Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | QRO HF2500DX Help

Reviews Summary for QRO HF2500DX
QRO HF2500DX Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4095.
Description: Please go to http://www.qrotec.com/specs25.html
More info: http://www.qrotec.com/

You can write your own review of the QRO HF2500DX.

W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2013 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Failure after only 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my QRO HF-2500DX in April of 2003. I have used it twice a day on 1990 kHz for over 10 years. Then SURPRISE the screen grid circuit failed. Since I am now old and slow I decided to send it back to QRO.

I called Ray and of course he was so nice. Told me NOT to use Styrofoam peanuts to pack it as he hates the mess he has to clean up. Ray repaired the unit and replaced the meter lights that had not worked for years.

He even cleaned up the 10 years worth of dirt inside the amp. I had it back and on the air in about a week.

Now for the bad news.

1. When it came back it was tuned up on 20-Meters. I did not realize it would work UHF. First time the band switch had been off top band.

2. While it was gone I had to use my 800-watt Heathkit SB-1000 amplifier which is QRP on 1990. My top band buddies told me "Nice driver"

Read the quotes from the 1990 geniuses I talk to everyday on my QRZ.com web page. No mater how smart you are, you will be smarter.

Thanks Ray for the great service you provide. I hope I am good for another 10 years.

John W5VYY

W5AAT Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 16:09 Send this review to a friend
I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you already have one, why not get another one? A local friend of mine decided to get rid of his 2500 so I snagged it. I'm retired, so it was a simple matter to transfer this from the trunk of my car to the radio room while the XYL was dutifully at work. (Hey, ONE of us has to work, right?)
After my two young neighbors had wrestled it into place I turned it on. Yup. Just like it's brother sitting on the other side of the shack: 14w in = 1400w out. 20dB of gain. Just sitting there not even moving the screen current. Well this bad boy is only going to see duty on 40 and 75.
You know, maybe I should get another one. No. No reason to. The way these are built my grandson will probably be using them when he's my age.
Todd / WA5XX

KY4RF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:15 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
great amp,excellent preforemance and was quality built by ray.

WC3W Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
This amp has been my best purchase ever since becoming a ham!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ray has put together a truly amazing amplifier. It is a thing of beauty, nice and big. I just got back into HF after a number of years. I live in a community in Jupiter, FL that does not allow things like antennas protruding from anywhere on the property. I have two antennas--a tarheel vertical and a carolina windom hung along the perimeter of my home. With Ray's amplifer "helping" me, i am working any DX I can hear even in pile ups. What an amazing piece of hardware! I love it! I had a number of questions early on and Ray was personally there on the telephone to answer the questions. Great customer service. I considered other amps but based on the review I was reading on eham--I decided to go for the "best". As previously reported, the amp arrives in 3 pkgs and in less than an hour (presuming you don't get a hernia lifting it), you should be ready to fire it up. Don't need much power input--used it first with an ICOM MKII with 15-20 watts in, then broke down and purchased a Yeasu FT DX5000---same power in--you can easily push the amp up to eh 2kw+ if you are not careful--will melt the paint off your house! The amp runs very cool. I can't say enough good things about my beast---luvin it! 73's WC3W (when I get my shack organized will have some pix up on qrz)
73, Todd / WA5XX

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2012 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Very well made  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the old 4CX1600b versions of this amp, and when I got it, I realized those tubes were scarce, so I picked up two extras. I haven't had to use them, just tested them and put away in case they are ever needed.

What can I say about this amp that has not already been said? It is very well made, with larger than average components, heavy iron, and designed for simple easy operation with broad tuning on most bands. So far, over nearly a decade, there have been no problems at all. The power output on some bands with this tube have >3dB available over the limit, and the amplifier simply loafs along. The fan is unnecessarily noisy, considering the little heat this beast creates as it leisurely pumps RF.

The design is easy to understand, and, I presume, easy to repair, should something go wrong. Though a little more costly than its presumed peers, I believe it has no peer, based on my experience with other expensive amplifiers made by vaunted manufacturers.

W5AAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
RAY'S DREADNOUGHT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ray has put together a true "dreadnought" of the airwaves. It is big. It is bristling with firepower, ready to take on all comers on any band. In case you're waiting for the obvious, well here it is: YES! IT IS BUILT LIKE A BATTLESHIP! In fact, with it's haze grey cabinet and behemoth construction it belongs on a ship! This is one heavy dude and the performance is not for the faint of heart. I decided to buy one a few months ago after purchasing the 2000 from a friend of mine. I use that amp on 75m now. A great amp in it's own class. I called Ray and ordered the 2500. It arrived in 3 pkgs and approx 1/2 hour and a double hernia later I was ready to rock. 14w input on 20m resulted in approx 1300w output. I let it coast there for a few days. All I will say is that it is REAL easy to start knocking on that 2kw+ level if you don't keep an eye on things. It runs very cool and I may just sell my 2000 and buy another 2500. Well done,Ray. Very well done, indeed.
73, Todd / WA5XX

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2012 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Anything else is a toy from a cereal box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

That's the conclusion I came to when I took the top cover
off to install the tubes and transformers. As the reviews
have intimated, this amplifier has a build quality that I
have yet to see matched. All of the components are very
conservatively rated and, understandably, make this thing
a hulking behemoth that weighs in close to 100 pounds.

