Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ADI HT-204 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI HT-204
ADI HT-204 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $Used 100-200
Description: VHF UHF Tranciever handie talkie.
Same as the ADI AT-600 only different cosmetics.
Crossband repeater and dual receive. Transmit and recieve at the same time.
More info: http://www.icanworkthisthing.com

You can write your own review of the ADI HT-204.

N1AW Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2012 10:28 Send this review to a friend
OK for a while, problems later.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this HT around 1998 0r '99. It was at a good price at a hamfest. I discovered later that it was a model that was on sale for only a short while before being discontinued. I believe it was originally marketed by Radio Shack, but they dropped it because it could receive, or could easily be modified to receive, forbidden cell phone frequencies. I believe another ADI model was released soon after that has very similar specs but more restricted frequency coverage.
I had good results with it, I used it as a mobile with a mag-mount, and hand-held with the standard rubber duck as well as with a Prime AL-800 telescoping gain antenna.
An attraction was that it was supposed to be able to function as a crossband repeater. I wanted to be able to roam around my house with a low power 440 handheld and the ADI connected to a gain antenna on the roof on 2 meters. This did not work very well, the ADI tended to heat up and lock up.
After I had it a few years the keypad started to become flaky. Keys that I used frequently like the key that switches bands became hard to use reliably and eventually became useless. I was unable to open it up far enough to try to repair the keypad and I could find nobody, including the company I bought it from, who could repair it or recommend anyone to repair it.
I had no problems with battery life as reported in another review, but after many years the original NiCd battery finally failed. A company that offers replacement batteries for many radios had one that fit, but the charger polarity was wrong - I had to splice an extra coaxial power connector with center negative onto the cord from the power supply.
Would I recommend this radio to anyone? Only if one was found in excellent condition. A battery pack for use with AA alkaline cells was part of the original package and I would always want to have one of these on hand for any handheld.
Overall, my experience with the HT-204 has made me very suspicious of bargains and of companies I had never heard of before. I eventually replaced it with a Yaesu, expecting that if and when I have trouble with that one there will still be someone around who will be able to help me.

K5WMZ Rating: 3/5 Dec 27, 2007 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Good radio when it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it for at least 5 years. Easy to open up to out of band frequencies with programing codes. Weak radio for durability, best to keep it indoors. The main problem I have, is this radio eats batteries. There is a problem with a short in the power supply section of the radio. I bought 3 new batteries and none would last 15-30min on a full charge without transmitting.Even with the radio off the batteries will drain down as long as they are connected to the radio. The radio works great as long as you can keep it powered up. KC5WMZ