Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM IC-R75 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-R75
ICOM IC-R75 Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $570.
Description: Desktop Communications Receiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/receivers/tabletop/#IC-R75

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-R75.

73383 Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2007 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the R-75 for 3-4 years and think it works quite well. I use it to scan aviation HF frequencies and had to put a broadcast band filter at the antenna input to eliminate interference from nearby BCB stations. I have it connected to an end-fed antenna with an MLB-1 from Palomar Engineers.

The R-75 is quite easy to manually setup and program but there is plenty of software out there to make programming and running even easier. I use Icom's RS-R75 software, Ham Radio Deluxe, which I customized for the receiver, and R75 Programmer by Guindasoft (http://guindasoft.impreseweb.com/radio/radio.html).

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2007 16:23 Send this review to a friend
top end reciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
The reciever is almost as good as my proIII,So easy to operate i can navigate this rig in the dark.Handsome rugged design,I hope icom keeps making theese recievers because there is not many good ones around.

KC9KTI Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2007 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't complain about this little gem. I used to have an Icom R71-A that I loved and from there went to a Drake R8B. The drake was nice, but not my kind of radio for some reason, so I sold it on Ebay and with half the money bought a new R75. I love it, it is my main receiver. You can't go wrong here, I use it to receive PSK as well!

DAVIDVD59 Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2007 21:15 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really like the Icom R75, the features of dual passband tuning, automatic notch filter and a working noise blanker with dual preamps make this radio perfect for me. The one negative I do not like is when the noise blanker is on, it can distort strong am and ssb signals. The preamps give me the options when I take the radio portable with me so I can use a whip antenna and get good reception on the amateur bands. I liked the radio so much I bought two, and would buy a third if I could. I have owned Kenwood R5000, R2000, R1000, and an Icom R71 and the Yaesu Frg 100. My favorite of all these radios is the Icom R75. As for the negatives listed by other people, those issues do not bother me at all, after 30+ years of swl, I really enjoy the radio, and I am sorry to hear Icom discontinued it without planning a new radio.

ALANWONG1 Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2007 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Go and Buy It!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To those future new owners of this receiver, please bear in mind the R75 requires modification to its Sync Detector if you use it regularly for SWL like myself....

I've opted to use the Rado V2.0 Mod Kit where you can get it from SWL-Remote...

If you don't have electronic bldg. skills, like myself, you can opt to seek the services of a PCB Repair Technician whom can do all of the required soldering works and uplifting of the Motorola IC pin....

Moreover, you can get further assistance from R75 Yahoo Group, especially from Dr Phil and other kind members...

Finally, if you require a higher dynamic range, Dr Phil has recommended its Phil's Fidelity Mod where you can either do it yourself or ask the same PCB technician to carry it out...

In summary, go and get the R75 before its Sync Detector chip is omitted in future batches of production...

KI4SIQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2007 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like this radio and have enjoyed listening to it. The internal speaker could be improved as well as the automatic gain control. I would like to see a ground lug on this radio. My VFO encoder failed after about 6 months from purchase. ICOM was prompt to fix the radio, but it is annoying to have to send a radio back. I suspect that the encoder failed from a static discharge dissipating from my finger (I noticed the shock). The Gnd wire connected to the antenna spring terminal had worked itself loose. I wonder if it would have failed if the chassis had been grounded at the time?

I now ground the radio through the coax antenna connector.

So I give it a 4 out of 5 for the speaker, AGC, and lack of a ground lug. That said...I don't know of any radios that I would rate as a 5. There are better radios...but they cost a lot more.

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2007 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After getting rid of the Eton 1-XM, I purchased the Icom. What a difference! Small learning curve, and with the PAR End Fed SWL antenna E-W at 20 feet, I am able to truly DX gain. If you want the sleep function to not wake you up, you can turn it off in the menus. It really performs.
It has many features i have not even explored yet.
You will not be diappointed in the performance.

KL1X Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2006 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two and they perform well in a lot of variable environments - here in Shanghai we have a lot of big Bcst stations on MW but the R75 copes pretty well unless you add a few Volts by selecting preamp 2. Talking of which, one oddity is that between 30 and 76Khz Preamp 1 acts as an 6 dB attenuator - above this range it doesnt. Its still pretty hot down at the LF end and pretty stable holding within 0.1Hz at around 137Khz over a 24hr period without the high stab xtal. Other small grumble is (I) would like a variable output adjust on the Rec output line - Nice unit. Glad I have them.

NL7W Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2006 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio w/ Outboard Audio Amp & Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been very pleased with this radio.

I'm using the "recorder jack" fixed low-level audio output to drive a Bogen Classic Series 20-watt public address amplifier, which in turn, drives a JBL Pro III bookshelf speaker with a high quality 5.25 inch driver. The final audio results are just amazing -- making all monitoring quite enjoyable.

The optional DSP board is worth the money and increases the listening enjoyment of SSB and other weak signal modes.

AM band reception is geaat with the stock filters and my better outboard audio chain.

73!

MIKEAMIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2006 13:02 Send this review to a friend
R75 = Great Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Despite some of the problems and limitations of the R75, you can't beat the price performance ratio of this radio. It's an understatement to say that you get a lot of radio for the money.

Great customer service from ICOM to boot.