Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM IC-R10 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-R10
ICOM IC-R10 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: All-mode handheld receiver
More info: http://www.icomreceivers.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-R10.

AC8JU Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2017 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Surprising  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned this for about a month and am still finding useful things to do with it. It's really more than I expected.
I'd been looking for an IC-R20 for several months without success, and bought this to fill a short term need to be able to monitor hurricane traffic while away from shack. It did that well, but needed to be connected to a real antenna, which was available.
The antenna it came with is a cripple on 20 meters, or for that matter anywhere below 6 meters. Good thing its easy to change.
It does not take much of an antenna to really make this thing sing. 20 ft. of wire will do it, but kinda defeats the point of the HT size and shape. A Butternut is way too much. It overloads the front end even with a QRP signal hundreds of miles away. This little thing must have quite a preamp stage. The attenuator helps a little, but not enough. Of course I didn't get this to chase DX from home. I have an IC-R75 and several tranceivers for that and need a real hand portable.
I've given up on ducks for HF. Best compromise so far is a 40" long telescoping whip. Effectiveness is decent, but use on a belt clip is impractical.
The antenna is a non=issue at and above VHF. everything is great here. FM broadcast, aviation, public service, all the ham bands thru 23 cm.
The scan functions work only on FM and AM which is understandable but disappointing, and programming is a pain, plus the scan rate is slow. The others were right. This is no scanner - but you can use it for one.
Another thing needing mention: Maybe it's just mine, but it eats batteries. Lots of AA alkalines, four at a time. A set of them won't last one day of SSB monitoring and using a wall wart kills off the hand portable factor just like the Butternut. Rechargables will hold down the price, but are depleted by lunchtime and take till tomorrow to charge.
I rated this surprising little Swiss Army Knife as a "4 - good". If the antenna was the only shortfall I'd give it a 5. It's appetite for batteries takes it down to a low 4, but you know what? I would not sell this little thing for three times what I paid for it.

CX6AV Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2008 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Best portable scanner!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hace varios años que poseo el ICR10 y para mi es el mejor scanner portatil que he tenido.
Excelente sensibilidad en todas las bandas, inclusive en algunas porciones que otros scanners no tienen,por ejemplo yo monitorizo sistemas radiotelemetricos en la banda de 270Mhz, impecable , donde otros no funcionan...
Tiene cosas muy utiles como el Band Scope (analizador de espectro ) ideal para ubicar señales desconocidas o conocer el centro de la portadora.Cómodos bancos de memorias y posibilidad de escribir sus nombres aun en cada memoria!!!. Software sin riesgo de perderse y jamas ha tenido problemas de colgarse ,muy efectivo y confiable.Teclas que permiten acceso directo a las funciones y digitación directa de frecuencia sin ahorro de perillas.Linda recepcion de radios de ondas cortas si se le improvisa una antenita telescopica o se le conecta un alambre o dipolo.En SSB es ancha , pero no puede pedirse un receptor profesional de SSB a un scanner portatil, demasiado lujo que lo trae y por lo menos funciona!!!.Quizás el único inconveniente es la corta duración de las pilas , pero trae tanta función, calidad de sonido, y display completo e iluminado que es logico su consumo...
He tenido decenas de scanners, pero este hace como 10 años que lo tengo y no lo cambiaré jamas...en fin, lo recomiendo, 10 puntos AAAA+++

NN2G Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2003 22:05 Send this review to a friend
best all around radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK, so the shortwave is a little wide and it's scanner functions aren't up to par. A external speaker would do justice for it. A cassette adapter for the car would be even better.

All that aside, here is a radio that has it all. AM/FM/Shortwave/TV (audio)/VHF/UHF in modes AM/FM/LSB/USB/CW. 1000 channels and does have alphanumeric memory.

I case you are asking, does it also get SSB receive on the VHF/UHF ham bands? Yep!

Where else for less than $300 can you get a handheld radio that covers 95 % of what any radio enthusiast would want?

I had this radio for over a year. I got it used for about $ 225, I am more than satisfied with this radio.

With a cassette adapter in a car and using a CB antenna I can listen to shortwave broadcasts and catch the 6 pm TV ( audio) news and catch the latest scanner activity while out and about. It also has a noise blanker, bar s meter, and alphanumeric memory.

Those wanting a scanner, will be disapointed with this radio, this is not a scanner! This is a communications radio that covers not just scanner frequencies but nearly everything else.

