Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 320 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

KC9KUH Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2007 13:41 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
a good beginner HT and a good value for the money

N8NKC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I compared other dual band handhelds and found that this one is the best value for the money.It is from a major comapany and I got it for $189 from AES.Other handhelds such as the Kenwood FH-6A cost $319 dollars.

It does all things well. Transmit and receive audio quality are excellent. It has 1000 memories. It is easy to program. It is just the right size; neither too small or too large. It has been reliable.

This only fault I can find is that the transmit range is somewhat limited with the stock antenna. I purchased the Comet SMA24 dual band antenna and found that repeaters were coming in at full scale instead of half scale with the regular antenna.

An any case, I would highly recommend this transceiver because of its good value and performance.

KI6FEQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2007 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up an FT-60R from a classified on this site last year. It came with the speaker/mic, AA case, and charger. Here are my takes:

- Battery life is very good - AA backup is handy
- Good sound
- Strong signal - no problem hitting distant repeaters.
- Durable - bounced around on my quad and dropped a couple of times.
- The dual-watch feature is very useful.

I downloaded the Commander software and programming is a breeze!

With the durability, sound quality, easy programming and strong signal mathced with an exceptional price, this is a great choice for an HT.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the Ft-60 for a couple months without any problems. Good Radio

KPAX1 Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this last year and was impressed with the performance. Did not like the original rubber duck so I purchased a Diamond RH-77 BNC. Had to get an adapter that is mounted to one of Stephen Gulyas' exceptional one-of-a-kind BGA-80 BNC to SMA adapters which fell apart in my hands. If you want the absolute worst BNC to SMA adapters check his out. They were previewed in the Nov. 2000 Issue of QST magazine and the May 2000 Issue of CQ Magazine. See: http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/index.html

Anyway, made my own and viola!!! Got a great working radio for a great price at Universal Radio.
Love the way it is programmed with CTSS codes. I work repeaters 60 miles away with only 5 WATT out.
This little jewel can also go to 2.5 and .5 WATTS to save the battery.
If you are looking for a great radio at a great price...Yaesu FT-60 is on top of my list.

K8LEA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2007 16:44 Send this review to a friend
About 18 months and still working.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in February 2006. Happy camper then. (There's a review here someplace.) Happy camper now....

The silly mic connector is still silly, and I've seen the "polarization" effect. NBD....

The "puff" is still a nuisance when using "dual watch."

About the most significant problem is that somehow the fool thing will decide to respond to some keypresses while ostensibly locked and I'm wearing the thing. I'm guessing that somehow the [F] key and the [6] are getting pressed (I'm about 6'1" and 'round 300#). Then anything can happen.... Another zinger is that the "extra" dual-watch channel becomes "foreground" if you transmit while that channel is active. Would be great but if you bump something you're no longer in dual watch....

Meantime I was able to fix the old VX-150.... Just don't tell my wife....

Regards,

Stu K8LEA

KG9EQ Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2007 14:26 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a replacement for my dead VX-150 (fried finals), and also needed a dual-bander for various operations locally. I settled upon the FT-60R as a suitable replacement, as it accepts all the accessories that the 150 uses. `I have been happy with the radios performance so far, and will give a further review down the road.

W4BGN Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2007 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Radio....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to operate and has a manual squelch knob... Good job Yaesu!!!

Paid 175.00 for it new, prices going up, but still the best dual bander out there.

KF6IIU Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2007 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Basic standard HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a bad radio, but I would shop around before getting another. My chief complaint is the audio is slightly muffled, whether on speaker or headset. I compare to my Icom T2H which has much clearer audio. I dropped the radio once from waist height to concrete street and it landed wrong and had to be sent in for repairs. It has since survived a couple more drops to non-concrete surfaces OK. This is my take-everywhere HT. It will run all day on a charge (with receive saver, squelched, not scanning or transmitting too much); I have never had it lose power at a special event. I think the radio is *light and small* for a 5W HT with a decent amount of battery power.

I also would prefer the mic and speaker cables come out of the top, rather than the side of the radio.

That being said, I'm happy with it - our local RACES community has more FT-60's than any other type of radio, and that's useful since you can clone and give configuration advice to other hams at the event. Having AA power as a backup is essential for me too.

Some of the features are just plain silly, like ARTS and the "emergency beacon stuff", and the scanning bank features are hard to program in the field, but basic operation - programming repeater tones, storing memories, etc - is extremely simple.

It is a good beginner HT, popular, and a good value for the money, but I wish it had clearer audio.

KC9IFW Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2007 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going to wait several months before submitting my very basic/non-technical review of this radio. However, I decided to move forward, because I like the FT-60R so much.

I was looking for a backup HT to go along with my VX-7R. I have found the right one for me. The eham.net reviews were very helpful in my decision making process. In fact, they were the main reason for the final purchase.

Let's cut to the chase:

Radio's price is right. $179.95. It landed at my door the next day. Total $187.56.
Radio is packed correctly with quality at the factory and arrived in factory new condition.
Radio charges as expected overnight.
Radio programs easily with manual close by (for now).
Radio hits repeaters on all sides of Indy.

Signal and audio quality reports are very, very good.
Radio has excellent recieve capability and audio for 2M/440. I am not scanning with it.

All the above with stock antenna.

Battery has been holding up like a champ. I have been using the radio off and on for 4 days now. This is average for me. The battery is much bigger than what I am used to with the VX-7R.

Radio's size and weight are prefect for my big hands. Most pictures of the radio make it hard to determine actual size. It is bigger than most photos show.

And finally:

In my opinion this radio will meet the needs of both expert and novice HAMs that want a simple to use 2M/70CM HT that is built and performs with quality. It is not "fully featured," but that is what my VX-7R is for.

Yaesu has hit this one out of the park! Enjoy!

73 to all!