Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 330 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

KD8FIH Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2008 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio for the money!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a new ham with very little experience - but an electronics tech with 10+ years of experience. After reading the reviews here I decided to get the FT-60R and I can't complain a bit. It hits all of the local Detroit repeaters. It runs quite a long time on a fully charged battery (mostly receiving). I've dropped it a couple times, the most recent from about 4' onto a concrete floor. It landed on the bottom corner (aluminum part). The battery pack popped off of the back but there was no damage other than a little trade of paint with the floor.

I was disappointed with the high cost of the available quick charger, and found an alternative also made by Yaesu but seemingly not available in the USA: the VAC-10.

I found one at an eBay shop in Hong Kong for about $34 delivered. It worked great until I ran the vacuum cleaner on the same outlet. I think that turning the vacuum on and off damaged the VAC-10 cradle (the 12V adapter still works). There is an 8 bit micro in there (almost certainly with embedded instructions, "OTP") who's Vdd line measures 12 ohms. It'd dead in the water after about 10 uses. Yaesu here in the us has "never heard of" these units. This is too bad because this unit really worked well.

KD7YOE Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this FT-60R a week, but it's a BIG radio (feature-wise) in a compact package. I found it very simple to input/program the frequencies. The audio is very good considering it's small size, and easily fits in a shirt pocket.
While I bought a longer after-market antenna, the standard rubber-duckie hits all 8 local repeaters, in VHF and UHF: Impressive!
If I could give it more than 5, I would.

KE5EHZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 12:14 Send this review to a friend
No Problems!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio a little over a year, and have enjoyed it immensely. The battery lasts a long time. I did upgrade the antenna to a Diamond SRH77CA which really boosted my signal. The radio is not heavy, bulky, or a nuisance in any way. It performs flawlessly every time. Plus it is easy to operate. I programmed all of my memory channels (approx. 50) by hand, and it didn't take long at all. All around great radio!!!

KD8APU Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2008 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Receive Audio Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this about a week ago. I have owned many other radios. The receive audio on this radio just does not seem right. High frequencies sound unclear compaired to other radios I own. I compaired mine to a diffrent ft-60 and they sounded about the same. So I need some help. Has any one else had this problem or is it just me or a bad speaker? I can return it.
Radios owned vx-2r,vx-150,vx-170,vx-177,ft-7800,icom v8000, icom t7h

Thanks for helping kd8apu@yahoo.com

QUINNY Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2008 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Superb.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first handie,was a Yaesu FT 50,and when I sold it,I regretted it immediately.I went on to buy different mobile radios,but always had a aching for another handie,and looked at other Yaesu models on offer,including the VX series.

I just happened to be on E.Bay one day,and a guy was selling a mint FT 60,complete with accessories,so I kept an eye on it,and eventually bid on it,and won.Boy was I delighted,but then he backed out,saying his son had dropped it,and wouldn't sell me it,but then went on to sell his '2nd' radio,and it took him 2 attempts to sell it,as I e.mailed everyone who was bidding on it,to tell them he was a scammer.Revenge was sweet.

Anyhow,a few days later,another came up,and I asked the seller how much he would take for a buy it now,and told him the story,and he agreed to sell it to me for the same price as the other one,which was £90,but this one was only 4 months old!!!!! A few days later,I was the proud owner of the radio,along with a load of accessories,and he even delivered it to my door,personally,as he was in my town for a business meeting.What service!!!

And I can honestly say,that I'm not disappointed.It's every bit as good as my old FT 50,and in my opinion,better than some of the VX series.I have no trouble hitting repeaters that are up to 30 miles away,under the right conditions,and that's on the rubber duck.It does 5w,off the battery pack,which does help,the menus are fairly straight forward once you get used to them,and because it is similar to the FT 50,I didn't even read the manual.

It's typical Yaesu,insofar as it's well built,and I expect to get many years use out of it.Mine has also been widebanded,so it's also got a use as a scanner.

Would I recommend to anyone to buy one?

Absolutely.

