Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM IC-R75 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-R75
ICOM IC-R75 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $570.
Description: Desktop Communications Receiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/receivers/tabletop/#IC-R75

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-R75.

KD7CJO Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 14:06 Send this review to a friend
good dx rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used this thing since around `04 and will not part with it! The funny rf/squ knob is very handy once you get used to their function as are the PBT controls. These features have come in VERY handy for dxing the basement band, as well as hf in less then great band conds.

I use it for lf,and mf-hf dx and ut. monitoring. As mine is one of the older models, I don`t know how the newest units stack up. But would think they are still top notch rigs. They stack up well against rigs from Drake and JRD.(the specs are very similar) Rig is very sensitive and is fairly easy to operate.

Got mine on a clearance sale with the DSP board built in and just love it. It`s an old rig now, but still a goodie!(being introduced in early `90`s I think) A very good buy that I don`t regret by any means. Got a LOT of hours on mine. The mem. batt. failed after 5+ years, but that's an easy fix. If your looking for a good rvcr, don`t pass up on this one. 73 and vry good dx de kd7cjo in dn51

BEAM Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 10:30 Send this review to a friend
The best HF receiver (with a VFO knob) I've ever had.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years I had several RX and RTX HF: PCR-1000, IC-746, R-5000, TS-480SAT, IC-738, IC-718, PCR-1500, AR-3000A, AR-3030, Perseus and Softrock ensemble II RX.

I must say that for the quality of reception and the layout of the controls, the Icom IC-R75 is the best receiver I've ever used.
It can be easily interfaced with the computer, its price on the used market is not excessive, its dimensions are right and it is very pleasant to use.

The two things I do not like are the front firing speaker which is a bit 'too small (though I think it is appropriate to hear the speech) and the 12V power connector on that tends to unsolder easily from it's card.
Of course you can use an external speaker for a richer sound of bass.

The optional UT-106 I do not think adds much to the quality of reception.

Today I would not spend more money in the purchase of optional filters, rather I would purchase a SDR receiver that allows you to manage much better bandwidths, and has the advantage of having an overview of the band in which you are listening.

But the pleasure of using a real VFO knob is priceless.

Il migliore ricevitore HF (con la manopola del VFO) che abbia mai avuto.

Negli anni ho avuto diversi RX e RTX HF: PCR-1000, IC-746, R-5000, TS-480SAT, IC-738, IC-718, PCR-1500, AR-3000A, AR-3030, Perseus e Softrock ensemble II RX.
Devo dire che per la qualità della ricezione e la disposizione dei comandi l'Icom IC-R75 è il miglior ricevitore che abbia mai usato.
Lo si può interfacciare molto facilmente con il computer, il suo prezzo sul mercato dell'usato non è assolutamente eccessivo, le sue dimensioni sono giuste ed è molto piacevole da usare.

Le due cose che non mi piacciono sono l'altoparlante frontale che è un po' troppo piccolo (anche se credo sia adeguato per ascoltare le comunicazioni vocali) e il connettore di alimentazione a 12V che tende a dissaldarsi facilmente.
Ovviamente è possibile utilizzare un altoparlante esterno per avere un suono più ricco di toni bassi.

Il modulo opzionale UT-106 non credo aggiunga molto alla qualità di ricezione.

Oggigiorno non spenderei altri soldi nell'acquisto di filtri opzionali, piuttosto li investirei nell'acquisto di un ricevitore SDR che permette di gestire molto meglio le larghezze di banda, ed ha il vantaggio di avere una visione panoramica della gamma in cui si sta facendo ascolto.

Ma il piacere di poter utilizzare una vera manopola del VFO è impagabile.

AD0BL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Will never part with it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had all Kiwa mods done on the radio. Prior to the mods, the audio was harsh and the synch was useless. After the mods, the audio was vastly improved and the synch works.

The very good points of the radio:
1. Solid build with precise tuning knob and controls.
2. Very stable - no drift.
3. Sensitive.
4. Filtering works well (once you understand it and get it set up correctly).
5. AGC works great when you back off the rf gain.
6. Rich audio with the Kiwa audio upgrade.

Again, this receiver is a keeper for me!

