Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 304 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

AG6QR Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer, no frills  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned mine for over two years. It's a solid performer, good for FM simplex and repeater work. I also use it for APRS, with the addition of an external Byonics TinyTrak module.

It has solid construction. It's easy to program without (or with) a computer. It puts out 5 watts using alkaline AA cells, if you get the optional AA holder. Of course it comes with the standard rechargeable battery, as well. It has good battery life. It has a genuine analog squelch knob. It can run well off a 12V supply for mobile use. Its belt clip is big and strong. It has reasonably wide band receive, including weather band and air band (but no AM/FM broadcast or HF). It's a good value.

Cons:
That stupid Internet WIRES button can cause it to beep on each transmission -- learn how to turn that off! (press the '0' button until the atomic helium icon vanishes from the LCD). If you're an air band fan, know that this radio has a poor AGC on AM Air band, which makes it difficult to use for listening to aircraft. It's small, but not as small and light as some modern radios.

Many people in my club have them, and many of us use them for public service events and general use. Many of us have recommended them to new hams.

NN6B Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Solid HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a Dual Band HT as a replacement for my old Alinco DJ-596T MKII Dual band HT. The Alinco still works after 10 years but I was in need of an upgrade and will donate the Alinco to a local club.

You cannot go wrong for $150 at Ham Radio Outlet. Many people have this radio because the radio is a proven winner. I love the desktop charger which charges in about 4 hours after your battery is drained. I purchased the Diamond BNCJ-SMAP adapter for SMA to BNC as I already own two great HT antennas that have BNC connectors, the Diamond RH77CA and the Pryme AL-800 for emergencies. I have no problem hitting repeaters from 1/2 watt - 5 watts at home.

I really like the size of the radio and I can use the radio typically for 4 days on the 1400 mah battery. The HT has a transmit and receive battery saver feature which is great. If the transmit battery saver feature is on, the HT will kick down power if you are close to a local repeater.

I will occasionally use it at home, in the car, hiking, biking and skiing as the cell phone does not work everywhere.

KJ6WNS Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2014 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great basic dual band HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a very basic dual-band HT. I bought a $40 Chinese knockoff two years ago just to see if I would like having an HT. I found I didn't want or need any extra features like a flashlight, alarm, dual-watch, or any of a number of goofy features found on the Chinese knockoffs. I also found I NEEDED features like a real S-meter and low-battery indicator. The FT-60R is that radio.
Pros:
Excellent receive audio. Clear, loud, and the speaker has a wider frequency response.
Excellent transmit audio. The FT-60Rs Iíve heard on the air sound great, and I have had no complaints on my transmit audio. This is where a real S-meter comes in. If I donít see many S-units on the repeater output, I know I wonít be able to reach it very well, so I donít try. No sense generating harmful interference.
Intuitive, simple, in-the-field-capable programming. It takes no time at all to program repeaters and simplex channels into memory. Everyone complains about the cheap Chinese knockoffs being hard to program, but really, theyíre not hard. Only tedious. Come on, weíre hams. We had to pass a test to do this. The FT-60R puts them to shame. The ability to enter a repeater without having to separately enter transmit and receive frequencies makes it quick. As with my FT1900R, labeling channels with alphanumeric characters can be done without software. Not so with my Chinese knockoff. For me, thatís a big advantage. I donít want to be tethered to a computer to program my radio. Iím also too cheap to rationalize buying programming cables.
Battery life. I went four days with the radio in the car, both monitoring and transmitting.
Value. Youíre not going to find another radio this good for what you pay, especially if you stay with the big names. And considering that Alinco is now relabeling brands like Anytone and Cre , I would hesitate to even consider them.
Cons:
Accessories are expensive. But Iím sure theyíre expensive for any of the big names. Iím sure I could get some mighty fine junk knockoffs, but I bought my last mighty fine junk products a long time ago.
Charging process. I have to babysit this radio on the charger. Leave it on the charger all the time and risk battery life reduction.
The paint on the back of the radio. Itís delicate, and it is the single reason I am rating this radio a 4 instead of a 5. I baby my ham gear. Yaesu products are not cheap, either in construction or price, nor are any quality amateur radio products. I donít want them to fail because I abused them, and I want them to look good. Iíve already had to touch up two dings, done with what I can only assume is my wedding ring.
Wrapup:
I bought this radio for two reasons. Features it has, and useless ďfeaturesĒ it doesnít have. Iím happy with it. I run it mobile with a Diamond MR77 antenna, and when I'm out walking with just the stock antenna. I highly recommend this setup. Fix the paint, Yaesu.

G1ZJQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Highly successful model  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still in production since 2004 - that is more telling than any review.

I use the FT60E for SOTA, usually connecting a dipole on a fishing pole for better DX. Around the doors, the stock whip often gets replaced with a longer whip but the slight improvement can be offset by a poke in the eye!

The radio is very easy to use for simplex contacts, which is mostly what I do. I have entered a few repeaters into memory: manual storing was straightforward but deleting them required another read of the instructions as I just seemed to be duplicating the same channel and filling the memory up.

The FT60 feels substantial in the hand but this is mainly due to the mass of the NiMH battery pack. The standard 1300mAh pack lasts quite well. I can hammer at it for a good couple of hours from a hilltop on full power in rag-chew mode without needing the spare pack (really should drop to mid/low power but forget). At home, monitoring the bands for 8hrs per day with the battery save feature selected, a single charge can last almost a week. This compares very well with a recelled FT203 which has no bell/whistle and depletes its 1100mAh battery in one shift because the squelch is rudimentary.

