Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Midland WR-300 S.A.M.E. Weather/All Hazard Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Midland WR-300 S.A.M.E. Weather/All Hazard Radio
Midland WR-300  S.A.M.E. Weather/All Hazard Radio Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: All Weather/Hazards alert radio
- Digital PLL tuning
- S.A.M.E. localized reception
- 30 programmable county codes
- Date, Time & Alarm clock.
- Built in AM/FM Digital Radio
- Auto Switch from AM/FM to All Hazard Alerts
More info: http://www.midlandradio.com/details.asp?pid=298&cat=Weather/All%20Hazard%20Radio

You can write your own review of the Midland WR-300 S.A.M.E. Weather/All Hazard Radio.

N8WDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2007 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I have owned this radio now for approximately 4 months. In that time it has consistently alerted me to dangerous weather conditions that were entering my county. I am dismayed at the fact that some do not see the forrest for the trees. This radio is excellent in what it is DESIGNED to do. Alert to threatening weather. This is not a stereo; it is not for the most part a "bose" clock radio, this is a weather alert radio. And it does it's job nicely.The am/fm feature is an added feature. A bonus if you will. In today's modern technology era, people expect our modern "gadgets" to be jacks of all trades. To DO IT ALL. It is like having a swiss army knife with a can opener, chain saw, television and toilet roll. The primary purpose is one and one only. A WEATHER ALERT RADIO. I give it a 10/10.

KD5OM Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 08:33 Send this review to a friend
FB WX ALERT RADIO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me Ditto everything KA2EEV said and he said it well.

I bought this for my dad who lives in Florida 15 miles from where the Lady Lake tornado hit February 2007 at 3am in the morning killing over 20 people. To think that my Pop dodged such a bullet terrified me. I bought it, brought it home, looked up all the freqs and SAME codes on the Web and programmed it for him. Programming was very easy to do as compared to the other "Brand X" weather radio I have. The receiver seemed fairly sensitive meaning it was able to hear NOAA stations several counties away including our local station some 30 miles away. And Hey! I like the loud annoying beeps on the buttons because when hard of hearing old farts like my Dad are using the radio, loud annoying beeps is a good thing. Now if another tornado comes at 3 in the morning, he'll have enough time to kiss his sorry rear-end goodbye. Oh I do love my Dad! :)

KA2EEV Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 18:53 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT WX RADIO!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After reading some of the critical comments on this unit in the above reviews, I began shaking my head and just had to put my 2˘ in.
I sometimes think that todays highly sophisticated technology often results in too many of us being spoiled and we sometimes have unrealistic expectations. We are conditioned by todays fast paced advancements that can tend to make us overly pampered to the point that a minor inconvenience will often strike some people as being a major flaw.
The reviews here so far on the Midland WR-300 seem to lose sight of the main intended purpose of this unit, that being, it is a weather alert radio that is specifically designed to make you aware of potentially dangerous weather conditions for your area. It does a superb job of doing exactly that!
To quote from the above reviews, however...the unit emits a loud annoying beep whenever any button is pushed, the alarm clock does not function anything like any other alarm clock, the AM / FM portion lacks selectivity...and, I am really scratching my head trying to figure the point of the reviewer just before me that mostly whines about so many negative aspects which have very little or nothing to do with the main purpose of this unit. C'mon guys! THIS IS A WEATHER RADIO!
The Midland WR-300 is really great, in that, you can selectively program the alert mode to activate just for your county alone...or, you can program it to include other neighboring counties along with yours if you so desire. In order to program any particular county, you simply go into the menu and then follow the sequence of entering the code number for that county. The code numbers for every county in each state are easily available on the internet at www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm. Easy as 1 - 2 - 3 if you can follow simple instructions.
The unit features a set of 3 individually colored LED's each of which will light up accordingly whenever an alert is issued by NOAA for Advisory, Watch, or Warning. Along with the LED's, the unit will also alert you with an audible siren or voice, both of which can be programmed to remain silent at all times and allow for LCD messages only. A scrolling 3 line LCD message is displayed simultanteously with each alert that provides a very wide variety of impending weather conditions, and it even goes beyond to include amber alerts, terrorist threats, and countless other environmental hazards. There are connectors on the back of the unit that will permit hooking up optional devices, such as external antenna and remote alert indicators. Midland also included the bonus feature of a built in AM / FM radio with memory presets as well as a clock with programmable timer. Again, however, these are just extra little perks that were integrated as being "basic frills".
Now, here are a just few things that you should NOT expect from this unit which the previous reviews never mention. It will not alert you when your blood alcohol level has surpassed the legal limit because you've consumed an excessive amount of beer and shots and you've become completely inebriated and incoherent...it does not have built in sensors that warn you of obnoxious odors being emitted from your cats litter box...and, it does not have an overhead night projection which features a display of scantily clad dancing girls on your ceiling.
Now, here is exactly what you CAN expect from this unit. As a weather alert radio, you can count on the Midland WR-300 to keep you and your family informed, continuously 24 / 7, of any threat for impending severe weather, and it will also keep you aware of numerous other environmental threats. Plain and simple. For all of this...it is an excellent performer at a very fair market price. You can't ask for more than that!

