Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | Anderson Powerpoles Help

Reviews Summary for Anderson Powerpoles
Anderson Powerpoles Reviews: 186 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Anderson PowerPoles are the ultimate wiring connectors you can use in your ham shack. Once you try them, you'll never use anything else for everything from battery connectivity to removable master power links.
PowerPole Features:
Flat wiping contact system
Interchangeable Genderless design
Colored, Modular housings
Polarized housings
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the Anderson Powerpoles.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2014 08:19 Send this review to a friend
25 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
Working in the electronics/radio/broadcasting/computer world for 30+ plus years I've seen every, yes every kind of power - signal connector failure. 30 years ago, no signal or low signal/voltage I could bet the farm it was a connector and lucky for me most of the time it was a corroded or loose connector!!

Power poles no different, if they aren't done correctly they will fail.....my personal favorite is to solder them to the pins. I've never ever trusted crimp-on connectors, even the tiny molex pin types I would flow solder across them!

I hate crimp-on connectors of any kind. Yes, I know in aviation that's all they do is crimp-on, but not at this QTH!

Just me 2 cents..

AD5X Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 05:34 Send this review to a friend
All PPs here!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe I'm lucky. I've completely converted to Powerpoles, and I know I've crimped over 100 pairs so far - 15, 30, and 45 amp connectors (I use the West Mountain Radio crimper). The connector-to-connector connections have always been good, and the connectors don't pull apart unless I want them to. Just my personal experience.

W2HP Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2014 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Anderson Power Poles  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Anderson power pole pliers. I also have 4 other jaws for the pliers. Coax connectors, molex connectors and etc.

I noticed my Icom 7600 at full output on 40 m CW was 81 watts. That's Bird 43 wattmeter watts. Why so low? I took my very old Simpson 260 out and checked voltage drops in the supply line. OH BOY! My Astron SS-30M has amp and voltmeters. No variation from 20 amp draw to nothing. Found key down at IC-7600 voltage was about 11 volts. I traced thru the fuses and Anderson Power Poles. YEPPER! Voltage drop thru Power Poles. Voltage drop at Icom fuse too. I exercised the Anderson and the fuse on Icom and voltage came way up to about 13.4 VDC at radio and about 13.8 at supply. Now 7600 puts out about 109 watts out.

It seems these highly touted Power Poles have an inherent flaw. Surface corrosion. Also thru time the connection get resistive thru heat and it just gets worse over time. My old binding post power distribution box never exhibited any voltage drop. The Anderson Power Poles are touted as being a super way to get connectivity for power in the shack. Well, I just threw some water on this fact! Possibly a fluke? Flounder? or a real issue?

Pete W2HP

WALTERB Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2013 07:17 Send this review to a friend
I only solder them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know, I know you can buy the crimping tool, which I have.. But I have had the best luck just taking the time to solder them. you don't destroy the shape of the pin when you do this, and they work every time.

WB3BD Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2013 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Anderson PP's work as described but are a bit flimsy. o.k. for a consumer-grade DC connector, although I haven't "field-tested" them yet (I'm currenly running all my shack gear into a PowerGate/Rigrunner combo). Crimps hold well, but ONLY IF properly applied. I use the Tri-crimp tool designed for them which took a little practice to properly use. I also find that the crimped terminals may sometimes be difficult to "snap" into the plastic housings. Overall, a nice way to quickly standardize DC power management in the shack ... despite being a little pricey.

N0DSQ Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2013 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great idea, However, I could never get the male or female couplers to stay together without one or the other sliding apart. there seems to be no real lock/bite between the two. I'm missing the rage on this one.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2012 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Very best power connectors!  Time owned: more than 12 months
40 years in ham radio and I have never found a better power connector. I've changed all the shack power connectors to PowerPole leads and everything is quickly and easily changed when a new rig comes into the shack, or when I move one around. All the power for station accessories like SWR meters, etc are also done with PowerPoles. Get one of the new cheaper power blocks and avoid the high prices from the old vendors. Google it and find best prices. Cheers... Bob KK8ZZ

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2012 13:40 Send this review to a friend
they work well and take power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd be going for a 4.5 so it's 4 or 5.

I use them and have used them for at least 10
years. They carry rated power well without
melting as I've had Molex do that in the past.
The connection is solid. I use them on all my
gear.

One ding is locking source to destination
connector is not secure. I have a trick I use
that works well. Instead of the pin to insure
the two are joined I use a 4-40 screw with a
post so that I have a point to tie from one to
the other side.

I'm not a appliance op, I build and run gear at
QRP and QRO so this connector is a good match.

Allison

AD5TD Rating: 2/5 Oct 29, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Solution looking for a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the VERY large sizes (400amps and up), they work fine. However I must echo KE5JPP's assessment, they are junk. I won't tarnish the reputation of Tinker Toys by calling them that.

Any connector that MUST BE PINNED to keep it from falling apart from vibration, has no business in a mobile environment.

KE5JPP Rating: 0/5 Oct 29, 2012 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Awful Tinker Toys  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Anderson Powerpoles should never have gotten this much popularity in the Ham community. I attribute it to the appliance operator mentality that pervades Ham radio today. No one that wants a reliable and durable connection should consider these tinker-toy connectors!