Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | Anderson Powerpoles Help

Reviews Summary for Anderson Powerpoles
Anderson Powerpoles Reviews: 192 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Anderson PowerPoles are the ultimate wiring connectors you can use in your ham shack. Once you try them, you'll never use anything else for everything from battery connectivity to removable master power links.
PowerPole Features:
Flat wiping contact system
Interchangeable Genderless design
Colored, Modular housings
Polarized housings

You can write your own review of the Anderson Powerpoles.

WH7W Rating: 2/5 Jun 26, 2016 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Too bad these connectors became so popular  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but these connectors are very poorly designed and it is truly unfortunate that they gained so much traction in the ham radio community.

Try this at home with with your standard red/black PP connectors. Disconnect power first. The red/black housings will mate up perfectly half aligned----that is black to red or red to black. A properly designed connector would never allow that. If you try to connect PP's by feel or in low light, you are a set up for directly shorting out your red supply to ground, especially if the radio you are plugging into is grounded through the mount or coax. Keep a fuse handy, you will need to replace it.

I suspect they became so popular as they are very inexpensive and relatively easy to install with a little practice.

Additionally, despite the claim that the terminals are self cleaning/wipe as they mate, I have found concerning voltage drop across otherwise properly installed PP connectors.

I suspect it is going to be very difficult for AMP/TE, Molex, Hirose or one of the other big connector manufacturers to dethrone Anderson. Until such time, we will all be stuck with PP PP's.
W9OWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2016 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Products  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using Powerpoles to eliminate a number of 12V walwarts. I now have two West Mountain panels and all my equipment is connected with Powerpoles including my power supply, which feeds both panels. The 30A Powerpole blades accomodate #10 stranded wire if cut cleanly. Chopping it with dull sidecutters doesn't do the job!
With Powerpoles, you can always have the proper fuse for each circuit. And an accidental 'short' on one, doesn't shut down your entire shack. Current load has never been a problem. If the blades are crimped correctly, the contact is perfect!
From reading the bad reviews, I'd bet that all the problems were "operator error." Quality work demands attention to detail and sometimes, patience.
W2GTX Rating: 1/5 May 12, 2016 06:01 Send this review to a friend
PowerPole Version 2.0 PLEASE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
On the surface these seem like a good idea, a standard we can all agree on for interoperability, but it never quite delivered as promised. They are prone to disconnecting at the slightest tug, and make a poor connection even on their best day. Us hams are a odd bunch, many insist on commercial grade, mil spec, waterproof gear so that we can be ready with certainty in a time of need and then we decide on a universal connector for the power to run it all that Baofeng would be embarrassed of! Another odd thing is their ratings, the "30 amp" version, for example, will only accept up to 12 gauge wire, which, of course is 20 amp max - I've brought up this issue in groups before and the users say that they are "over-rated" - to this I say AMEN!!
ZS1SA Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2016 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Alternative Crimper  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ratchet crimper works great but once it has been branded by the local suppliers as being specific to Power Poles the price sky rockets. You can buy the generic dies, made by Hanlong Industrial in Taiwan (Google it) part number HT-5132CL at several tool suppliers. You can purchase just the dies to fit into a standard ratchet crimper or you can purchase the complete crimper at a fraction of the price.
Instead of having the 3 crimp sections in the jaws labeled 15, 30 and 45 Amp, they are labeled with the AWG sizes. Mine works perfectly. Hope that helps.
SV9RMU Rating: 1/5 Mar 2, 2016 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Worst high current connector ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unfortunately the power feed for my 100W solid state linear amplifier is through a Powerpole connector. I have had problems with it almost from the beginning (about 10 years ago). And yes - the connectors (plug and socket) are properly assembled and the wires are soldered to the pins (after crimping). The problem is not in the wire connections, however, but with the contact surfaces and "springs" inside the shells. Whoever designed this connector had no idea what kind of contact pressure is required even just for the 15 to 20 Amp currents I'm normally using. The contact pressure is too low to begin with, and gets worse as the time passes. This is mainly because the whole contact is made of a single piece of fairly soft copper. And then, to make things even worse, the contact surfaces are tin plated! In a "high current" connector! Not silver plated, as it is somewhere suggested - not in the ones I have, anyway.

I've been looking for a proper connector to replace the Powerpole in my amp, but so far haven't found one, which would fit in the small space.

So, my verdict is: NEVER USE A POWERPOLE CONNECTOR, if you have a choise! I would NEVER use one in any of my designs. I'm a retired electronics designer.
PY2FXE Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have read a lot of pros and cons about Powerpoles in eHam. A year ago, on a business trip to Atlanta, I visited HRO and besides other stuff I bought a 30 Amp unassembled red/black Powerpole pack with 25 sets. Let's give it a try. Best decision I ever made. Replaced all my connectors in my shack, no more messing around. The online assembly instructions are well done with lots of pictures. I solder all my connectors. All worked on the first try. Just received now an online order with more connectors, a chassis mount for 2 Powerpoles sets and a cigarette lighter plug to Powerpole adapter for the car. Keep the good work.
K6SDW Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2014 08:19 Send this review to a friend
25 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
Working in the electronics/radio/broadcasting/computer world for 30+ plus years I've seen every, yes every kind of power - signal connector failure. 30 years ago, no signal or low signal/voltage I could bet the farm it was a connector and lucky for me most of the time it was a corroded or loose connector!!

Power poles no different, if they aren't done correctly they will personal favorite is to solder them to the pins. I've never ever trusted crimp-on connectors, even the tiny molex pin types I would flow solder across them!

I hate crimp-on connectors of any kind. Yes, I know in aviation that's all they do is crimp-on, but not at this QTH!

Just me 2 cents..
AD5X Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 05:34 Send this review to a friend
All PPs here!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe I'm lucky. I've completely converted to Powerpoles, and I know I've crimped over 100 pairs so far - 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors (I use the West Mountain Radio crimper). The connector-to-connector connections have always been good, and the connectors don't pull apart unless I want them to. Just my personal experience.
W2HP Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2014 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Anderson Power Poles  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Anderson power pole pliers. I also have 4 other jaws for the pliers. Coax connectors, molex connectors and etc.

I noticed my Icom 7600 at full output on 40 m CW was 81 watts. That's Bird 43 wattmeter watts. Why so low? I took my very old Simpson 260 out and checked voltage drops in the supply line. OH BOY! My Astron SS-30M has amp and voltmeters. No variation from 20 amp draw to nothing. Found key down at IC-7600 voltage was about 11 volts. I traced thru the fuses and Anderson Power Poles. YEPPER! Voltage drop thru Power Poles. Voltage drop at Icom fuse too. I exercised the Anderson and the fuse on Icom and voltage came way up to about 13.4 VDC at radio and about 13.8 at supply. Now 7600 puts out about 109 watts out.

It seems these highly touted Power Poles have an inherent flaw. Surface corrosion. Also thru time the connection get resistive thru heat and it just gets worse over time. My old binding post power distribution box never exhibited any voltage drop. The Anderson Power Poles are touted as being a super way to get connectivity for power in the shack. Well, I just threw some water on this fact! Possibly a fluke? Flounder? or a real issue?

Pete W2HP
WALTERB Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2013 07:17 Send this review to a friend
I only solder them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know, I know you can buy the crimping tool, which I have.. But I have had the best luck just taking the time to solder them. you don't destroy the shape of the pin when you do this, and they work every time.