Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | Anderson Powerpoles Help

Reviews Summary for Anderson Powerpoles
Anderson Powerpoles Reviews: 192 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Anderson PowerPoles are the ultimate wiring connectors you can use in your ham shack. Once you try them, you'll never use anything else for everything from battery connectivity to removable master power links.
PowerPole Features:
Flat wiping contact system
Interchangeable Genderless design
Colored, Modular housings
Polarized housings
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the Anderson Powerpoles.

WB3BD Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2013 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Anderson PP's work as described but are a bit flimsy. o.k. for a consumer-grade DC connector, although I haven't "field-tested" them yet (I'm currenly running all my shack gear into a PowerGate/Rigrunner combo). Crimps hold well, but ONLY IF properly applied. I use the Tri-crimp tool designed for them which took a little practice to properly use. I also find that the crimped terminals may sometimes be difficult to "snap" into the plastic housings. Overall, a nice way to quickly standardize DC power management in the shack ... despite being a little pricey.

N0DSQ Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2013 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great idea, However, I could never get the male or female couplers to stay together without one or the other sliding apart. there seems to be no real lock/bite between the two. I'm missing the rage on this one.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2012 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Very best power connectors!  Time owned: more than 12 months
40 years in ham radio and I have never found a better power connector. I've changed all the shack power connectors to PowerPole leads and everything is quickly and easily changed when a new rig comes into the shack, or when I move one around. All the power for station accessories like SWR meters, etc are also done with PowerPoles. Get one of the new cheaper power blocks and avoid the high prices from the old vendors. Google it and find best prices. Cheers... Bob KK8ZZ

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2012 13:40 Send this review to a friend
they work well and take power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd be going for a 4.5 so it's 4 or 5.

I use them and have used them for at least 10
years. They carry rated power well without
melting as I've had Molex do that in the past.
The connection is solid. I use them on all my
gear.

One ding is locking source to destination
connector is not secure. I have a trick I use
that works well. Instead of the pin to insure
the two are joined I use a 4-40 screw with a
post so that I have a point to tie from one to
the other side.

I'm not a appliance op, I build and run gear at
QRP and QRO so this connector is a good match.

Allison

AD5TD Rating: 2/5 Oct 29, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Solution looking for a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the VERY large sizes (400amps and up), they work fine. However I must echo KE5JPP's assessment, they are junk. I won't tarnish the reputation of Tinker Toys by calling them that.

Any connector that MUST BE PINNED to keep it from falling apart from vibration, has no business in a mobile environment.

KE5JPP Rating: 0/5 Oct 29, 2012 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Awful Tinker Toys  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Anderson Powerpoles should never have gotten this much popularity in the Ham community. I attribute it to the appliance operator mentality that pervades Ham radio today. No one that wants a reliable and durable connection should consider these tinker-toy connectors!

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 22:57 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
nothing but the best way to hook up your gear

WT3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2012 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Used for nearly a decade now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was first licensed in 2004 when these connectors were new and somewhat controversial. I put these connectors on my first 2M radio and have been using them ever since.

What's great about PowerPoles:
1. They are genderless. Need an extension cord? No problem because it will fit and you won't have to get adapters to make it work.
2. It is impossible to reverse polarity IF you wire all of your connectors the same way. These connectors only fit one-way. If you try to insert them reversed they won't fit.
3. They are standard. No problem if I want to take my FT-857 out of my car and use it in the shack - just plug it in and go. Want to use my FT-817 in the car or portable? No problem, just plug it in and go. Want to charge my HT from the car or shack? You get the idea.
4. They don't fall apart or pull apart if they are assembled correctly. I have my West Mountain Radio RigRunners mounted under my ham desk (I wanted to keep the top of the desk clutter free). These connectors are installed upside down and have not pulled apart or come apart. Granted, it you yank the power cable it will come out, but with the force of gravity alone they will maintain their connection.
5. In the grand scheme of things they are relatively cheap. Banana plugs range from $3.49 to $6.49 per set of two at Radio Shack. You can get 10 sets of PowerPoles for $9.99 at PowerWerx.

What's not so great about PowerPoles:
1. You need to keep a lot on hand because you'll use them for everything. I try to pick up a pack at each hamfest so I never run out.

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2012 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Convenient, Easy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a bag of 100 30-Amp connector sets more than six years ago. Have standardized nearly all rigs, accessories and connectors with these.

While these aren't mil-spec, they are (were) inexpensive, easy to put together, and fool-proof.

I have a few connected to 12V auto cigarette/power plugs, several epoxied back-to-back to 9V-type connectors (convenient to quickly attach various AA/AAA 4- or 8-cell battery carriers), a few on power leads, a few on M/F spade pairs (for screw terminals or gel cells), and a few built-into a custom-built fused multi-connector box.

i used one set for mobile ops for nearly eight years - very handy to pull a rig out of the vehicle, yet quickly re-connect

i always solder and never crimp; solder flows quickly on the lugs and provides a good connection

the only downside i have seen are the exorbitant prices for small quantities charged by some on-line scalpers

do yourself a favor and buy a bag - i'd recommend the 30-Amp size for general use; my 100-set bag is going to last me a lifetime

AB4D Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
4 years of use, no issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to my last review in 2009..."I've been using he power poles for over a year, I have not had any issue with them, and they hold rock solid. However, I don't crimp the connectors, I solder them on. I just insert a piece of solder into the connector with the wire, heat and it is ready to go."

I am still using power poles in the shack and in the mobile, both on West Mountain power strips. I like the interchangeability of the PP system, and have not experienced any of the issues identified by some using the Anderson PP.

I've used Molex, Butt Connectors, and Crimp on terminals in the past, they are no better than the PP, some are worse. It seems all styles of connectors have disadvantages, none are perfect.

I agree with some, that you really need to pay attention when wiring and assembling the connectors, but beyond that, I've had no operational issues. Nevertheless, until someone comes up with something better, I'll stick with the power poles.