Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Standard C 5718 Help

Reviews Summary for Standard C 5718
Standard C 5718 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2M/440 Fm Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Standard C 5718.

AC6IN Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2006 02:18 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazing, I just picked one of these up a few months ago. It is crazy how much better the receive and transmit audio is over all my other radios. It is much better then my Kenwood 741,732,733 and other Icom radio's.

Standard please take the rights back from Yaesu and start making kick ass radios again. To bad Standard went away, the quality of these radios just smokes the current radios offered from the big 3.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2005 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding receiver performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using mobile ham radios in my cars for over 30 years. They included Regency 12 channel rigs, Motorola mobile rigs and a Kenwood TM-741 tribander, but my Standard C5718 is by far the best of them all. First, due to the design of the rig, it is one of the easiest rigs to install in a car that has ever been designed. Put the radio box wherever convenient and you are ready to go with all the controls on the hand mike. If you prefer a separate speaker, just put it in any convenient location and turn off the speaker in the hand mike. Second, the receiver performance and transmit audio are absolutely superb. Some years ago there was an unfortunate airplane crash in northwest Indiana and I live just north of Chicago. I wanted to listen in on the emergency communications occuring on the local 146.775 repeater, but Chicago has a powerful wide area repeater on 146.76. Whenever it would come up, the Indiana repeater would be completely blanked out on my Kenwood base rig. At the time I had my C5718 temporarily out of my car, so I decided to give it a try. I found that I could easily hear the Indiana repeater even when the Chicago system was transmitting. Excellent selectivity! I have also received many unsolicited favorable comments on my transmit audio as well. Intermod has been negligible even in Chicago's well known intermod locations. Unfortunately, they have been out of production for several years, but if you find one you will have one of the best performing VHF/UHF mobiles ever made.

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2005 20:26 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST PERFORMER EVER MADE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the most expensive dual bander on the market and worth every penny.
Right out of the box my radio ran almost 60 watts on 2 meters and nearly 50 watts on 440.
It had fantastic sensitivity and more important was virtually imune from interference.
Factory service was fantastic.
Mine developed a loose connection in the 440 vco circuit and the factory simply sent me a new one.

K9IKE Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2004 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Standard Radio was known for producing high end ham gear and this rig is no exception. Although it
didn't catch on real well when introduced the C5718 was one of several radios with all of its'
controls and display in the handmic. With today's
vehicles so unfriendly to add-on equipment like
ham radio this rig is ideal. It's incredibly
adaptable and with the optional extention mic cable you can operate in any enviroment.
Once installed this rig is a solid performer.
Output on 2m is 50w and with 40w on uhf it's adaquate for most applications. The rig is fan cooled, thermostatically controled, and very quiet.
Now, I really like the receiver in this radio,
It's very quiet in my mobile. This rig ( unlike several other radios )is immune to ignition noise
from my car's engine and is bullet proof when it comes down to inter-mod.
My only complaint is programing. This radio is not user friendly and does require alot of hands on before you feel comfortable with it.