K5OQ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2006 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Great in Rural Area  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The WR-300 was easy to program, picks up two NOAA stations here in N. TX. rural area. One station is about 60 miles away and comes in fine with just the telescoping whip antenna. The other is 25 miles away, and is also solid into the receiver. I have several AM/FM radios, including one with a crank-charger, so I have not fiddled with the WR-300 AM/FM radio.

I also bought the Radio Shack 12-262 SAME radio and commented on both the Midland and the RS on my Web page, in a long article mostly aimed at non-hams. (www.home.earthlink.net/~rickhgtx/hamradio.html)

CLEBOT Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2006 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Jack of all trades, master of none  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked this up after some severe weather moved through southeast Texas this week.
It looks better than my existing clock radio, and does so much more!
I sleep very well knowing that I have some advance warning if severe weather starts heading my way while asleep.
There are a couple of things that are not so great, though.
First is the annoying (loud) beep whenever any button is pushed.
Second is that there is no “sleep” function where you can listen to music as you fall asleep.
Third is that the entire display is backlit or off. An LED time display that is visible from across the room might have been better here.
Those are minor gripes, though. This is an all hazards radio that has the potential to save my life by giving me advance notice of a storm/other disaster while I am asleep. It is like a Swiss Army knife…does many things, but doesn’t do all of them as well as something designed for one specific purpose. I wanted an ‘all-in-one’ unit, eliminating the need of a clock AND weather radio. I am not sorry I bought this, though. It does what it is supposed to, and is priced fair. The manual is available for download on the internet. I would recommend that you read the manual first and then decide if it has the features you need and want.
For what it’s worth, sensitivity is great on AM/FM and WX band. I don’t even have the telescopic antenna erected and I get great reception. I live about 45-50 miles from the AM/FM/WX transmitter stations and have had great results.

K6MTT Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2005 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Great alert radio - forget the AM/FM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally picked up one of these receivers for the sole purpose of weather alerting. If you read the manual before you buy it, you'll get the idea why the clock radio is not a feature you care about. To me, few things that promise to do a lot of functions do them all well. Fortunately, this one does the weather alerting features well. The ability to block non-interesting alerts is great - I live in the mountains, but the NOAA/NWS stations around me also cover the nearby valley and the ability to block the fog advisories is great.

The addition of the alert customization is a big reason that many many more people should have these in their homes, as the nuisance factor is greatly reduced and people will be more likely to leave them on - alerting them to a real emergency condition someday. I would think they are invaluable in tornado and hurricane country.

The weather broadcast audio is decent quality, which is lacking in some weather radios.

A small PRO is the ability to turn the display backlight on all the time - and it's a cool blue.

A small CON is the annoyingly loud beep for every keypress - putting your hand over the speaker when programming is a way to save your sanity.

AB0RE Rating: 3/5 Jul 17, 2005 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Agree with previous two reviews  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned the WR-300 for some time and the previous two reviews hit the mark perfectly.

