Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 312 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

KF6IIU Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2007 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Basic standard HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a bad radio, but I would shop around before getting another. My chief complaint is the audio is slightly muffled, whether on speaker or headset. I compare to my Icom T2H which has much clearer audio. I dropped the radio once from waist height to concrete street and it landed wrong and had to be sent in for repairs. It has since survived a couple more drops to non-concrete surfaces OK. This is my take-everywhere HT. It will run all day on a charge (with receive saver, squelched, not scanning or transmitting too much); I have never had it lose power at a special event. I think the radio is *light and small* for a 5W HT with a decent amount of battery power.

I also would prefer the mic and speaker cables come out of the top, rather than the side of the radio.

That being said, I'm happy with it - our local RACES community has more FT-60's than any other type of radio, and that's useful since you can clone and give configuration advice to other hams at the event. Having AA power as a backup is essential for me too.

Some of the features are just plain silly, like ARTS and the "emergency beacon stuff", and the scanning bank features are hard to program in the field, but basic operation - programming repeater tones, storing memories, etc - is extremely simple.

It is a good beginner HT, popular, and a good value for the money, but I wish it had clearer audio.

KC9IFW Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2007 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going to wait several months before submitting my very basic/non-technical review of this radio. However, I decided to move forward, because I like the FT-60R so much.

I was looking for a backup HT to go along with my VX-7R. I have found the right one for me. The eham.net reviews were very helpful in my decision making process. In fact, they were the main reason for the final purchase.

Let's cut to the chase:

Radio's price is right. $179.95. It landed at my door the next day. Total $187.56.
Radio is packed correctly with quality at the factory and arrived in factory new condition.
Radio charges as expected overnight.
Radio programs easily with manual close by (for now).
Radio hits repeaters on all sides of Indy.

Signal and audio quality reports are very, very good.
Radio has excellent recieve capability and audio for 2M/440. I am not scanning with it.

All the above with stock antenna.

Battery has been holding up like a champ. I have been using the radio off and on for 4 days now. This is average for me. The battery is much bigger than what I am used to with the VX-7R.

Radio's size and weight are prefect for my big hands. Most pictures of the radio make it hard to determine actual size. It is bigger than most photos show.

And finally:

In my opinion this radio will meet the needs of both expert and novice HAMs that want a simple to use 2M/70CM HT that is built and performs with quality. It is not "fully featured," but that is what my VX-7R is for.

Yaesu has hit this one out of the park! Enjoy!

73 to all!

KF6UZX Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2007 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Great with a but.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio to replace my two W32As that were stolen. I wanted a dual band that is current production and has high power on AA batteries. Also not being an amp hog was a nice idea. The radio is great and very easy for me to program. BUT the speaker mike if not secured to the antenna can come out if the radio is worn on the right side. This led to the plug coming out less then an 1/8" and that made the radio transmit. I noticed it when the radio became hot thru my pants at a event. Aside from having to bring a rubber band for security this is a great radio

K4GOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2007 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Newbie Friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little transceiver appears to have a metal case. It feels like it is built to last. It is fairly easy to program but some of the abbreviations they use in the menus can be a bit confusing. The buttons are a bit small but I really don't see how the could be bigger with the diminutive size of the radio. One thing that could be improved is the arrangement of the volume/power knob and the squelch ring. They are a bit difficult for us fat fingered fellows. It is very easy to add repeaters to the 1000 available memory channels. You can divide these channels into banks and scan only the chosen bank(s) or the whole memory list. Most commonly accessed functions do not require going into menus which is a big plus for me. You can also assign alpha tags to memory channels so that you know which repeater you are hitting without having to memorize the frequencies and tones.

The radio has pretty big ears even with the included rubber duckie. I can't wait to get a real antenna hooked to this thing. Others report that my signal is very clean on the local repeaters. I usually only run 1/2 watt.

I do not regret this purchase. I am sometimes prone to buyer's remorse but I did my research here on Eham and I guess my review mirrors those that I read here when I decided on this radio.

KC7FAA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, rugged and Has a Good Feel  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this radio as a gift and have found that it surpassed my expectations. The radio is rugged, has a nice feel in the hand, and good audio output (ears aren't what they used to be). At first the menu system was a bit hard to learn (so I kept a manual nearby) but after use the menu now comes second nature. Would definitely recommend this radio!

KI6IHW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a Great handheld. Most people are surprised at how clear I come in to them. It recieves everything that I want to listen to and more. The batteries last a long time on medium and low power, and with a AA battery pack, It transmits a full 5W. So far the only thing that is not perfect, is the menu system and the steep learning curve. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a second one.

VE3VWX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2007 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Bought Second FT-60  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my second Ft-60 a short while ago for the girlfriend. We have used it on all sorts of adventures and it has never failed, need I say more?

In fact, I love the radio(s) so much I put together a web page about it and how I use it for Adventure - Sport communication.

ENJOY!

73'
Tom

PS: I invested in my first FT-60 after it was suggested by a number of individuals in the forum to me. Thanks again guys and girls!

VA1CYR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2007 08:03 Send this review to a friend
I love this Handheld  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this handheld for well over 8 months and have been using it daily for 4 months now on both 70cm & 2m.

Having a copy of the manual nearby is recommended, you simply forget how to certain things (all the various ways of scanning).

Using the programming cable & software was easy, but not without some issues. But once it got working, having all those freqs setup, I even store in simplex freqs, no fuss.

Battery life is good, depending on the tx power I need, I can use it for a couple of days.

I never bothered taking the stock antenna out of the package. I swap between a diamond rh-519, comet sma-24 & the mag mount often. I have a SMA to BNC adapter that is always on the handheld so that i can quick release the antennas.

I use it mostly when walking, hiking or short drives. I use the MH34 speaker mic and do not have an issue with the rubber flap. You can twist the flap 90 degrees and i don't get the popping out issue or plugging in both mic & power at the same time. The speaker mic also came with a loop that goes above the channel knob. This secures the mic cable. I dropped the radio at home one night and the loop broke off, after some crazy glue it's back on. I tried it without the loop and can see why others have complained about it.

KB9TMP Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2007 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Good but not Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far I have owned two of these radios and maybe soon a third. The first one I had just a week. I traded it to an older ham (now SK) who was not able to afford a new HT. I ended up finding one on Feebay and bought it used. It already had the Mars/Cap mod done before I got it, so I can't say how much out of band usage it has had. After 2 years of my use (daily 16+ hours) the battery life started dropping off. Then the finals went. It still TXs, but on high power can only be heard 3 to 4 city blocks. I've had all the other 'minor' problems that have been described here. (speaker mic coming part way unplugged, funny look to display in outside light, locking up/shut down when using bank scanning, and not able to computer program without using the upload/download trick) Those problems I consider to be just quirks of the radio.

Now I'm looking for a new HT and keep coming back to the FT-60 as the best bang for the buck. Plus I already have the drop in charger waiting on the desk. Maybe I can offset the price of a new one by selling the old one for parts on Feebay where it came from! :)

73 de KB9TMP

KC9KTI Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Can't Complain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice little unit. Works well from my home to repeaters 20-30 miles away even on 2.5 watts.

Great audio both ways, battery life is pretty good as can be expected.

Transmits and receives well in vehicle.

Will update as I use unit more.

Matt - KC9KTI