Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM IC-R10 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-R10
ICOM IC-R10 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: All-mode handheld receiver
More info: http://www.icomreceivers.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-R10.

KC2GZP Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2001 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great reciever, does a lot!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned the Icom R10 for about 7 months now and it works great for HF and VHF reception. I give it only a 4 because it could use some improvements such as a joystick control for tuning, because turning the knob becomes tedious after a while. My suggestion on batteries is to buy rechargeable NiMH batteries at Home Depot or Sears because it does use the batteries if you use it a lot. I have a mobile mount scanner antenna from Radio Shack and it works great on everything except 80 and 160 meters. I mostly use it to listen to TV and radio stations when I am outside at home but when I go mobile it works great on HF. All around, this is a great little reciever, it is light and can take it anywhere with you. 73's

N7FAE Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2001 11:36 Send this review to a friend
More Than A Scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the R10 for over a year now, and continue to be very pleased with it. I use it primarily as a handheld General Coverage Reciever, an area in which it excels for a handheld. Multimode rx, good audio, and fine tuning steps make listening to SSB very nice indeed. Only complaint I had was that HF performance was severely lacking with the supplied duck (understandable for any handheld in this category). For HF and casual SW listening, I use the small Grove Enterprises 'Active Duck' handheld antenna, which really improves HF without using a long whip. Battery life is very good with alkalines, and lasts much longer than nicads for sure. Function switch use is cumbersome, requiring two hands to make a change. Lot's of memories, not too happy about the 'bank' arrangement, and scanning is slower than desired. Again, it's a great handheld 'wideband receiver', but in my opiniion, it does not excel as a Scanner.

KA6CAI Rating: 3/5 Apr 21, 2001 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Wide Band coverage, poor features  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the R-10 back in '97. It had good audio quality, excellent HF reception with telescoping or wire antenna and good reception for above 30mhz. The re-scan feature was the biggest reason for me selling it as I was not able to defeat it. It was irritating to hear a call from an interesting source, just to have it scan again before they were through. The radio performed well with antennas other than the stock. Slow in scanning and SSB filters were much to wide. It ate batteries much to fast. Ergonomically and ascetically looks great and good portable. I traded it for an AOR 8000 which has the same features but less cumbersome.

KB9KEC Rating: 2/5 Nov 19, 2000 20:21 Send this review to a friend
This radio was not designed by someone who uses scanners.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had expected better from ICOM when I purchased this radio. For a high end scanner it has several flaws. First, it has 18 channel banks, but you can only listen to one bank at a time. There is no provision to select several banks to listen to. Second, the scan speed for programmed channels is VERY slow, only 6 channels per second.
(Most other scanners scan at 25 channels per second). If you want to lock out a particular channel you must go into the channel program mode.
This is not a user friendly radio. On the plus side It is very rugged and compact and I like the
lighted keypad.

VK2HDH Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2000 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Nifty and great coverage, tedious to use on SSB, great on V/UHF  Time owned: months
I bought one before getting my novice licence, so I could listen to whats on the bands. Gret for V/UHF, needs assistance with amateur HF, in the shack I've teamed it up with an MFJ 1040B preselector, this gets in some good signal with a longwire. Two things that could be improved - give me up/down buttons please, it sure gets tedious rotating that little knob. Also being able to change tuning step with one button would be much better than holding the function button while turning the tuning knob, this is very, very tiresome when listening to SSB. If someone knows easier method, let me know! Heavy on batteries. Light and compact. Seems to be quite rugged, doesn't mind travelling.

KA0GWS Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2000 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Allot packaged in a little handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If your comfortable with the performance of an HF (with general coverage receive) or a high performance receiver, this is a handheld that will take some getting used to. This is a fun radio once you get comfortable with it. CW and SSB reception reminds me of the days I operated QRP from the mountains.

PRO:
* Full of features; wide coverage, all mode (AM, FM, WideFM, SSB/CW), can adjust tuning steps down to 10Khz, direct frequency entry, "banked" scan, easy to hold and carry (not too small, not too big), programmed channels can include customized descriptions, can scan a wide frequency range, etc.
* Requires only 4 AA batteries (although Yaesu's handheld only requires 2). I can get a package of 4 AA Alkaline from Walgreen's for less than $3.
* Includes NiCads, charger/power pack, belt clip (though fragile), and wrist strap.
* Software is available to clone, or enter frequencies via PC or other Icom radio.

CON:
* Scanning speed is slower than other hand held scanners I've own and used.
* Using the FUNCTION button on the R10 requires a two hand operation.
* Using the functionality via PC requires a $140 converter.
* HF sensitivity is hindered by the antenna that came with the unit.

With an addition of a telescopic whip (purchased from Radio Shack for $10), HF reception improved significantly - I can sit on the porch comfortably listening to any reception from HF to UHF. During travel, short-wave listening away from home is a blast - it's interesting listening to 40M and 80M activities away from home.

Suggestions:
* Use a telescopic whip for receptions below 30Mhz - would have been nice for Icom to include one in their package.
* Use alkaline batteries - Walgreen's or Long Drugs Alkaline brands are just as good as the higher prices Energizers. I haven't yet used the NiCads included with the radio.

LU2AW Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2000 03:06 Send this review to a friend
A great tool, and a very good portable receiver  Time owned: unknown months
If you are looking for your main full coverage receiver/scanner
definitely this is not the best choice, but if you want to enjoy
monitoring almost from DC to light from wherever you are, whatever the
mode, have your 1000 favorite frequencies memorized arranged in banks
and convenitely identified wherever you go, have the chance to monitor
all your analog transmissions and run TX/field tests, or enjoy a fox
hunt with convenient features, this device will be your best friend. I
use it along with the Optoelectronics Scout and have a lot of fun. Have
this in mind: remember to carry four extra AA-size bateries, a 20ft piece of wire for MF/HF, and change the supplied antenna (too bad eficiency)
for the Icom's FA-1443B (the best antenna I ever tested on scanners).
And just one more thing, for tuning into SSB dont care if you choose LSB
or USB, you will be able to clarify using any of them. I live in a high

K0QEC Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2000 14:27 Send this review to a friend
It does everything, almost.  Time owned: unknown months
Great little radio. HF reception is weak unless you have a very good HF outdoor antenna tied to it. Purchase of a long extension whip with a BNC connector is a must for HF. SSB is fair to good. Can't quite tune as accurately as you might like. Small amount of drift over time. May be battery voltage drop? Batteries last for a short day before needing a recharge even with the best quality rechargable batteries. VHF/UHF reception is a little better but not a match for current single band transceiver reception. Scanning is good as well as it's choices of scanning modes. The software from ICOM is not the best but is functional. Computer control works as expected. Overall a nice little broadband recieiver; just don't expect it to compare with your desktop full sized rig. I'm glad I have mine and would recommend it for a small all-round handheld reciever. Still have trouble getting used to the on/off switch being a button and not at the end of the vol control.