The Weather Alert feature of this unit works great. I like the fact the unit can be custom programmed so it only alerts for desired counties and desired events (i.e. Tornado, T-storm, Flood, etc.)

I wish that Midland would've stopped the design stage there and offered us the WR-300 at half it's current market price. Simply put, every other feature on this unit sucks.

The alarm clock does not program anything like any other alarm clock on the market, so just forget about using it.

The AM/FM radio portion of this unit completely lacks selectivity. Stations 1+ MHz away will bleed into the station you're trying to listen to. The receiver is not at all sensitive on the AM/FM bands, either. It appears the AM/FM radio was an afterthought.

The crappy AM/FM receiver was especially disappointing as this radio would've otherwise been the perfect thing to put in the storm shelter - you could listen to NOAA for conditions and an AM/FM radio station for other updates and to pass the time.

Dan / ab0re

KG4NCK Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2005 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Good WX Alert, not so good anything else  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my WR-300 for over a year now and is ,for the most part, good with it's WX Alert abilities. The receiver does not pick up signal that well in rural areas, meaning a better outdoor antenna should be used, but that's why it has a jack for an external antenna. I think this is due to a lack of reciever sensitivity, as my Icom T90A ht will pull in signals from the NOAA stations much better.

When left turned on to silently monitor for the alert tones, the speaker constantly emits static just loud enough to be annoying in an otherwise quiet room, making bedside use next to impossible.

However, I bought the reciever for to be used as a Weather Alert radio for the whole house, not for use as a clock/radio. It goes off with a loud alarm that can be heard throughout the house during severe weather, and it's speaker is loud enough so that I can hear the voice announcement on the other side of the house without having to stop whatever I am doing at the time.

Therefore I give it a 4/5 for the weather alert feature, which is the primary purpose of this radio. If you want a nice bedside clock-radio however, look someplace else, because it gets a 1/5 in that area.

KB2PSM Rating: 2/5 Oct 26, 2004 12:00 Send this review to a friend
S.A.M.E. is nice, but other features fall short.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I decided to replace my older stand alone weather radio and my clock/radio with the WR-300. It saved on bedside space and I was happy to get the S.A.M.E. features. This unit looks nice and is well-integrated, but falls short on all of its expected tasks.

I listen mainly to AM broadcast stations and living close to NYC never had a problem with any of my radios. In order for me to hear the 50KW WABC 770 (for one of a few examples) I must use my loop antenna next to the weather radio. No other radio in my house, from $10 Walkman-type on up needs this kind of help. If I didn't employ the loop antenna, I would be forced to re-introduce my clock radio to the night table. If I change to a different station, I often need to reposition the Midland radio and/or the loop. Based on my experiences, the BCB receiver is near-dead. Honestly, I listen to very little FM radio in the bedroom to give feedback.

The unit is and can be used as an alarm clock which will wake you to radio or a buzzer. Unfortunately, the display is back-lit only if you hit a button, so you must be interactive in order to tell the time in the dark. My eyes are good, but with the clock taking up such a small portion of the display, I would expect that someone who wears glasses or contacts would not be able to tell the time. Unfortunately, the clock does not keep accurate time, often gaining 3-4 minutes a month. In order to deal with the lack of visibility at night and the inaccuracy, I am using a small WWV-set clock that shines the time above my head.

Finally, although the design is pleasant to look at, it is not finger friendly when the lights are out- if you want to change a saved station. It is too easy to hit the memory set/set-up button instead of one of the directional buttons just above it. I find that when it is dark, you need to "read the face" of the radio by brushing the buttons to figure out the one you want. Given their closeness, success is seldom guaranteed.

I like the weather radio functions of this radio. It is a nice-looking design. It is much better suited to be used at work on your desk, and not at your bedside. Its a shame that I need to rely on a loop antenna and another illuminated (and accurate) clock to give me what I paid for in the nice package that the WR-300 was supposed to be. My radio might be an anomoly, but it is expensive for what I got (and didn't get).

I rated it a "2" since it does "need help", especially as a clock-radio.

Rob