Battery charging/discharging:-
I bought the radio in 2008 with a spare pack. After a couple of years, I got the rapid charger. Don't do it! This gets expensive because it is overpriced and the original pack soon died. Stick with the wall-wart and don't overcharge the packs - you could stick it on a timer to help. Also, once the displayed battery voltage drops below 7.2v, stop further use immediately and swap packs (full charge seems to read 8.6v - 8.9v, rapidly dropping to about 7.6v in use). My 3rd pack is on its way out so I will recell one and also try the dry cell case option.

Accessories are expensive and the amount of use I get from them has not justified their cost. The speaker mic could be a nice touch in some situations but the connector is poor - if it pulls out a fraction of a millimetre, the PTT keys up. Wrap a strong rubber band around the radio to hold it in (doesn't look so good). The price of the VOX headset is eye-watering but a bargain online auction helped...again, the bare radio is normally all I use.

Of all the radios I've owned, this one gets the most use and gives the most pleasure. I have talked to a few people who have 2 of them in the shack, now I've joined them. The only improvement I can imagine is SSB mode, just to be able to reply to anyone lost in that part of the band.

Yaesu did well with this one.

73, Derek
G1ZJQ/P

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
like a Timex  Time owned: more than 12 months
It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I don't know how long I have had this -- a long time, maybe 10 years now -- and it keeps playing. I've dropped it on pavement several times, and it shows the scars from that, but it keeps working. The radio feels solid in your hand, has a reasonable belt clip, and the audio is pretty loud as amateur HTs go.

I bought the 6 AA "battery pack" for it, and installed 6 Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries.

If you look inside the radio, you will see terminal that is designed to provide charging current to the OEM packs -- just peel the bottom 1/2" of plastic off the negative side of the bottom cell in the AA pack, and you can charge your re-chargable AA batteries in the radio with the factory charger. No more disposable battery packs!

The 6 1850 MaH NiMH cells last a long, long time between charges.

The FT-60R is not inexpensive like some more modern Chinese radios, but it is not cheap like them either. This is a quality handheld that should last a long time.

The FT-60R is an amazing value at the current street price of $149. It can be programmed with the free "Chirp" open-source software and a cheap cable from Ebay.

I would recommend the FT-60R to anybody looking for a serious dual-band HT.

KI4OYV Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine since '06 with no problems. Easy to program with or without programing software. Switched from stock rubber duck to MFJ extended whip. Great TX/RX. Recommend this radio radio for both newbies and experienced hams.

VA3LIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent First Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got FT 60 R after reading reviews from eham and I am a Happy Camper.
Its a great 2 Meter and a 70 CM radio. I live in Brampton some 40 KM North of CN Tower repeater in Toronto and people are constantly amazed when I tell them that I am on FT 60 R. The transmit quality is so good on this one. (Of Course I have a after market Comet SMA 24 whip antenna).

Easy to program, lots of help available on the internet and you tube, great radio to start with and have as your trusted companion.

I would recommend it to any new HAM starting out and never be disappointed with it.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2014 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered my 2nd from an online vendor today.

Solid radio. The first radio I bought a couple of years ago and this latest will be in my office just to monitor the local repeaters and frequencies. Buy the radio from a local/US vendor and don't look back.

Ebay offers a lot of microphones/speakers and accessories for this radio. Look at the reviews and decide for yourself what makes sense. Why spend $60 on a 2m/440 that doesn't work?

KE4LAO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Buy this HT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really can't say enough about the Yaesu FT-60R. I am returning to the hobby after being absent for a few years and quite honestly didn't know where to begin to get info on which of the MANY HTs out there was highly recommended AND was within my budget of $150. I found this site and the MANY reviews of the HT extremely helpful. I've only had the radio for under two weeks but am already up and running and meeting new hams in my area. The instructions were a bit intimidating and there are so many features to the phone. However, do not be discouraged! You can learn the basics pretty easily and the rest comes with patience.

Here are the top five things I found impressive about the Yaesu FT-60R

1. The construction is solid. Pulling it out of the box and feeling the weight and solid construction of the radio gives you confidence that it's not cheaply made. It's stout!

2. It was fairly easy to program a frequency in, set the tones for a repeater, and throw yourself out there to talk to someone. I was amazed how easy it was. I have a "Cheat Sheet" that I am putting together that'll help me to quickly remember how to do this or that.

3. Don't be fooled with any reviews at how "cheap" the included rubber ducky antennae is. Not true! It's working great for me both to hit repeaters and talk simplex.

4. I've used the radio extensively since it arrived in the mail and am pleasantly surprised at how the lithium batteries are holding up. I haven't had to recharge it yet!

5. The memory capacity on this little HT is amazing!

I wish Yaesu would make a decent cover for it; to date there isn't one manufactured for this handheld radio and that's quite amazing considering that it has been a round for a while.

By the way, that's another thing ... the fact that this radio has been around for a while and they are STILL making it with really not too many changes to it's design, etc. says something. It's a money maker for Yaesu and an affordable 2 meter rig that'll keep you busy for a long time if you take care of the radio and treat it with respect.

Great job Yaesu!!

KE4LAO
Birmingham, Alabama

KF6DBZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the radio about a month ago, I use it everyday and take it everywhere, The reception is great, The rubber duck antenna works great, Nice layout and a large screen.
The only issue I have is I would like to plug in my iphone ear buds for listening but they are not compatable, I don't want to spend $30 for the earbud and lapel mike Yaesu sells but I might have to, does anybody know which or how a earbud will work plugged into the radio?