Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 307 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

KI6IHW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a Great handheld. Most people are surprised at how clear I come in to them. It recieves everything that I want to listen to and more. The batteries last a long time on medium and low power, and with a AA battery pack, It transmits a full 5W. So far the only thing that is not perfect, is the menu system and the steep learning curve. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a second one.

VE3VWX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Bought Second FT-60  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my second Ft-60 a short while ago for the girlfriend. We have used it on all sorts of adventures and it has never failed, need I say more?

In fact, I love the radio(s) so much I put together a web page about it and how I use it for Adventure - Sport communication.

ENJOY!

73'
Tom

PS: I invested in my first FT-60 after it was suggested by a number of individuals in the forum to me. Thanks again guys and girls!

VA1CYR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2007 08:03 Send this review to a friend
I love this Handheld  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this handheld for well over 8 months and have been using it daily for 4 months now on both 70cm & 2m.

Having a copy of the manual nearby is recommended, you simply forget how to certain things (all the various ways of scanning).

Using the programming cable & software was easy, but not without some issues. But once it got working, having all those freqs setup, I even store in simplex freqs, no fuss.

Battery life is good, depending on the tx power I need, I can use it for a couple of days.

I never bothered taking the stock antenna out of the package. I swap between a diamond rh-519, comet sma-24 & the mag mount often. I have a SMA to BNC adapter that is always on the handheld so that i can quick release the antennas.

I use it mostly when walking, hiking or short drives. I use the MH34 speaker mic and do not have an issue with the rubber flap. You can twist the flap 90 degrees and i don't get the popping out issue or plugging in both mic & power at the same time. The speaker mic also came with a loop that goes above the channel knob. This secures the mic cable. I dropped the radio at home one night and the loop broke off, after some crazy glue it's back on. I tried it without the loop and can see why others have complained about it.

KB9TMP Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2007 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Good but not Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far I have owned two of these radios and maybe soon a third. The first one I had just a week. I traded it to an older ham (now SK) who was not able to afford a new HT. I ended up finding one on Feebay and bought it used. It already had the Mars/Cap mod done before I got it, so I can't say how much out of band usage it has had. After 2 years of my use (daily 16+ hours) the battery life started dropping off. Then the finals went. It still TXs, but on high power can only be heard 3 to 4 city blocks. I've had all the other 'minor' problems that have been described here. (speaker mic coming part way unplugged, funny look to display in outside light, locking up/shut down when using bank scanning, and not able to computer program without using the upload/download trick) Those problems I consider to be just quirks of the radio.

Now I'm looking for a new HT and keep coming back to the FT-60 as the best bang for the buck. Plus I already have the drop in charger waiting on the desk. Maybe I can offset the price of a new one by selling the old one for parts on Feebay where it came from! :)

73 de KB9TMP

KC9KTI Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Can't Complain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice little unit. Works well from my home to repeaters 20-30 miles away even on 2.5 watts.

Great audio both ways, battery life is pretty good as can be expected.

Transmits and receives well in vehicle.

Will update as I use unit more.

Matt - KC9KTI

KI6FGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great little HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Out of the different handhelds I have, this is probably my favorite! It's intuitive (to me that is) and works very well. Even the stock rubber ducky works well. Receive audio is good and I havenít had any complaints on my transmit audio with it.

This radio just feels right in my hand. I have a VX-7 and I use Motorola public service radios and there is something about the FT-60Rónot too big, not too small. Yaesu really got it right with this radio.

My favorite feature on this radio is the ability to have a full 5 watts with the AA battery pack. Having a full 5 watts on AA power is perfect for backcountry use and ARES/ACS work. I donít have to worry about having power for a charger. All my backcountry gear: GPS, headlamp, etc. use AAs. When working with ARES/ACS, there are always a slew of AA batteries around. I don't know of any other current handheld that does this (some of the older Alincos, like the DJ-180/280/480, were close).

I use the free FT-60 Commander software to program. The software isnít perfect (vers 1.0.0), but it works great! I wish most 1.0.0 software worked this well. I create an Excel spreadsheet to manage all my frequencies and then edit for the specific radio and export to CSV format for import by FT-60 Commander.

The only improvement would be a locking jack for the external speaker/mic. Most people solve that problem with a rubber band or a piece of duct tape (I know, a little tacky)óno pun intended.

Itís a great radio.

2E1EMK Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2006 15:26 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned this radio nearly 2 yrs found it easy to use appears to work well no problems to report. Wide recieve is good.
Rugged well constructed, battery lasts well the original aerial can be improved on, and has been! lots of extras and options available cheaply from the far east on a well known auction site. Taken it all over the place with me been very happy with it may not have the bells and whistles of others but has given me many hours of enjoyment.
73 de James

KE4ICS Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2006 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Durable, easy to use, and nice price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this radio for about a year, and love it. My XYL and I both use this radio, and both find it simple to use. I bought it due to price, to be able to have a dual band without costing me an arm and a leg. Not long after I bought it, I fell coming down from a ladder (ouch) and my radio bounced waist high across the concrete floor. It worked just fine, only a minor scratch in the display case. I've gotten good audio/signal reports and it sounds good too.

My only complaint is very minor. If you are using a external hand mic (one with a 90 degree turn at the plug) when it turns down, the rubber cover causes it to pull out just enough to transmit all the time. But using a mic with a straight plug or removing the cover will remedy that. Not major enough to cost it any points on rating.

KC9JVT Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2006 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a FT-60R about a month ago and thus far think it's great. The battery lasts quite a long time between charges and does well hitting the local repeaters on my daily commute wiht an external antenna in my mobile. Everyone seems to like the audio quality and when monitoring myself on my base rig I can attest that is sounds good.

Programming is easy and the function labeling mimics my 857D which helps alot! Learning curve is not bad at all. I DO suspect I will need a different antenna but i have yet to realy get it outside and try to get it to work hard so I'll keep my mouth shut :)

I only have 2 complaints which ALMOST made me give it a 4/5 and one is not even with the radio itself.

The first is the battery charging. You can't shut off the internal charging when on mobile power. This means you have to remove or use the battery for mobile use to avoid over charging and damaging the cells. This is all cool BUT that battery is really on there!!! The clasp that holds it in does a wonderful job :) So Kudos for making a battery that doesn't pop off! Shame for not letting me shut off the charging when running on 12V.

The other complaint is with the MH34 mic. The cable is too darn short! Even with it clipped on my belt I find the cable stress and pulling force to be too great. If in a mobile situation forget about putting the FT60R on the console and using the mic, it needs to be placed in your pocket to work well. I now have 3 cables coming out of my pocket! I'm thinking of devising an extension of sorts!

But again a great radio with good audio for a wonderful price!

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Common Sense Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since it was first introduced. No problems to date. An emergency managment consultant spoke at one of our club meetings after working a Tornado disaster in Oklahoma, and said in a real disaster, you dont have time to worry about recharging battery packs. Its best to have an HT that gets full power off of AA alkaline batteries & carry a pocket full with you. That's what sold me on the FT60. It's 6 AA accessory battery case gives you full power. My THF6A only gives 500mw on it's AA battery case. I can recommend this rig to anyone. 73.