Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Belcom Liner 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Belcom Liner 2
Belcom Liner 2 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Early to mid '70s VXO controlled 2m SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/belcom/liner2.htm

You can write your own review of the Belcom Liner 2.

G3UEQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2015 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Lot of Fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new along with a J-Beam 2m Halo, fitted in my Mini and worked all Europe with it. Could work reliably on the motorways from northern England down to friend in Worthing, West Sussex.
Eventually sold it for FT-101 and homemade solid state transverter, ran the car battery down quicker than the Liner, but cleaner!!

G0UOO Rating: 2/5 May 21, 2013 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Not wonderful  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A local ham had one of these. The thing put me off the air whenever he was operating. Eventually I bought the rig from him just to stop him using it - Yes, honestly! I found that if you kept the drive down it was usable without too many complaints. I ended up using it mobile and it was ok-ish.

G4DQB Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2010 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Fine if you don't turbo it .  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 74, it was my first rig and I had a great time with it.I fitted a PA3 preamp and used the squelch control as an RF gain (who needs squelch on ssb ? ) I had no problems with sproggies, as previously stated if you left the drive alone and stuck to 10 watts life was good.
Problems arose when 4CX250B's were added then spectral quality became an issue !! It was an enjoyable piece of gear and I only sold it after ssb got killed off by the reinvention of fm.
I'd buy another for nostalgic reasons if I could find one that's not been hacked around.

GM1FLQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2009 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Fine if unmolested by hamfisted hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has a preamp fitted and it hears better than my FT290 Mk1. It also sounds better tham my FT290 on both transmit and receive. Liner 2s only give out spurious emissions if tampered with by the hamfisted ham with his big screwdriver and 100w hot poker soldering iron - many owners tried tweaking the tx power up and in doing so they got the well known spu problems. Mine has been left alone and consequently has no spurious problems. There was nothing wrong with these rigs until the "screw everything up full" merchants got their hands on one and I supect that if you have one that has problems it will have been messed up by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

G4IPZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 22, 2008 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Probably the worse 2M SSB rig ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Without doubt this was one of the biggest pieces of junk ever foisted on the amateur radio community.
Basically this rubbish was a low quality 28Mhz transceiver with a built in 2M transverter.
It radiated anywhere and everywhere and both the in band and out of band spurious emissions meant that it should never have been allowed to be sold.
Even adding one of the many modifications to reduce spurii never really made this thing worth using as anything other than a door stop.
I bought mine at a surplus sale many years ago and tried countless times to make the thing perform even vaguely acceptably.
In the end the thing went into the rubbish when I moved home - and good riddance!

G4FSU Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2005 08:08 Send this review to a friend
It Wasn't Called the Liner Spew for Nothing!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First affordable 2M SSB rig for many in the 70s. Spurii could be kept down on transmit by backing off the output 3dB or so. On RX, you're somewhat at the mercy of local strong signals, but the sensitivity was actually quite good as long as you didn't need to use a frequency occupied by an internal sprog.

I worked far down into Southern Europe in the mid-70s with a basic Liner 2 and a 5 el. beam from southern England. Before that, I thought the local repeater was the only use for 2m.

It needed help, but it worked & was cheap!

M0PME Rating: 1/5 Aug 29, 2005 15:34 Send this review to a friend
worked all tv sets  Time owned: more than 12 months
the signals in and out of band are realy bad with these rigs

G3XBM Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2004 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Good for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first radio on 2m SSB in the early 1970s. Crystal-mixing "synthesiser" produced spurii ever 40kHz or so and the clunky rotary control always felt it was about to fall apart! Still, it worked plenty of DX on 2m with modest antennas and transformed 2m within a couple of years in Europe.