If you want a compact communications receiver that just about covers everything, this radio is for you. I gave it a 5 because of the reasonable performance ( not perfect), the small size ( about the size of a scanner) and for the wide range of frequncies that can be received with this radio.

This radio would be perfect for emergency prepardness situations. You could use this radio for the receiver part for your QRP transmitter. Too bad it doesn't also transmit!

KD4UXH Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2003 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Not Good As Stand Alone, Better Connected To Computer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had & used the IC-R10 for over a year now. When I first purchased it, I was excited to have what was touted as one of the best Communications Receivers on the market. To my inital disappointment I was to learn, as I'm sure many others have, that this receiver does not have one of the most common & now I see, one of the most taken for granted features on any scanner or receiver: Auto Mode / Auto Tuning Step! After having to search the manual for the R10, I found on page 69, I believe, that some of these units have to have it programmed into them. Many more nights were spent trying to locate the much needed software, that should've been supplied in the first place or else the unit should've been hardwired for this feature before ever leaving the factory. I had unfortunately assumed, a mistake on my part, that the needed software was the RT Systems programming software for the R10. I ordered the RT Systems software & happily started building up my frequency data files (.icf) for loading into the R10 but didn't see anywhere to activate the Auto Mode / Auto Tuning Steps of the R10 in the RT Systems software. I continued working on the frequencies till I had a complete file built up then I loaded my .icf file into the R10. The unit worked great for just scanning through the loaded frequencies but when it came to frequency hunting AKA VFO Scanning, it still didn't know what mode it should be in by default or what tuning step was the default for the appropriate mode. I was back to square one even though now I had frequencies stored in the R10. After contacting Icom about this issue & being in communications with their techs, which of course of little to no assistance, I was back to square one again! Having learned that on top of the $250 I shelled out for the unit, the $35 I paid for the RT Systems software, and now they wanted about $25 more for this one little DOS program. Being in the IT field professional for years, I knew that if I was patient, I'd locate it on-line. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe in piracy of software, after all, I write some of this stuff! But I do not believe in having to pay that much for a DOS program or any program that should've either been included with the unit or else the factory should've hardwired that feature so as not to require that software to activate it. After locating the much needed software, I was excited once again! After having some small problems with the software I finally got it to work & then learned that I had to manually work out a "band plan" for the entire spectrum of the R10, even worse was the fact that you only have only 16 or 17 "slots" to split the bands into for the Auto Tuning Steps feature. This took up even more time and lead to even more disappointment with this unit. Once I worked out a general "band plan", because after having contacted Icom again to see if they had a band plan file for this situation, they informaed me that they had no idea what I was talking about. Finally, with band plan in hand, I sat down for a bit to program this unit with this information to try an make it worth the money I'd spent on it thus far. I programmed all of the band plan data & tuning steps into it for the band plan data. It worked, at first! After I started to load the .icf frequency file back into it because the CSR-10 software erases it, good thing I had saved all of it, I discovered to my utter anger that just as the CSR-10 erased my frequencies, the RT Systems software erased the CSR-10 data I had spent weeks working on! In total anger, I stored the R-10 away for about 3 months. I finally one day resigned myself to try an find some use for this unit being that it wouldn't work as I had hoped or as it should've worked. Luckily, I discovered some really good software for the R10 as well as some very useful information about how to use the supplied data cable that came with the RT Systems software to control the R10 via CI-V operations. Now I've learned that this unit is not really of any real use as a standard Communications Receiver but it does work well with frequency control software and reaction tuning for use in TSCM work.

If you're looking for a great unit that does what the R10's supposed to do but doesn't, get yourself a Yaesu VR-500. It's small, compact, has great sound, the modes & tuning steps are hardwired but can be easily changed with little ease from it's RT Systems software. Plus it uses only 2 AA cell batteries as opposed to R10's uses of 4 and the operation time is the same!

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2002 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Good portable receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've read a couple of the reviews, and I notice how there are complaints about how it scans, etc. I'll second the motion that one ham stated, that this radio is a communications receiver, not a scanner. It outshines the Yaesu VR500, which I owned before this radio. Selectivity isn't the greatest, but for a portable HF/VHF/UHF receiver, I'm not complaining! Well worth the price!

