Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Shimizu SA-231 Help

Reviews Summary for Shimizu SA-231
Shimizu SA-231 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $55
Description: 23cm (1296) 7 el. quad antenna

You can write your own review of the Shimizu SA-231.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2006 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Neat little antenna. Ideal for rover or limited space.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I imported the Shimizu SA-231 directly from Japan -- it is not sold at U.S. dealers, which is a pity. It's a neatly made 7 el. quad for 23cm. It's extremely small and light, suitable for attaching a handle for handheld operation while roving or mounting on a short mast. Note that mounting hardware is not included. There is a hole at the end of the sqaure boom that you can use to attach whatever handle or mounting solution is appropriate for you.

I've used this antenna with a 1W FM rig (Kenwood TR-50) to pick up a few extra QSOs and multipliers during VHF and UHF contests and I've been pleasantly surprised at what I've been able to work. A 1296 SSB/CW rig is in my not too distant future and then I will really be able to put this antenna to the test. However, based on my results over the past year and a half I know I won't be disappnted.

If I have any quibble it's with the little run on mini-coax and the SMA connector provided. The manufacturer clearly expected this antenna to be used with an HT. I suspect the coax is quite lossy, even with the short length at this frequency. I've used an SMA-to-BNC adapter (my rig has a BNC connector) and yet another jumper made from low loss coax to make this thing functional. It has worked out well but I wonder if it would work even better if I eliminated the factory provided coax and connector. Hmmm...

Anyway, I've been impressed with the quality and performance of this little antenna. It's ideal for a rover or portable station adding 23cm to their arsenal. I think I'm going to have to import their 70cm quad as well.