Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 325 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

ZL1BAK Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 02:56 Send this review to a friend
As good as everyone says  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This handheld really is as good as everyone says.
Great audio, very rugged, easy to use and program and battery life is excellent. It is also very reasonably priced.I am very happy with this fine handheld.
N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
A Good One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update from 5 yrs. ago: Still love this HT which is a great dual bander and is built like a tank. Pros are great audio on RX and TX, super long battery life and size is just about right. It is super reliable, no problems at all and still on the original battery. Surprisingly the built in mic provides better audio on both rx and tx than the Yaesu speaker mic. Cons are few but have to mention the "wires" issue plus it takes a bit of work to program it.
W9CW Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my FT-60R for several years, and it's worked very well and continues to do so. Not one glitch...

In reference to IW1EYZ's review, a Li-ion option is available for the FT-60R, but you have to purchase it through commercial dealers as it's a Vertex Standard LMR product. The Li-ion battery is Vertex Standard Model FNB-V67LIA (7.4V @ 2300mAh) and the Li-ion rapid desktop charger is a Vertex Standard Model CD-16, also known as VAC-810. This charger is specifically designed to charge the FNB-V67LIA battery pack. The Li-ion battery pack with the FT-60R makes all the difference in the world in its operation.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend the FT-60R due to its performance and great long-term reliability.
IW1EYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 05:43 Send this review to a friend
One of the best HT's!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi folks!
I had this radio for about an year, then I replaced it with a YAESU FT1D to try C4FM, but I think I will repurchase it soon!
I tested some HT radios, like Kenwood TH-F7, YAESU FT1D, YAESU VX-6, YAESU VX-7 on mountains near lots of TV and FM broadcast transmitters. Even with original antenna, all receivers entered into saturation due to strong RF fields, both in VHF and UHF bands; I was not able to make QSOs, even with the attenuator added. Well, FT-60 was the only radio that I was able to use in this critical RF condition.
RX BF audio is great, loud and clear. TX modulation is excellent and realistic, not like Chinese HT.

Low cost (about 120 Ä in Italy)
Rugged Die-cast, Water-resistant Case Construction (IP-54)
Over 1000 Alpha-numeric Labels Memories
Great receiver, selectivity and sensibility
Excellent BF audio. Clear, loud, with wide frequency response speaker
Excellent and realistic TX audio!
Real S-meter and low-battery indicator
Analog Volume and Squelch control
Strong belt clip
External DC power supply (6-16V)
Easy to use and program (Via PC you can use CHIRP Software)
With "FBA-25A Dry Cell Battery Case" accessory, you can use 6 AAA NI-MH batteries with 4/5 Watt power out: this can be useful in case of emergency!

Compared to other much more expensive and new radios, FT-60 has these little flaws:

No Litio battery-pack included.
No charge level indicator: you can not see battery-pack charge level while it is re-charging... I think you must remember to unplug the battery charger after 10h (using FNB-83)
No 6.25 kHz step for PMR
Single Receiver (this is not a problem for me!)
Weigh: 370 g... This depends of NI-MH battery pack...

I purchase two litio battery packs (about 2000/2200 mAh) on Ebay, and I never be able to use them because you can not recharge with YAESU original charger. So, don't buy it!
Buy FBA-25A Dry Cell Battery Case and AAA Panasonic or Sanyo Eneelop Batteries to increase usage hours.
I never use original antenna. I use a Diamond SRH-775 hi-gain antenna! Try and enjoy it!

YAESU FT-60 is a no-frills radio, but a serious and well-made HT. One of the best I have had! Do not let it get away!
Well done, YAESU!!! :-)
VE4CHT Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Only thing better than an FT-60 is two FT-60s!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first radio when I became licensed almost 5 years ago. I spent a lot of time researching features and whatnot and it was the old school squelch dial that clinched the deal for me. I didn't like the idea of having to push buttons to adjust the squelch. I very much looked at it as a starter radio, and figured that I'd buy something better down-the-road...but I fell in love with this little guy!

Fast forward, and for whatever reason, the mic stopped working. It still works with a speaker mic attached, but the internal mic wouldn't work. So, I bought another FT-60, and now I have two, one fully operational, and the other a decent, viable spare.

It's so worth the money! In Canada, it's just over $200 and name brand accessories can be purchased from Chinese Ebay retailers for a fraction of the price that North American retailers charge, like batteries delivered for 20 bucks.

Whether you're just starting out or a seasoned elmer, this is a fantastic little radio.
KC9SXB Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 19:05 Send this review to a friend
The knockout punch  Time owned: more than 12 months
Light, small, ready to use. Probably the most useable HT I've ever owned. Can't complain about nothing. Tried different antennas to boost performance just for fun, but the stock antenna ended up being the best choice for the rig.
N3TU Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio since 2004 and it is a great little radio. No complaints and love the wide receive. It is easy to open up for MARS. I must also add this. Don't over charge the HT or the battery will be toast. I left it on the charger by accident for three days and it read 7.2 volts on the receive but the transmit was toast. I had to get another battery.
AB8XA Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 03:22 Send this review to a friend
A Proven Winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife won this radio about five years ago. I supported it for her ever since and I came to love it a lot. Itís well built in Japan and rugged. The interface is simple and intuitive. It has battery-saving features that stretch the battery life beyond a long day. It can transmit at a full 5W with six easy to find AA alkaline batteries and many owners use eneloop NiMH batteries in the optional tray. Its 1,000 alpha-nameable memories are more than weíll ever use and its so quick and easy to add to one, Iíve never forgot how or had to use a computer to program it. Iíve gotten to the point I canít read the button labels on my Icom 91AD and am tired of needing an oven mitt to use it (I also won it and donít D-Star). Iíve looked at all the new, fancy/complicated HTs out there and realized what I NEED is an FT-60R. So I just bought one (and a AA tray and clone cable) for me. There's a reason it's still in production since 2004 and for its 4.6 stars out of 319 review here.
RADI0HEAD Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2016 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very easy to program. Great TX/RX audio. I have three batteries that I rotate on a Yaesu VAC-370 rapid charger(1.5 hour).
KC7SBQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2016 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Good radio,bad charger  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love my FT-60R. The radio is easy to program, the manual almost makes sense and the radio sounds good. I wish Yaesu would do something about the charger. It is an idiotic cradle design.