Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 301 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

G1ZJQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Highly successful model  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still in production since 2004 - that is more telling than any review.

I use the FT60E for SOTA, usually connecting a dipole on a fishing pole for better DX. Around the doors, the stock whip often gets replaced with a longer whip but the slight improvement can be offset by a poke in the eye!

The radio is very easy to use for simplex contacts, which is mostly what I do. I have entered a few repeaters into memory: manual storing was straightforward but deleting them required another read of the instructions as I just seemed to be duplicating the same channel and filling the memory up.

The FT60 feels substantial in the hand but this is mainly due to the mass of the NiMH battery pack. The standard 1300mAh pack lasts quite well. I can hammer at it for a good couple of hours from a hilltop on full power in rag-chew mode without needing the spare pack (really should drop to mid/low power but forget). At home, monitoring the bands for 8hrs per day with the battery save feature selected, a single charge can last almost a week. This compares very well with a recelled FT203 which has no bell/whistle and depletes its 1100mAh battery in one shift because the squelch is rudimentary.

Battery charging/discharging:-
I bought the radio in 2008 with a spare pack. After a couple of years, I got the rapid charger. Don't do it! This gets expensive because it is overpriced and the original pack soon died. Stick with the wall-wart and don't overcharge the packs - you could stick it on a timer to help. Also, once the displayed battery voltage drops below 7.2v, stop further use immediately and swap packs (full charge seems to read 8.6v - 8.9v, rapidly dropping to about 7.6v in use). My 3rd pack is on its way out so I will recell one and also try the dry cell case option.

Accessories are expensive and the amount of use I get from them has not justified their cost. The speaker mic could be a nice touch in some situations but the connector is poor - if it pulls out a fraction of a millimetre, the PTT keys up. Wrap a strong rubber band around the radio to hold it in (doesn't look so good). The price of the VOX headset is eye-watering but a bargain online auction helped...again, the bare radio is normally all I use.

Of all the radios I've owned, this one gets the most use and gives the most pleasure. I have talked to a few people who have 2 of them in the shack, now I've joined them. The only improvement I can imagine is SSB mode, just to be able to reply to anyone lost in that part of the band.

Yaesu did well with this one.

73, Derek
G1ZJQ/P

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
like a Timex  Time owned: more than 12 months
It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I don't know how long I have had this -- a long time, maybe 10 years now -- and it keeps playing. I've dropped it on pavement several times, and it shows the scars from that, but it keeps working. The radio feels solid in your hand, has a reasonable belt clip, and the audio is pretty loud as amateur HTs go.

I bought the 6 AA "battery pack" for it, and installed 6 Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries.

If you look inside the radio, you will see terminal that is designed to provide charging current to the OEM packs -- just peel the bottom 1/2" of plastic off the negative side of the bottom cell in the AA pack, and you can charge your re-chargable AA batteries in the radio with the factory charger. No more disposable battery packs!

The 6 1850 MaH NiMH cells last a long, long time between charges.

The FT-60R is not inexpensive like some more modern Chinese radios, but it is not cheap like them either. This is a quality handheld that should last a long time.

The FT-60R is an amazing value at the current street price of $149. It can be programmed with the free "Chirp" open-source software and a cheap cable from Ebay.

I would recommend the FT-60R to anybody looking for a serious dual-band HT.

KI4OYV Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine since '06 with no problems. Easy to program with or without programing software. Switched from stock rubber duck to MFJ extended whip. Great TX/RX. Recommend this radio radio for both newbies and experienced hams.

VA3LIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent First Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got FT 60 R after reading reviews from eham and I am a Happy Camper.
Its a great 2 Meter and a 70 CM radio. I live in Brampton some 40 KM North of CN Tower repeater in Toronto and people are constantly amazed when I tell them that I am on FT 60 R. The transmit quality is so good on this one. (Of Course I have a after market Comet SMA 24 whip antenna).

Easy to program, lots of help available on the internet and you tube, great radio to start with and have as your trusted companion.

I would recommend it to any new HAM starting out and never be disappointed with it.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2014 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered my 2nd from an online vendor today.

Solid radio. The first radio I bought a couple of years ago and this latest will be in my office just to monitor the local repeaters and frequencies. Buy the radio from a local/US vendor and don't look back.

Ebay offers a lot of microphones/speakers and accessories for this radio. Look at the reviews and decide for yourself what makes sense. Why spend $60 on a 2m/440 that doesn't work?

KE4LAO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Buy this HT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really can't say enough about the Yaesu FT-60R. I am returning to the hobby after being absent for a few years and quite honestly didn't know where to begin to get info on which of the MANY HTs out there was highly recommended AND was within my budget of $150. I found this site and the MANY reviews of the HT extremely helpful. I've only had the radio for under two weeks but am already up and running and meeting new hams in my area. The instructions were a bit intimidating and there are so many features to the phone. However, do not be discouraged! You can learn the basics pretty easily and the rest comes with patience.