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2012 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Good for VHF low band Dx'ing  Time owned: more than 12 months
My opinion of the IC-R75 hasn't changed in the past 5 years - its still my all-time favorite. The 2 things keeping me attracted to it are (a.) the extended coverage, i.e. 30 kHz - 60 MHz, i.e. more Dx'ing fun if one gets temporarily bored with HF, and (b.) advanced controls which really facilitate weak signal Dx'ing, i.e. twin passband tuning and, if the situation requires, adjustable DSP function and separate built-in preamps. Oh sure, the audio isn't like grandpa's old tube radio, but one thing you can't deny its sharp and clear. There's never an issue with intelligibility.

Recently I've discovered that the IC-R75 is great for VHF-low band Dx'ing. I found that out by chance, the other night while tuning through. I got police transmissions on a 42 MHz frequency I wasn't familiar with. When I looked up the FCC call sign I was shocked: Missouri State Highway Patrol - I am in eastern Virginia. Since then I've gone back nightly and have received Pennsylvania, and various other (yet) UNID local agencies which aren't local. So folks, don't dismiss the VHF-low band. Use the IC-R75 to Dx it. You might get a pleasant surprise.

I'd like to mention the receiver's MW Dx'ing ability by saying this: It doesn't need Kiwa modifications. The stock unit is really good on MW, the internal attenuation pad is literally nothing. Sure, you can open the radio and bypass it, but there won't be a noticeable improvement in MW Dx'ing range if any. I've had a Kiwa modified IC-R75 before and I could not tell the difference between it and stock. The radio is fine the way it is, I dare say real good.

In short I can always get something on the IC-R75 that I can't get on another general coverage receiver. More fun. Whether or not its $700 worth of fun is something you need to debate with yourself.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2012 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had my R-75 for a few weeks now. I have it on a discone antenna and a short wire antenna. Both work great even though the discone antenna only goes down as far as 25 mhz. and the wire is inside the shack. It still receives rather well all the way down to 160 meters and the AM broadcast band. I like the 2 preamps and the 2 antenna ports switchable from the front panel. A real plus for this receiver. And it can be controlled via computer. I use HRD+ DM780 for excellent RX on digital modes or with out DM 780 for mouse tuning on my computer screen!

JRT3 Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought an Icom R70 when they first came out - but sold it and upgraded to the JRC NRD-525 - then Drake R8 - as they became available. I added a Lowe HF-150 over a decade ago - and a Palstar R30A over three years back. I finally bought an older R-75 - which included the AM sync detector - at the end of last year. It immediately impressed me. It quickly replaced the Palstar, except for the local listening on MW. My NRD-525/R8/HF-150 sit on a shelf unused for now. My only antenna now, my 'farm' now all-but-barren, is a Pixel DX Pro-1a.

The bare R75 is a great DX receiver - not quite to my much modded NRD-525 - but some better filters in AM mode would fix that. The NB & NR works well, too. On MW, it is at least as sensitive as the R30A - and that's bare (pre-amps off). My biggest complaint - it runs warm with the included AD-55A power supply - rated at 16V DC @ 1.5A, although it registers 19.2V DC open load. I have since bought a heavy duty (5A) 12V DC cord and size 'Q' adapter from RS - and use it plugged in a 12V 'Jump Start' from Harbor Freight (Sale - $30), which includes a 12V 17 A-Hr battery, meter, and charging circuit. It runs 10-12 hr before dropping to 11.4V and requiring recharge (The R30A runs 20 hr.). On DC, it runs room temp. It takes 1/4" mono/stereo phones.I'd rate it - bare - as a far better buy than the $100 more Palstar. Also, it comes with a great manual - and schematic - and has available a service manual, also a consideration. Whatever you do, use a decent speaker or headphones!

KC9KTI Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2011 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not going to re-hash previous reviews, just going to say I love this radio. I have been a radio junkie all my life and have owned the Icom R71-a and Drake R8b to name a couple. This little radio is outstanding and rivals more expensive models. This actually replaced the Drake in my shack as I found the Drake not personally user friendly.

