Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | PWRcrimp from West Mountain Radio Help

Reviews Summary for PWRcrimp from West Mountain Radio
PWRcrimp from West Mountain Radio Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$49.95
Description: High performance Powerpole crimp tool at a reasonable price. Crimps all three sizes of Powerpole contacts; 15, 30 and 45 amp. Ratcheted mechanism assures proper crimps every time. Contact positioner holds contacts correctly while crimping. Far faster and better than soldering. The highest strength and the lowest resistance connections possible. Long high leverage handle makes even 45 amp 10 gauge crimps easy.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the PWRcrimp from West Mountain Radio.

K4MC Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Pure quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this tool for sevreal years now and couldn't be happier with it. I once had the problem that KD7CAO describes but I traced it down to using it with the plastic index guide removed. After properly reinstalling it, the tool operated 100%. The guide is required to properly position the conector in the tool.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the PWRcrimp a couple of years ago when I switched all my 12vdc connections to Anderson Powerpoles. This is a very solid tool which works well. It is for use only with the Powerpole connectors and nothing else, but it does what it is designed for perfectly. I got a $10 crimper at Dayton this year for my annual trips to Nevada but it doesn't work nearly as well. I will get another PWRcrimp for my trips.
ZS6SIG

KD7CAO Rating: 3/5 Sep 25, 2008 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Good initially, long term though?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must say that this tool is great for the first hundred or so crimps. After that the Anderson Power Pole contacts will start getting stuck in the upper die head. Very aggravating as the contact will usually bend over which breaks upon trying to straighten. I've removed their stop block and then have to pound the crimped connector out of the die. Is it worth purchasing a 15.00 die every 100 crimps? I don't think so! Looking at the very expensive Anderson tool now...

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2008 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Just Buy Them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with the others. If you want to crimp PowerPoles *properly*, just buy this tool. I tried soldering (DO NOT get solder on the outside!), and crimping with a couple of other tools I had that were supposed to work. I wound up having to re-form the crimps I made so they'd slide into the housings.
The FIRST crimp I made with these convinced me it was money well spent! They're very well made, work smoothly, and will go into my son's toolbox after I'm an SK!
Just buy them, and be done with it!

W3BNY Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2006 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Good to go!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dont bother spending the BUCKS for the official Anderson version! This guy does all three major sizes at a fraction of the cost. Works wonderful at a wonderful cost!

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2006 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Only one to buy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't fool with other options, this tool really WORKS! Perfect crimps everytime once you learn how to operate it. Takes about 2-3 initial attempts and then you've got the hang of it. Worth the money!

W9GB Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2005 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Right Tool for PowerPoles!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the tool today and just finished my 8th PowerPole assembly this evening.
Well worth the $50 cost -- if you are going to be crimping PowerPole connectors - its racheting action is easy on the hands and provides proper pressure for a reliable crimp.
I have previously used a Klein Journeyman crimper that is very good, BUT does not have racheting action - and uniformity of the crimps can vary with that tool - depending upon my hand strength.

KB1KIX Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Right tool for the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Forget about the GB tool or solder, etc. This works right out of the box. I went from shrinkwrap to assembled powerpoles in 10 seconds.

After purchasing, I went to the regional Red Cross HQ and did their DC gear. Filled up a few rigrunners with radios and other accessories in just a few minutes.

Very rugged tool. I wouldn't use anything else.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2004 23:12 Send this review to a friend
a huge time saver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Paid for itself in the first "connector assembly session."

KG7DX Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2004 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy !  Time owned: months
I also sprung for one of these at Dayton, as I convert every piece of gear I get over to the standard PowerPole connectors. Did my first cable today.. no more wondering if I crimped it hard enough, or if will pull out. This gadget CRIMPS ! Well worth the $50 in peace of mind alone, much less the 30-second secure crimps with PowerPole connectors... get one !

de KG7DX