FINETUNER Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2002 11:48 Send this review to a friend
I'm very pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hesitated for several years on my IC-R10 purchase, until the positive reviews on this site nudged me into giving it a chance. I'm very surprised and pleased! Initial disappointment with HF sensitivity on some bands, using a 24-inch telescopic ant, became irrelevant when I simply added a six-inch or so addition to the end of that. This is the secret for handheld HF on the R10. Signal handling from MW through SW is much improved over the R1. I'm very surprised that I'm hearing quite a number of distant MW stations and pretty much all the local AMers. Having SSB capabilities in such a small unit is extremely cool. A five-kHz AM filter upgrade would do WONDERS for the R10! Other bands...I'm hearing CB traffic (yes I listen to CB too), and the full assortment of VHF/UHF signals. Using the attenuator on FM broadcast let the weaker FM locals through fine business. And TV audio to boot, including stations in adjacent markets. The R10 BTW is very lightweight and feels excellent. My only problem is that the NB/ANL is actually generating static when I'm in SSB or CW modes. I don't know if my R10 is defective or maybe they all do this. Otherwise, the IC-R10 definitely lives up to its "wideband" description. My plea to Icom: Give the IC-R10 a 5kHz AM filter!! It deserves this improvement!

K9FTB Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2002 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Buy A Transceiver Instead  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the R10 thinking the "DC to light" coverage would provide a great little all purpose handheld for traveling on business. Well I'd suggest you read the prior reviews carefully regarding sensitivity, squelch, and memory use & scanning. For $290, on sale, I'm returning mine tomorrow. When compared to my VX-5, the R10 is quite deaf, more difficult to operate, more difficult to access / scan memories, and consumes batteries as if they were free. Don't get me wrong, I've got other ICOM products and I'm well satisfied with them (IC-2100, IC-2800, IC910). This little guy is a dud. Sitting side by side I can hear WWV @ 10 & 15 Mhz on the VX-5 while no sound whatsoever on the R10, both with stock antennas. In three days, I've used one set of AA's already. I learned from www.strongsignals.net that this is a 1997 design. Not worth it for me - I would not buy again and I would recommend everyone take a lot at alternative products before laying down $290.

KC2IAF Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2002 21:22 Send this review to a friend
R-10 is exelent for ham's & pro's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The R10 is not and should never be considered to be a scanner. It is a professional wideband receiver. (Not some Uiniden Crapcat) Anyone who makes this mistake will not be satisfied with it. It scans way to slow and is too complicated to operate for the average consumer/scannist. I found it to be an excellent receiver. It took a while to figure out it's functionality in depth. After I used it for about a month I came to this conclusion-For every day fire police local bull crap it is not recommended. But for HF, SWL, Aeronautics, Military, Hidden Frequencies, and Bug sniffing, it's an excellent buy! I wouldn't trade it for anything. BUT don’t confuse it with a Scanner! READ what it says below the LCD.-- WIDEBAND RECEIVER.

SWL1NBCAN Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2002 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Scan-able RCVR  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this unit sight unseen from HRO at a fire sale price. 1000 memories and great LCD screen, plus decent selectivity (for the size of the radio). Works as well as my old Sangean tabletop on HF, but way more portable. Added an MFJ longranger 2m antenna instead of tiny (included) ducky; big improvement for marginal signals. I must agree with the gent who asked
for up/down tuning buttons...knob turning gets tiring pretty quick. Complicated scanning
functions, but worth learning to use. Oddly, the SSB will not function if you are using the radio
connected to the battery charger; very garbled, but it works great on the batteries. Text display
is excellent; allows enough characters to properly describe each mem. freq. Finally, a real full
coverage rcvr. that is portable enough and sensitive enough to take along that will rival a much bigger radio. And did I mention how portable it was?

KD4UXM Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2002 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my R10 yesterday. Kinda bought it as a second thought though. Boy, was I surprised with it's performance. The first thing I checked was the H.F. performance. I hooked the scanner antenna to the BNC and viola, in came 20 meters, wide open and with decent selectivity too! After playing with H.F. for awhile, I tried the V.H.F. again I was surprised. Equal to my Pro 92 and my BC 245.Although scan speed not as fast. I ought to mention that I have tried many "wide coverage receivers" in the past and I was very, very dissappointed with them. This list includes the IC PCR1000 and PCR 100 and the AOR 8200B MKII among others. Anyway, to conclude,I reccomend this radio to anyone looking for portability. No it's not a R8B or 756 PRO, buts lots cheaper and as much fun!