Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood SP-31 Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood SP-31 Speaker
Kenwood SP-31 Speaker Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89
Description: Matching speaker with audio filters for TS-850S, TS-870S, TS-790
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=DownloadFile&Document=20fed38fea4296bf36b5237435c96206b9b7656a345bfe272ebf64134fae391acfb03da262588007b91858563fe4f94f

You can write your own review of the Kenwood SP-31 Speaker.

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Sounds great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently purchased a used SP31 and attached it to my Icom 7000 in the shack. The filter selections are good and the speaker was a nice improvement for the audio.

These are good buys used and can be had for under $100. Highly recommended.

SQ9OKY Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
GOOD AUDIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Kenwood SP-31:
TS-870, TS-950,TR-255-TR-751E
great sound

VA3DTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Spent time searching for a mint condition Kenwood SP-31 Speaker. Picked it up for $100.00 CDN. Works very well with my Kenwood TS-870S HF Transceiver and enhances its digital signal processor.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2009 22:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Value for the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I shopped around a little before deciding to purchase this one. It does remove that annoying hiss and keeps the audio within the communication range. I figure "high fidelity" isn't the goal here.
I've seen points docked for "slippery feet" under the unit. I had a set of replacement rubber feet in my spare junk drawer. Easy enough...
I also think it isn't unreasonable to hold top of the speaker to plug in a headphone jack.
The bottom line for me: This is a great quality speaker at a great price!!

AA3K Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2008 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good addition to the station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this years ago as an anniversarry present for use with my TS-850 and after plugging it found the audio from its larger speaker great and filters useful. The box is mostly air but this may help with the speakers performance, I'm not a speaker afecionado. The filters are quite useful in knocking down the background hiss without altering the signal much.

The only thing I found not too useful in my shack is the A/B input. The second radio was a 2m rig and if your listening to HF unless you see the 2m S-meter deflect you don't know there's activity there.

Now that I have an Icom 756 it still works great. (Eight ohm speaker is an 8-ohm speaker.) But after reading the Icom speaker reviews, I don't know if I want to spend the money on their matching speaker.

OE6MDF Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2007 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great sound!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it on my TS850S. Extremly good sound!

PETERONE Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 23:14 Send this review to a friend
NICE SPEAKER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NICE KENWOOD COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKER.
I USE A KENWOOD FOR SSB, CW AND AM AND IT SOUND GREAT IN ALL MODE.

WA4053SWL Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2007 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice speaker!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Kenwood SP-31 amazing speaker, makes a BIG difference in every mode, AM-CW-SSB or Digital, highly recommended!!!

N5IVZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2005 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice Sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice sound that fills a room but difficult to use with 'phones. Speaker tends to move across my desk like it is on a Ouiji board when trying to plug in my headphones.

Great Looks! Use it with my 850s and my 830s.

Would recommend it highly if you can anchor it to your desk.

G8KHS Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2005 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this speaker for over six years; I bought it new, and used it with various transceivers. It's now in service with my TS790.

Likes:
1. Good filters.
2. Two radio A/B input switching.
3. Line out phono.
4. Attractive matching finish for TS790 &TS850.
5. Nice frequency response with low listening fatigue.

Dislikes:
1. Speaker wadding is needed for elimination of boxy effect, but most speakers IMO need this.
2. I had to fix thin rubber sheet disks on the feet to stop movement when pressing the buttons.

It's up there with the SP930/940/950 for quality, and its price is not too bad compared to the other companies products.

73, John.