Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 325 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

M3XPR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice ruggedized handheld  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my Yaesu FT-60 for a couple of months now and I am really pleased with it.
I picked mine up for £110 I was not looking for a handheld I saw it was on special offer when I bought my FT817 and decided to buy it.
Itís a great piece of kit and even at its full retail price of £130 I think itís a bargain.
In addition to the 5 watt on both bands it has DTMF and wideband receive including airband.
The receiver is very sensitive and even with the inbuilt rubber duck you will be supposed what you can hear. With 5 watts and the inbuilt antenna I can open my local repeaters with ease from anywhere in the house.
Itís tough and ruggedized and surprisingly heavy this is not a gripe it feels like a solid piece of PMR.
However if you are looking for something lightweight this radio may not be for you.
All in all I am very pleased with this radio.
Cheers and 73
N8MJS Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2007 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice little HT.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very pleased with this radios performance. I can hit the local repeaters with ease with the stock antenna. From indoors I can hit a repeater in the next town.(about 10 miles north) I found this radio very easy to program and very user friendly. I give it a 4 out of 5 because it would be nice to recieve the FM broadcast band like other models do.
KC9MIB Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2007 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great radio so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new HAM. Just got my ticket a few weeks ago. I purchased the FT-60 a few weeks before that, and used it for listening to get aquainted.
Although many people feel that you should not start with an HT, the FT-60 has been a great radio for me.
I wanted a dual-bander, and I wanted to be able to use it in my home or in any of the three different vehicles that I have to drive on a regular basis. So an HT made sense to me. After reading the catalogs and many online reviews I settled on the FT-60, and I'm glad that I did.
I've had many compliments about how good my radio sounds on the air. I use a magnet mount roof antenna in the car, and have no problem at all on the local repeaters.
Out of the vehicle I have used a Diamond 77 which is a wonderful antenna. It is so much better than the stock antenna it's not funny.
For use at home I put an Arrow Antennas dual-band j-pole on the roof. I mounted it using a 3 foot TV antenna tripod and a 5 foot mast. Using this antenna I have made simplex contacts nearly 10 miles away. Not bad for a 5 watt HT.
The radio is not that difficult to program, once you get the hang of it, I like the multiple memory banks so that I can program in different sets of frequencies for different parts of the country when I travel.
In summary, the FT-60 has been easy to learn, easy to use, perfomed well in the field, and I've experienced no flaws or defects with the equipment so far.
A great little radio.
N6YRS Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Yeasu FT(fun-time) 60R  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT60R ht has been a great radio for all of my uses so far. Purchased at HRO in 05'. It has not let me down, for the fact I am not the most graceful person around equipment. Programming software makes life simpler (commander) and after replacing factory dummyload antenna with a comet 503, transmit/recieve really opened up. Am able to hit uhf repeaters on low setting up to 100+ mi with good reports and only on rechargable battery.
I also have struggled with the speakermike connector, I scrapped the knob-clip that was supplied and run the cable around the back, under the belt clip, with a tywrap for a strain relief.
Have had no prob with this configuration.I can hear the audio from speaker mike more clearly than from unit itself. Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase another one. Great radio!
My hat's off to Clint for recommending this ht.
VA3TDZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2007 19:17 Send this review to a friend
A Good, Basic HT with a few Goodies  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my licence in April this year and in late May sprung for a Yaesu FT60R as a first radio. Yes, conventional wisdom says 'never buy an HT as a first radio', but economic necessity won out.

Initially I was looking at getting an Icom T7H because of its ability to take 'AA'-size batteries - the AA battery holder comes standard with the radio.

However, no dealers in Canada had the radio in stock. A couple dealers who could get the radio wanted too much money for it.

So far, I really like the radio. It's easy to use, most of the basic features become second nature (with a little practice!) Where it shines is in the quality of its transmit and receive audio. Many people I've had QSO's with have commented on the high quality of the audio.

It is fairly resistant to intermod, front-end overload and RFI, so I can use the radio in my computer room with the computer going and not have any issues.

-Yaesu menu system for access to advanced (and even basic!) features. Nothing new here, Yaesu is famous for this;

-Wimpy output audio (just 400mW). This isn't a design flaw but a result of the need to engineer in compromises to balance battery life with TX/RX power demands, and is dictated by the form factor as well.

As I have a hearing impairment and wear a hearing aid, this radio can be hard to hear when I'm using it in the car and there's lots of road noise. To resolve that issue I plan to buy a proper mobile/base unit and an external speaker.

- Tiny! buttons make programming this radio a bit of a pain - and I have small hands!

The radio would have gotten a '5' if not for the weak output audio, dependency on a menu-driven programming system and such small buttons.

Bottom line? This is a good, basic HT with a bit of a learning curve and some quirks to go with it.
Given Yaesu's overall reputation for quality, you could do far worse.
KC9KUH Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2007 13:41 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
a good beginner HT and a good value for the money
N8NKC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I compared other dual band handhelds and found that this one is the best value for the money.It is from a major comapany and I got it for $189 from AES.Other handhelds such as the Kenwood FH-6A cost $319 dollars.

It does all things well. Transmit and receive audio quality are excellent. It has 1000 memories. It is easy to program. It is just the right size; neither too small or too large. It has been reliable.

This only fault I can find is that the transmit range is somewhat limited with the stock antenna. I purchased the Comet SMA24 dual band antenna and found that repeaters were coming in at full scale instead of half scale with the regular antenna.

An any case, I would highly recommend this transceiver because of its good value and performance.
KI6FEQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2007 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up an FT-60R from a classified on this site last year. It came with the speaker/mic, AA case, and charger. Here are my takes:

- Battery life is very good - AA backup is handy
- Good sound
- Strong signal - no problem hitting distant repeaters.
- Durable - bounced around on my quad and dropped a couple of times.
- The dual-watch feature is very useful.

I downloaded the Commander software and programming is a breeze!

With the durability, sound quality, easy programming and strong signal mathced with an exceptional price, this is a great choice for an HT.
W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the Ft-60 for a couple months without any problems. Good Radio
KPAX1 Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this last year and was impressed with the performance. Did not like the original rubber duck so I purchased a Diamond RH-77 BNC. Had to get an adapter that is mounted to one of Stephen Gulyas' exceptional one-of-a-kind BGA-80 BNC to SMA adapters which fell apart in my hands. If you want the absolute worst BNC to SMA adapters check his out. They were previewed in the Nov. 2000 Issue of QST magazine and the May 2000 Issue of CQ Magazine. See:

Anyway, made my own and viola!!! Got a great working radio for a great price at Universal Radio.
Love the way it is programmed with CTSS codes. I work repeaters 60 miles away with only 5 WATT out.
This little jewel can also go to 2.5 and .5 WATTS to save the battery.
If you are looking for a great radio at a great price...Yaesu FT-60 is on top of my list.