M3XPR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice ruggedized handheld  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my Yaesu FT-60 for a couple of months now and I am really pleased with it.
I picked mine up for £110 I was not looking for a handheld I saw it was on special offer when I bought my FT817 and decided to buy it.
Itís a great piece of kit and even at its full retail price of £130 I think itís a bargain.
In addition to the 5 watt on both bands it has DTMF and wideband receive including airband.
The receiver is very sensitive and even with the inbuilt rubber duck you will be supposed what you can hear. With 5 watts and the inbuilt antenna I can open my local repeaters with ease from anywhere in the house.
Itís tough and ruggedized and surprisingly heavy this is not a gripe it feels like a solid piece of PMR.
However if you are looking for something lightweight this radio may not be for you.
All in all I am very pleased with this radio.
Cheers and 73

N8MJS Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2007 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice little HT.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very pleased with this radios performance. I can hit the local repeaters with ease with the stock antenna. From indoors I can hit a repeater in the next town.(about 10 miles north) I found this radio very easy to program and very user friendly. I give it a 4 out of 5 because it would be nice to recieve the FM broadcast band like other models do.

KC9MIB Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2007 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great radio so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new HAM. Just got my ticket a few weeks ago. I purchased the FT-60 a few weeks before that, and used it for listening to get aquainted.
Although many people feel that you should not start with an HT, the FT-60 has been a great radio for me.
I wanted a dual-bander, and I wanted to be able to use it in my home or in any of the three different vehicles that I have to drive on a regular basis. So an HT made sense to me. After reading the catalogs and many online reviews I settled on the FT-60, and I'm glad that I did.
I've had many compliments about how good my radio sounds on the air. I use a magnet mount roof antenna in the car, and have no problem at all on the local repeaters.
Out of the vehicle I have used a Diamond 77 which is a wonderful antenna. It is so much better than the stock antenna it's not funny.
For use at home I put an Arrow Antennas dual-band j-pole on the roof. I mounted it using a 3 foot TV antenna tripod and a 5 foot mast. Using this antenna I have made simplex contacts nearly 10 miles away. Not bad for a 5 watt HT.
The radio is not that difficult to program, once you get the hang of it, I like the multiple memory banks so that I can program in different sets of frequencies for different parts of the country when I travel.
In summary, the FT-60 has been easy to learn, easy to use, perfomed well in the field, and I've experienced no flaws or defects with the equipment so far.
A great little radio.

N6YRS Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Yeasu FT(fun-time) 60R  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT60R ht has been a great radio for all of my uses so far. Purchased at HRO in 05'. It has not let me down, for the fact I am not the most graceful person around equipment. Programming software makes life simpler (commander) and after replacing factory dummyload antenna with a comet 503, transmit/recieve really opened up. Am able to hit uhf repeaters on low setting up to 100+ mi with good reports and only on rechargable battery.
I also have struggled with the speakermike connector, I scrapped the knob-clip that was supplied and run the cable around the back, under the belt clip, with a tywrap for a strain relief.
Have had no prob with this configuration.I can hear the audio from speaker mike more clearly than from unit itself. Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase another one. Great radio!
My hat's off to Clint for recommending this ht.
Thanks/73

VA3TDZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2007 19:17 Send this review to a friend
A Good, Basic HT with a few Goodies  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my licence in April this year and in late May sprung for a Yaesu FT60R as a first radio. Yes, conventional wisdom says 'never buy an HT as a first radio', but economic necessity won out.

Initially I was looking at getting an Icom T7H because of its ability to take 'AA'-size batteries - the AA battery holder comes standard with the radio.

However, no dealers in Canada had the radio in stock. A couple dealers who could get the radio wanted too much money for it.

So far, I really like the radio. It's easy to use, most of the basic features become second nature (with a little practice!) Where it shines is in the quality of its transmit and receive audio. Many people I've had QSO's with have commented on the high quality of the audio.

It is fairly resistant to intermod, front-end overload and RFI, so I can use the radio in my computer room with the computer going and not have any issues.

Dislikes:

-Yaesu menu system for access to advanced (and even basic!) features. Nothing new here, Yaesu is famous for this;

-Wimpy output audio (just 400mW). This isn't a design flaw but a result of the need to engineer in compromises to balance battery life with TX/RX power demands, and is dictated by the form factor as well.

As I have a hearing impairment and wear a hearing aid, this radio can be hard to hear when I'm using it in the car and there's lots of road noise. To resolve that issue I plan to buy a proper mobile/base unit and an external speaker.

- Tiny! buttons make programming this radio a bit of a pain - and I have small hands!

The radio would have gotten a '5' if not for the weak output audio, dependency on a menu-driven programming system and such small buttons.

Bottom line? This is a good, basic HT with a bit of a learning curve and some quirks to go with it.
Given Yaesu's overall reputation for quality, you could do far worse.