Here are the top five things I found impressive about the Yaesu FT-60R

1. The construction is solid. Pulling it out of the box and feeling the weight and solid construction of the radio gives you confidence that it's not cheaply made. It's stout!

2. It was fairly easy to program a frequency in, set the tones for a repeater, and throw yourself out there to talk to someone. I was amazed how easy it was. I have a "Cheat Sheet" that I am putting together that'll help me to quickly remember how to do this or that.

3. Don't be fooled with any reviews at how "cheap" the included rubber ducky antennae is. Not true! It's working great for me both to hit repeaters and talk simplex.

4. I've used the radio extensively since it arrived in the mail and am pleasantly surprised at how the lithium batteries are holding up. I haven't had to recharge it yet!

5. The memory capacity on this little HT is amazing!

I wish Yaesu would make a decent cover for it; to date there isn't one manufactured for this handheld radio and that's quite amazing considering that it has been a round for a while.

By the way, that's another thing ... the fact that this radio has been around for a while and they are STILL making it with really not too many changes to it's design, etc. says something. It's a money maker for Yaesu and an affordable 2 meter rig that'll keep you busy for a long time if you take care of the radio and treat it with respect.

Great job Yaesu!!

KE4LAO
Birmingham, Alabama

KF6DBZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the radio about a month ago, I use it everyday and take it everywhere, The reception is great, The rubber duck antenna works great, Nice layout and a large screen.
The only issue I have is I would like to plug in my iphone ear buds for listening but they are not compatable, I don't want to spend $30 for the earbud and lapel mike Yaesu sells but I might have to, does anybody know which or how a earbud will work plugged into the radio?

N1QZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 06:22 Send this review to a friend
9 years old  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bottom line is that Yaesu did it right this time. I actually got this radio in a trade about 9 years ago and had not planned to buy one as I had my well like yaesu VX-7. This is one of the made in Japan versions and not made in China like the newer ones and time will tell if that makes a difference.My first reaction to the FT- 60 was that it was simple and very radio like and not so much an over the top attempt at too much stuff in a too little package. What I mean by that is how quickly you discover the simple physical layout of the radio is what is missing with other yaesu HT's .like a real nice belt clip, a light button, a squelch knob and the power on / volume knob. These sound like basic things that you should have and when they are not present on a radio you miss them real quick. When operating in the dark it is absolutely ridiculous to have to enter a menu mode to turn the backlight on and adjust the squelch like with my VX-7. This has a convenient little button right on the side of the radio. Turn it on, turn it off without having to set it up to be always on.
On the actual usage of the radio the battery will last several days of normal use before needing a charge which again should be normal for a radio. I bought a new battery after 6-7 years which is amazing. I do a lot of hiking and hilltoping and always carry a radio with me and without a doubt the FT-60 always gets me the best results even with the original 9 year old stock antenna which is bent but still works. When I hilltop and talk to friends they know when I'm using this radio compared to my other HT's .The keypad layout is nice and simple and has the proper shortcuts on the face of the radio to quickly program in a new repeater when actively out operating. My friend John finally bought one last year and when we got back to the shack he said." Ok, let me see if I can program this thing as easily as you say " and with in minutes he was saying " wow that is easy " .
You can't beat the price of the radio and now that it is coming up on being in production for 10 years I wonder what yaesu has planned. It will get discontinued at some point and I really hope they see from the sales of this radio that it is what people like. I don't want smaller, I just want the damn thing to work !

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2013 09:42 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST HT EVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a lot of different HT's and brands and I must say that this is the best one for the money and ease to use. It's solid quality, good speaker clarity and sound, easy to use and the manual is understandable. This is a keeper and is outtstanding for the money.

WH7UP Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Gret HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For me it has been a while since I have gotten back on the air. This is my first radio since having an old Radio Shack HTX-202. I must say it is a great size, weight and looks good. Tech wise it transmits really good with the rubber duck and only a little white noise. That's probably nothing to do with the radio and just my area. I have hit the local repeater without any issues. Its scanning feature is a little slow but works well overall. Programing it is fairly easy and works best if you get the programing cable. Then its just data entry into a spreadsheet and transmit the settings to the radio. Bam your good to go. The limit of 6char tagging is my only complaint. I would like to have a bigger character base to name my freq. but it works. You can switch between the tag name and freq. very easy if you forget what you are on. All of the features compliment a well rounded radio for the beginner and experienced ham. At least that's my opinion. Defiantly a must buy.