one? A local friend of mine decided to get rid of his 2500 so I snagged it. I'm retired, so it was a simple matter to transfer this from the trunk of my car to the radio room while the XYL was dutifully at work. (Hey, ONE of us has to work, right?)
After my two young neighbors had wrestled it into place I turned it on. Yup. Just like it's brother sitting on the other side of the shack: 14w in = 1400w out. 20dB of gain. Just sitting there not even moving the screen current. Well this bad boy is only going to see duty on 40 and 75.
You know, maybe I should get another one. No. No reason to. The way these are built my grandson will probably be using them when he's my age.
Todd / WA5XX
KY4RF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:15 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
great amp,excellent preforemance and was quality built by ray.
WC3W Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
This amp has been my best purchase ever since becoming a ham!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ray has put together a truly amazing amplifier. It is a thing of beauty, nice and big. I just got back into HF after a number of years. I live in a community in Jupiter, FL that does not allow things like antennas protruding from anywhere on the property. I have two antennas--a tarheel vertical and a carolina windom hung along the perimeter of my home. With Ray's amplifer "helping" me, i am working any DX I can hear even in pile ups. What an amazing piece of hardware! I love it! I had a number of questions early on and Ray was personally there on the telephone to answer the questions. Great customer service. I considered other amps but based on the review I was reading on eham--I decided to go for the "best". As previously reported, the amp arrives in 3 pkgs and in less than an hour (presuming you don't get a hernia lifting it), you should be ready to fire it up. Don't need much power input--used it first with an ICOM MKII with 15-20 watts in, then broke down and purchased a Yeasu FT DX5000---same power in--you can easily push the amp up to eh 2kw+ if you are not careful--will melt the paint off your house! The amp runs very cool. I can't say enough good things about my beast---luvin it! 73's WC3W (when I get my shack organized will have some pix up on qrz)
73, Todd / WA5XX
W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2012 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Very well made  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the old 4CX1600b versions of this amp, and when I got it, I realized those tubes were scarce, so I picked up two extras. I haven't had to use them, just tested them and put away in case they are ever needed.

What can I say about this amp that has not already been said? It is very well made, with larger than average components, heavy iron, and designed for simple easy operation with broad tuning on most bands. So far, over nearly a decade, there have been no problems at all. The power output on some bands with this tube have >3dB available over the limit, and the amplifier simply loafs along. The fan is unnecessarily noisy, considering the little heat this beast creates as it leisurely pumps RF.

The design is easy to understand, and, I presume, easy to repair, should something go wrong. Though a little more costly than its presumed peers, I believe it has no peer, based on my experience with other expensive amplifiers made by vaunted manufacturers.

W5AAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
RAY'S DREADNOUGHT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ray has put together a true "dreadnought" of the airwaves. It is big. It is bristling with firepower, ready to take on all comers on any band. In case you're waiting for the obvious, well here it is: YES! IT IS BUILT LIKE A BATTLESHIP! In fact, with it's haze grey cabinet and behemoth construction it belongs on a ship! This is one heavy dude and the performance is not for the faint of heart. I decided to buy one a few months ago after purchasing the 2000 from a friend of mine. I use that amp on 75m now. A great amp in it's own class. I called Ray and ordered the 2500. It arrived in 3 pkgs and approx 1/2 hour and a double hernia later I was ready to rock. 14w input on 20m resulted in approx 1300w output. I let it coast there for a few days. All I will say is that it is REAL easy to start knocking on that 2kw+ level if you don't keep an eye on things. It runs very cool and I may just sell my 2000 and buy another 2500. Well done,Ray. Very well done, indeed.
73, Todd / WA5XX