Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Garmin GPS III Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Garmin GPS III Plus
Garmin GPS III Plus Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $300
Description: Garmin's GPS III Plus offers cartographic capabilities formerly found only in high-end automotive navigation and marine chartplotting units. The basemap in the GPS III Plus will get you where you're going. More than 10,000 new towns have been added to the permanent basemap, as well as airport locations, secondary roads in metro areas and even detailed exit information for the federal interstate highway system, including information about available lodging, food and service stations.
More info: http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/index.jsp

You can write your own review of the Garmin GPS III Plus.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2008 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great for GRID Locator  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for a few years now but recently it says the memory battery is low. After a few weeks it now says it has lost data. I can still use it but wondering if I can replace the battery myself. Have worked many stations on microwave and able to give my exact GRID section for them to locate me.

N8IK Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2006 11:27 Send this review to a friend
2m birdie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used one in the car on APRS for 5 years. Only problem is a nasty birdie at 147.315MHz which just happens to be the output of my club's repeater. Friends can hear my GPS a car length away! I've heard that other Garmin's of this era have that "feature". Fortunately we have a crosslinked 70cm repeater so I listen there.

KS4XN Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2004 22:52 Send this review to a friend
took a beatin and still works well  Time owned: months
I've had mine for a few years and it's held up pretty well, with almost exclusively mobile use for aprs. B&W, doesn't talk, etc but what it does it does well, especially since the govt loosened up on the gps sat restriction.

One hiccup, I bought a external active gps ant and when I removed the stock ant it works well with the ext ant. But when I put the stock ant back in it's loose and so either I did something in error or...?

Screen is small for my middle aged eyes but i found the visual sweet spot so I can see it pretty clearly. Besides except when I travel, I know where i am and where i'm going anyway...:)

$100?!? great deal, I paid a lot more for mine but can't complain. A nice street pilot w/color wud be great, but I'm too cheap and as long as this one keeps working I'll keep working it.

AD7DB Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2004 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Quite adequate for APRS as well as regular GPS use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use one of these with my Kenwood D7A HT for totally portable APRS operations. This unit features the all important NMEA interface. You can also send APRS data back into this unit and display the locations of other APRS stations as waypoints.

By itself this is a fine GPS unit and I have used it for its intended function on many trips. It also has an interstate highway services directory (gas stations, campgrounds, restaurants etc).

The display is not in color. It only has 4 shades of gray. It only has major highways and some streets in urban areas.

I was lucky enough to pick up mine on a closeout for only $100! (I wish I'd gotten another one while I was at it!) The MSRP was around $300, and you're still going to see these new for about $200.