When initially assembling the HF-2500DX, it would be best
to do so at the amplifier's final resting place, as moving
it after assembly will likely result in strained human body
parts, even in the best case scenario. The plate transformer
is nearly the size of a basketball, and is HEAVY. Fortunately,
it has a nifty nylon rope handle that makes the entire hefting
procedure more pleasurable than getting your fingers crushed
under the lower edges, never mind looking really stupid, unable
to get your hands out of the chassis. Has that ever happened
to me? Nope, nope nope. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Be gentle lining up and inserting those coyote-ugly Russian
military tubes. Before replacing the top cover, take a good
look at the build quality. Ooh. Aah. The band switch is a thing
of wondrous beauty; turning it is a bit of a chore, but you
are rewarded with a reassuring *CLANK* that fills the shack.
It's better than hearing that "frying bacon" sound associated
with cheap switches. I loved the point-to-point wiring between
the circuit boards; pretty much the only internal plug / jack
combinations I recall seeing were for the transformers. No more
flaky connections surfacing 12.835 years from now during that big
Sweepstakes pileup, often accompanied by arcs and sparks and
balls of fire, black and nasty.

I don't think this thing will even work wired into a 120 VAC
outlet. Do yourself a favor and wire up a dedicated 240 VAC
line to this little lady. As with most amplifiers, you'll need
to go to Home Cheapo and get an appropriate plug (I like the
NEMA 6-20P myself) and attach it to the end of the power cord.
Also, be sure to put a decent wattmeter in the line, as the
amp does not have one built in. No biggie.

Tuning the HF-2500DX departs from the traditional tune "for
maximum smoke" or "until you feel your eyeballs start to cook
from the inside out". The goal is to adjust the amp for
proper resonance and a nominal value for grid current, all the
while watching that output power. Make no mistake: if you let
this beast off the chain, it will do over 2000 watts, so do
be careful. Do your bretheren a favor and tune the amplifier
into a dummy load. When I say dummy load, I mean something that
can handle a full 1500 watts. If you're using one of the "paint
cans" be sure to keep an eye on it until you master the tuneup
procedure. Otherwise, you're going to be cleaning up a lot of
boiling transformer oil, or buying a lot of new dummy loads.
If something between the amplifier and the ionosphere (including
the antenna itself) is not properly rated for this level of cold,
unrelenting, merciless, raw, naked POWER, you're going to find
out in short order. Snap. Crackle. Pop. Phew. Stinky.

Bottom line: Read the manual. Heed the warnings. Plan ahead.
You spent good money for a big signal; don't go all cheesy on
the other stuff in the transmit chain.

Though this is a manual tune amplifier, those Viktor Von
Frankenstein (not "FRON-KON-STEEN") man-sized vernier pointer
knobs make returning the amplifier settings to values you have
recorded very easy, often requiring no additional "touch-up"
tuning. Just keep an eye on the grid current on those pretty
oversized meters. If it exceeds safe levels, it will trigger
a general fault, easily cleared by one button. No decoding a
"ZLX29B" microprocessor fault from a display that looks like the
Warp Control Matter-Antimatter Integrator Engineering console
from Star Trek.

All in all, I like having the peace of mind that this kind of
quality gives me. I've owned a number of amplifiers, including the
brand synonymous with the first letter of the Greek alphabet and,
as the headline said, they are toys compared to this one.

Buy it. You'll swear by it, not at it.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Godzilla of Amps!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Amp is built with quality and pride! This Amp is designed with simplicity and strait forward power and dependability in mind. The quality of this Amp is better than ANY Amp made today, in the US or outside the US. I have used and seen many Amps. I have not seen this much quality in Amps costing 3 times as much. If you can find one of these Amps, New or Used, do not pass it up! This Amp lafts at legal limit with 25 to 30 watts drive. 10 watts in gives you 600 to 700 watts out. This is the best Amp made today. You will be able to buy this Amp WHEN I DIE. It will probably bring twice the price I paid for it brand new.

K4YAB Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Tough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Extremely heavy duty,top quality parts.
The power Transformer is hugh..I,ll never destroy it.
What can I say...Ray a great product,American made and Best price around.

KG4WEL Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Spot perfect workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amplifier is the pinnacle of function and workmanship. I have never seen a more perfect production. The amp performs beyond its modest advertised specifications and loafs at legal limit with no more than 30 watts drive.

In my opinion the advantage of this amplifier is its clean signal, the over sized power supply is stiff and a classic full-wave supply, a class act. I previously was using a HK SB-220, which is a nice amp but if I pushed it to 800w or more watts it would began to produce harmonics because of the weak PS flat-topping. I have checked the signal on this amp and it is linear and clean, no more complaints from my neighbors 2kz off at nearly twice the output, so great!

Tips: If you get a HF2500 start slow, READ the tuning instructions carefully and check the chart included with the amp for a general benchmark for tuning on each band. USE THE ALC, this amp has automatic protection but if you over-drive it slightly detuned for a period of time you can feel the heat, USE THE ALC.

This amplifier requires very little drive, I keep my drive limited to about 30 watts.

Thats it, if you have a opportunity to get this QRO amp do it, you will be very happy!

73, Scott KG4WEL