Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 312 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Durable, all purpose HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine eight years now with never a problem, even though I give it a fair amount of rough treatment. I've never noticed any particular sensitivity to interference, although I doubt there's an HT made for the amateur market that won't get a squawk under some circumstances. I program mine with software most of the time, but manual programming isn't really very difficult.

This radio has been in Yaseu's lineup for almost a decade now. There's a reason for that.

N8KIM Rating: 3/5 Aug 11, 2015 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Not good for intercity work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased it from Universal radio, that was my first mistake. I wanted the wideband receive so I could hear my buddies 900 megahertz repeater. But the radio will not allow reception in that area of the band! The worst part was the fact that the radio was constantly buzzing and burping from front end overload intermod. I had to have the squelch on all the way to keep the noise out. Granted I work in the city of Detroit where there is plenty of RF around. I returned the radio to Universal radio in exchange for the Alinco DJ 500t. Still waiting for that to arrive. So seems like a great radio too bad it wouldn't work in the city.

N7XLR Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2015 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using an ancient Kenwood TH-215 as my primary radio for over 25 years, and it finally died. I bought this as a replacement. Even 25 years later, it cost less than half what the Kenwood did, and is about 1/3 the size. Plus it is a dual band, the Kenwood was 2 meter only. I have only had it for a week or so, but have used it as a portable (with the stock antenna),as a mobile with a Diamond mag mount antenna, and at home with a homebrew J pole. It outperforms the Kenwood in every way. It does lack a lot of features newer radios have, but I consider that a good thing. I like simple. If there is one thing that bothers me about it, it is that it can't be used while being charged, but that is not really a big deal. I got mine on sale at HRO for $139. Very hard to beat a deal like that for a quality name brand radio

W6USC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2015 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Built like a radio should be  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased from HRO.Easy to program with or without programing software. Switched from stock rubber duck to Comet extended whip. Great TX/RX. Recommend this radio radio for both newbies and experienced hams.

KC9OSX Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2015 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for 6 years and I have to say, this radio is a beast! Most radios would have went belly up by now, but this thing just keeps going strong. I've dropped it, sat on it, used it in the rain, and even left it on the dash of my car on a blazing 100 degree day, to the point I couldn't touch it with bare hands. The display even turned black, and looked like someone poured used motor oil on it. After letting it cool slowly in the shade, it went back to normal and worked just fine.
I lost my charger 2 years ago, and it was sitting all that time with a dead battery. I picked up a new charger last weekend, and it took a charge just fine. I have been listening to it at work 12 hours/day for 2 days, with the occasional qso and it still isn't showing signs of a low battery. (I've always charged it for 10 hours and only after it was indicating low battery, which must have kept it in good shape)
The only 2 downfalls to this radio I can think of, is the stock antenna, and the external speaker-mic jack. I think they could have done better than that. I have found, however, that the yaesu MH-34 speaker-mic plug fits the best, and doesn't work it's way out as easily as the other aftermarket brands tend to do.
If you're looking for an inexpensive, durable, good sounding HT, don't hesitate to pick up an FT-60r

G4JJP Rating: 3/5 Apr 25, 2015 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Does what it claims, but not brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Returning to the hobby after a break, and read the reviews on hand helds, which led me to buy an FT-60R. Yes, it's good. But it's not as brilliant as the reviews suggest.

Pro: Sustains battery charge well. Does all the things it should for both 2m and 70cm. Wideband receiver. Massive memory bank.

Cons: The stock antenna isn't good, which limits the reach. Adding a different one is awkward because of the use of an SMA connector, whilst most of the alternatives us BNC, so an adpator is a MUST. And a proper adaptor, not one of those cheapies which will break the rig. Whilst having thousands of memory channels is good, programming them individually will take a life-time. So I'm investigating software programming. And there are too many gimmicks for my simple brain. Do I need WIRES? Or Paging?

Having said that, it does what it says on the tin. Maybe I should have stuck with the FT270E, which although only 2M, is cheaper, fully waterproof, and has fewer gimmicks.

KC3EOI Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2015 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Happy owner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
New tech license in past few months. Through web search and recommendations from the VE at my test, this radio kept coming to the top of my list. I thought about going cheap, but I wanted a radio with quality, durability, and ease of use. Swift order and deliver to my door from HRO. Fair price, shipping free, too. Programed two local repeaters using keypad alone. Audio is very good. Hits repeaters easily with stock "ducky" even at low power. More than bare bones basic, but not overwhelming. Find many other ft60r owners who can help if needed. No regrets.

KD0WDP Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned one, and gave it away to a friend who just got their license, and am ordering another one tomorrow from HRO. I love the durability of this radio, and the ease of programming it. My first one was completely programmed out of the box in less than 15 minutes with both Lincoln and Omaha repeaters and club repeaters programmed. It has the capability for narrowband monitoring which is great for my local law enforcement. I also monitor the local emergency management. I am plugged into them easily and can hit both Omaha and Lincoln from my home 40 miles away with this radio with just the factory antenna.

AG6QR Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer, no frills  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned mine for over two years. It's a solid performer, good for FM simplex and repeater work. I also use it for APRS, with the addition of an external Byonics TinyTrak module.

It has solid construction. It's easy to program without (or with) a computer. It puts out 5 watts using alkaline AA cells, if you get the optional AA holder. Of course it comes with the standard rechargeable battery, as well. It has good battery life. It has a genuine analog squelch knob. It can run well off a 12V supply for mobile use. Its belt clip is big and strong. It has reasonably wide band receive, including weather band and air band (but no AM/FM broadcast or HF). It's a good value.

Cons:
That stupid Internet WIRES button can cause it to beep on each transmission -- learn how to turn that off! (press the '0' button until the atomic helium icon vanishes from the LCD). If you're an air band fan, know that this radio has a poor AGC on AM Air band, which makes it difficult to use for listening to aircraft. It's small, but not as small and light as some modern radios.

Many people in my club have them, and many of us use them for public service events and general use. Many of us have recommended them to new hams.

NN6B Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Solid HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a Dual Band HT as a replacement for my old Alinco DJ-596T MKII Dual band HT. The Alinco still works after 10 years but I was in need of an upgrade and will donate the Alinco to a local club.

You cannot go wrong for $150 at Ham Radio Outlet. Many people have this radio because the radio is a proven winner. I love the desktop charger which charges in about 4 hours after your battery is drained. I purchased the Diamond BNCJ-SMAP adapter for SMA to BNC as I already own two great HT antennas that have BNC connectors, the Diamond RH77CA and the Pryme AL-800 for emergencies. I have no problem hitting repeaters from 1/2 watt - 5 watts at home.

I really like the size of the radio and I can use the radio typically for 4 days on the 1400 mah battery. The HT has a transmit and receive battery saver feature which is great. If the transmit battery saver feature is on, the HT will kick down power if you are close to a local repeater.

I will occasionally use it at home, in the car, hiking, biking and skiing as the cell phone does not work everywhere.