Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | QRO HF2500DX Help

Reviews Summary for QRO HF2500DX
QRO HF2500DX Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4095.
Description: Please go to http://www.qrotec.com/specs25.html
More info: http://www.qrotec.com/

You can write your own review of the QRO HF2500DX.

N5TF Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding AMP!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you ever want a amp which provides brute force with minimum drive, easy to operate, easy to work on in the rare occasion that you need to, this is the amp...The tubes are cheap compared to others in this power range and readily available. I have owned many amps and this is by far the best amp I have ever owned. Bought mine second hand and it is a real pleasure to have this much head room in an amp. Get one, buy yourself a spare tube for around $100 bucks and you will be set for a very long time. The 4CX800A tubes also known as GU74B are tough and very forgiving..and did I mention cheap, you can buy them used on EBAY for around $100 including shipping from Russia. Ray provides great customer service if needed..This is a great American Made Product..Buy one today, you won't be sorry!

WQ4E Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 10:11 Send this review to a friend
great amp and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had the 2500dx amps over 10 years now.i have 2 and i love them.i have never had any problems and ray is always ready to help.one of the best and easy to talk to.a 5 plus.bob/wq4e

W8QW Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 18:10 Send this review to a friend
GreatAmplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp about 18 months ago from a guy who had tried to use it on 11 meters. The bandswitch, tube sockets and 2 of the PCB were trashed. Ray took the amp in, fixed it and upgraded it, all for a nominal price. It operates smooth and really provides a punch when pile-ups are overwhelming. I've owned quite a few amplifiers and this amp is by far the best. An excellent amp, and if you're a serious operator, well worth the dollars to own one.

NY4DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this amp for a few years now and can report only one equipment problem.

The timing IC for the warm up in rush circuit went bad. Talk to Ray and he had a new one to me in two days at no cost. Replacement was simple.

Other than that the amp has worked perfectly..max legal limit on all bands with minimal drive power...clean and solid output.

The only improvements that could be made:

1. The 2 minute warm up time is a pain especially chasing DX. I am planning to purchase the QRO HF-2000 in addition to this unit so I will not have a warm up time concern in the future...I will keep this brute ready for the Dxpeditions pile up busting.

2. The fan is very noisy...I wish there was another type muffin fan that could work and move the air volume needed. If you dont use headphones it may be annoying to some...consider using a pair of Bose noise Cancelling headphones during prolong operation.

If you use headphones to solve this problem, then you have to deal with the numbskulls that can't tune their equipment...antennas or amps except on top of the DXpedition frequency.

Please you do not have to hit the tune button on your radios if you can't hear the station...go off frequency and do this ....then come back on top of the DX station and ask "Who is the DX? then ask..."What frequency are they listening? Why all of us who have been listening to them for hours...trying to work them on a 20-50 khz spread split will gladly respond to your requests for the DX information...that you would have if you only listened instead of jumping on top of the frequency. (lol)

Nice thing about this amp if you preset the amp for each band you can get away without tuning this beast within the entire sub band (ssb or cw) portions. The amp works plain and simple.

Have a good quality watt meter to make sure you dont exceed the legal limit. If you use a tuner, make sure it could handle extra overdrive of the input power...you may arc your tuners or fry your baluns if you are not careful.

This is a solid piece of equipment not anything made by MFJ.

Other than that...you would have to pry this amp from my cold dead fingers before I part with it!

AA9DI Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp and Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the QRO-2500DX for 15 years now and it runs like the day I got it. I recently had the amp updated by QRO and their service was excellent and priced fairly. I would strongly recommend the QRO amp to anyone. Thanks QRO for a wonderful product and service.

N3XA Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As has been stated many times, the construction of this amplifier is outstanding.

For a little background, I'm a design engineer and, in addition to building many radio related projects over the years, I have also been "under the hood" for many electronic products on the market. Given that background, you can understand that I am not easily impressed. More often than not, you can see the result of cost reductions in the quality of components and the result of the general "let's hurry up and get it done" mentality.

When the cover came off of this amplifier, I must say, I was very impressed. The overall layout is very clean; the wires are routed and tied in a neat and efficient manner, components aren't "jammed" on top of one another, etc... It is very obvious that the designer took quite a bit of pride in his work and took the time and effort to design a manufacturing process that captured that. Outstanding.

Operationally, the controls are easy to use and the meters are easy to read. Tuning is smooth and the settings (tune/load) are very repeatable. The band switch is one of the most impressive I have ever turned, the feel is solid and very positive.

The amplifier works well from an electrical standpoint. Full legal power output is available on all bands with both the power supply and tubes running at about half their respective capacities. This amplifier should last a very long time.

This one is definitely a keeper.

Randy

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2011 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Serivce from QRO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second review, Again, great amp...However, I would like to talk about the service from QRO. This particular QRO AMP was 15 years OLD. I talked with Ray (CEO of QRO), and he indicated that he could ehance this amplifier, by upgrading some new technology that evolved over the last 15 years.., basically changing out circut board, and sockets for the RF Output tubes.

The service, was fast, professional, and when I got the AMP, back, I was one happy client, Ray actually proved to me, you can improve on perfection!... If you get a chance to own this AMP, buy it...

20 Watts input, 1500 Watts out..Rock Solid..

Best

Tom, NN2X

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Raw Power!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Dodge Viper of Amplifiers!

No frills, pure brute force...Tune for maximum smoke! Actually tuning this AMP is different technique then the usual amps, but at the end there is two knobs to adjust, which easily obtain 2300 Watts no matter what band..Might I add with very little input power..

And if weight is proportional to quality, well this AMP wins hands down! You know when you install the transformers, you have a real beast on your hands...

Summary, could not be happier!

Best

NN2X, Tom Wright

N4RSS Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2010 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Beast  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this 2001 vintage used with original tubes 2 weeks ago. After cleaning off the nicotine, it looks great.

Legal limit with 35 watts. 2400 watts at 55 watts in and grid current at about 75ma. Grid current can vary widely with frequency changes, so tuning carefully may be required. Run it into a 2.6 SWR with no tuner on 15m with no problem.

Very large box. Band switch very stout. Blower noise modest compared to my SB-220. Love it.

K7NCG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2010 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp a bit over 3 years now and it is one of the most fantastic amps I've ever used. Using, building, rebuilding, and modifying amps are one of my favorites and I've worked on many over the years. But none like this one. There are no funny tuning quirks, nothing to watch out for except driving it with too much power. It just works!!! From 160 meters to 10 meters it performs flawlessly. On 10 meters with 25 watts drive I get 1500 watts out and on 160 meters with 50 watts drive I get 1500 out easily. It is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. A fantastic amp!