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2011 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I go 2 Icom-R75 only one with the dsp unit both perform excellent on hf mainly monitor utilities,
aero antennas are Wellbrook-ALA1530,1530L,330S do have other hf receivers from Aor,Alinco,Palstar,
Ten Tec all these other radios performance is equal if u havent got a decent antenna u are not going to get anywhere on hf...

K6HOM Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Kiwa Mods Give Excellent AM BCB Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My R75 is a relatively recently purchased pre-owned unit w/AM synch and UT-106 DSP that I immediately sent for the full Kiwa upgrades (AM synch detect. upgrade, audio upgrade, BCB attenuation removal & 6 kHz filter). I have no experience with the stock R75.

When not hamming, I enjoy AM-BCB DX and have used a Drake R8A for many years in this pursuit. I wanted a Kiwa R75 for its AM-BCB DX potential. First, a UT-106 R75 is one of the few affordable radios with built-in DSP that will operate at MW frequencies. Potentially a real advantage. Second, removal of the R75's BCB attenuation allows both its Preamps 1 and 2 to operate at these frequencies, reportedly yielding exceptional sensitivity.

So how well does all of this work?
1. BCB sensitivity is excellent. It is beneficial to be able to choose between two levels of preamplification. Preamp 2 can introduce some images from strong local AM stations. In my case not many and not present all of the time, but they can occasionally be heard. I have not found this to be a major issue so far.

2. Kiwa’s AM synch detector is very good. I don’t use this feature very often, mostly when listening to a far away ball game, but the price of this upgrade is nominal. Locks on to most weak signals, for those weaker signals where it fails to lock, my R8A synch detector also fails to lock.

3. Filters. Related to (2), my experience is that AM-BCB DX is usually better-accomplished with ECSS detection than with a AM synch detector (haven’t experienced a Sherwood SE-3 yet). Initial AM-BCB ECSS performance with the Kiwa R75 made me wish for different filter options. The stock R75 filters yield AM bandwidths of 15, 6, & 2.4 kHz. The current Kiwa filter adds another 6 kHz option. [Some say that the OEM 6 kHz filter is closer to 8 kHz, the Kiwa is supposed to truly be a 6 kHz filter. I didn’t experience a huge difference.] I found these options to be either too wide or too narrow for good ECSS. I recently swapped the Kiwa 6 kHz filter for a Icom FL-257 (3.3 kHz). I’m a happy camper now, this new filter is also a good “wide” SSB option.
[Please note that the original Kiwa mod added a high quality 3.8 kHz filter. Kiwa no longer has a source for these filters and now adds a 6 kHz filter if the “Kiwa Filter” upgrade is ordered.]

4. Audio. Most of my listening is via headphones and my R75 is connected to an old stereo receiver & speakers via the Record (Out) jack. Good audio. The native tonal balance has a bit more treble compared to the richer tonal balance of my R8A. Through headphones, I prefer the R75 audio because the intelligibility of weak stations is usually better.

5. DSP performance is not as good as I had hoped. The noise reduction is modest before the DSP begins reducing readability. Still, a significant improvement though. While an unfair comparison, the DSP on my Icom 756 Pro yields much better performance on equivalent signals, same antenna.

6. Terrific SSB performance. Through the same antenna, the R75 hears everything that my 756 Pro does.

7. Ergonomics. I like the way that the R75 controls operate. Very nice weighted tuning knob, positive action keys, no menus really needed once you set up the radio to your liking. Nice display, compact size, very good build quality. As much as I hate to say this, I prefer the controls of this radio over my R8A. (i.e. spongy numeric keypad that often is non-responsive to keystrokes, cheap tuning knob with no “feel”).

Overall, I am quite pleased with the performance of this radio. It delivers excellent performance.

NW8Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Best Receiver for the money out there!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this receiver for the price you can't beat it!!

You can combine filters and add new ones if you wish.

I just installed a Murata filter 3Khz 455Khz and it was super easy to do. I have posted pics of the install at the Yahoo groups for Icom R75.

It's so sensitive I picked up a couple of Hams last night talking from North Dakota and Salt Lake City and I live in Ohio.

I just ordered the UT-102 unit and will install a CW filter and I'm good to go.

It is hands down the best receiver that I have ever owned and at a fraction of some of the other receivers out there.

Go Icom!!