Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 320 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio since 2004 and it is a great little radio. No complaints and love the wide receive. It is easy to open up for MARS. I must also add this. Don't over charge the HT or the battery will be toast. I left it on the charger by accident for three days and it read 7.2 volts on the receive but the transmit was toast. I had to get another battery.

AB8XA Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 03:22 Send this review to a friend
A Proven Winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife won this radio about five years ago. I supported it for her ever since and I came to love it a lot. Itís well built in Japan and rugged. The interface is simple and intuitive. It has battery-saving features that stretch the battery life beyond a long day. It can transmit at a full 5W with six easy to find AA alkaline batteries and many owners use eneloop NiMH batteries in the optional tray. Its 1,000 alpha-nameable memories are more than weíll ever use and its so quick and easy to add to one, Iíve never forgot how or had to use a computer to program it. Iíve gotten to the point I canít read the button labels on my Icom 91AD and am tired of needing an oven mitt to use it (I also won it and donít D-Star). Iíve looked at all the new, fancy/complicated HTs out there and realized what I NEED is an FT-60R. So I just bought one (and a AA tray and clone cable) for me. There's a reason it's still in production since 2004 and for its 4.6 stars out of 319 review here.

RADI0HEAD Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2016 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very easy to program. Great TX/RX audio. I have three batteries that I rotate on a Yaesu VAC-370 rapid charger(1.5 hour).

KC7SBQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2016 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Good radio,bad charger  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love my FT-60R. The radio is easy to program, the manual almost makes sense and the radio sounds good. I wish Yaesu would do something about the charger. It is an idiotic cradle design.

IU0CXU Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Simply superb  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I always used hand-held brand Chinese (Baofeng UV9R ) and the comparison is virtually impossible.

My own FT60E, even if connected to a base station antenna (Comet GP5 M and Malcott's FX 727) never felt into saturation and it is better than the Polmar DB50M normally used in base station operations.
Not good battery NiMH (poor life).
Plastic case and commands are of good quality. Really easy to program manually.

W2DAB Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Bulletproof performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my FT-60r, it was my first radio in 2005 when I got my tech ticket. I've used this radio day in day out for these 10 years with only one complaint. The markings on the rubber keys wear off, I've replaced them once... not a hard process but I'm kind of annoyed by that small thing.

Otherwise, this unit hits all repeaters in my area with ease and always gets good signal reports. At around 150. new it's worth the investment as it will give you many years of service.

KC9LCS Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and Simple!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very simple and well performing 2m/70cm HT!! Whether you are a new ham or an old Elmer this radio is an excellent choice!!! Rugged!!! Great Battery Life!!! Easy to program without using software!!! Great signal reports!!!

KG4NEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Great choice for a no-frills HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I hadn't owned an HT in over a decade, but I was familiar with Yaesu from my time with a VX-5R as a newly-licensed Technician-class ham in 2001. Recently, I was looking for an HT I could carry with me on backpacking and hiking trips where I thought it would be useful to have in case an FM repeater was the only way of reaching help if needed - as well as an easy way to get NOAA weather reports in case the weather turned ominous. Looking around at the HT landscape, things had definitely changed since the early Ď00s. Built-in TNCs, D-Star, and the proliferation of discount Chinese HTs; I didnít mind spending a little more for something built to commercial standards, but which manufacturer offered the best value?

I ended up choosing Yaesuís FT-60R because it did everything I needed, and nothing I didnít. Reasonably-wide dual band receive coverage (No 162MHz weather coverage on the FT-817ND, Yaesu? Really?), built-like-a-brick construction, and no extra digital modes or features beyond FM voice. I also appreciated the twin analog/volume controls; I ďtest-droveĒ a Kenwood TH-F6A that had a menu-set squelch, and coming from the VX-5R I didnít realize how much I missed that feature until I used the Kenwood. I live in a somewhat rural area, so intermod has never been a significant problem, but the receiver seems somewhat resilient to out-of-band interference - even on top of local peaks inhabited by transmitters that dwarf ham repeaters. The physical size is just perfect; big enough to provide some heft and balance in your hand, but doesnít feel like you have a block of lead clipped to your belt after a dayís trek.

Finally, the downsides Ė it does come with an SMA connector, but I think the days of BNCs on ham HTs are numbered. Fortunately, thereís an excellent adapter available from Stephen Gulyas, KC2BHO, that solves that issue very effectively, and without any stress on the connector. The stock antenna is somewhat deaf, but thatís to be expected; if you can live with the extra length, Diamondís RH-77CA makes a world of difference.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Durable, all purpose HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine eight years now with never a problem, even though I give it a fair amount of rough treatment. I've never noticed any particular sensitivity to interference, although I doubt there's an HT made for the amateur market that won't get a squawk under some circumstances. I program mine with software most of the time, but manual programming isn't really very difficult.

This radio has been in Yaseu's lineup for almost a decade now. There's a reason for that.

N8KIM Rating: 3/5 Aug 11, 2015 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Not good for intercity work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased it from Universal radio, that was my first mistake. I wanted the wideband receive so I could hear my buddies 900 megahertz repeater. But the radio will not allow reception in that area of the band! The worst part was the fact that the radio was constantly buzzing and burping from front end overload intermod. I had to have the squelch on all the way to keep the noise out. Granted I work in the city of Detroit where there is plenty of RF around. I returned the radio to Universal radio in exchange for the Alinco DJ 500t. Still waiting for that to arrive. So seems like a great radio too bad it wouldn't work in the city.