Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-60R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-60R
Yaesu FT-60R Reviews: 300 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: A dual-bander io the same case format as the VX150!
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=PUtPQg4MnJI%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-60R.

KE4ICS Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2006 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Durable, easy to use, and nice price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this radio for about a year, and love it. My XYL and I both use this radio, and both find it simple to use. I bought it due to price, to be able to have a dual band without costing me an arm and a leg. Not long after I bought it, I fell coming down from a ladder (ouch) and my radio bounced waist high across the concrete floor. It worked just fine, only a minor scratch in the display case. I've gotten good audio/signal reports and it sounds good too.

My only complaint is very minor. If you are using a external hand mic (one with a 90 degree turn at the plug) when it turns down, the rubber cover causes it to pull out just enough to transmit all the time. But using a mic with a straight plug or removing the cover will remedy that. Not major enough to cost it any points on rating.

KC9JVT Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2006 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a FT-60R about a month ago and thus far think it's great. The battery lasts quite a long time between charges and does well hitting the local repeaters on my daily commute wiht an external antenna in my mobile. Everyone seems to like the audio quality and when monitoring myself on my base rig I can attest that is sounds good.

Programming is easy and the function labeling mimics my 857D which helps alot! Learning curve is not bad at all. I DO suspect I will need a different antenna but i have yet to realy get it outside and try to get it to work hard so I'll keep my mouth shut :)

I only have 2 complaints which ALMOST made me give it a 4/5 and one is not even with the radio itself.

The first is the battery charging. You can't shut off the internal charging when on mobile power. This means you have to remove or use the battery for mobile use to avoid over charging and damaging the cells. This is all cool BUT that battery is really on there!!! The clasp that holds it in does a wonderful job :) So Kudos for making a battery that doesn't pop off! Shame for not letting me shut off the charging when running on 12V.

The other complaint is with the MH34 mic. The cable is too darn short! Even with it clipped on my belt I find the cable stress and pulling force to be too great. If in a mobile situation forget about putting the FT60R on the console and using the mic, it needs to be placed in your pocket to work well. I now have 3 cables coming out of my pocket! I'm thinking of devising an extension of sorts!

But again a great radio with good audio for a wonderful price!

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2006 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Common Sense Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since it was first introduced. No problems to date. An emergency managment consultant spoke at one of our club meetings after working a Tornado disaster in Oklahoma, and said in a real disaster, you dont have time to worry about recharging battery packs. Its best to have an HT that gets full power off of AA alkaline batteries & carry a pocket full with you. That's what sold me on the FT60. It's 6 AA accessory battery case gives you full power. My THF6A only gives 500mw on it's AA battery case. I can recommend this rig to anyone. 73.

KE7JII Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 04:01 Send this review to a friend
WORKS WELL FOR ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this ht since early 2005 and have really enjoyed listening to 2 meter traffic on it. It's been left in my car overnight during winter months in central Oregon where I live, with no ill effects. Recently I got my Technician license and have been using this little gem on the local repeaters around town. With a magmount dual band antenna for my car, and a j-pole dual bander at home, I can hit the repeaters I need and talk simplex with local hams. All in all, this radio does what it's supposed to do, and does it well. My accessories include a vox headset, AA battery holder that attaches to the FT-60 in place of the rechargeable battery, Mirage BD-35 amplifier, and MFJ 1724b magmount antenna.

G4XTA Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2006 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Long-Term: NO GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can hardly believe Iím having to say this!! Iíve owned nearly every Yaesu handie in the last 27years. I love them, and never had a dud in all that time. But for once, I am sincerely advising anyone who is looking for a handheld DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL!
My reasons are well documented in many postings on the Yahoo user group over the last year. I have now had six FT60ís. I still have some. But in the year Iíve been using them Iíve just had SO many problems! Iíve got all the stuff Ė several FT60ís, spkr/mics, vox headsets, plenty of spare batteries, data adapters, programming leads, software, modified control knobs, replacement battery gaskets, wideband mods etc etc. In fact, Iíve become an expert on this model. Us retired guys should maybe Ďget a lifeí instead of studying and using a particular radio set for hours every day, hi hi! But what Iím honestly trying to explain is just that I REALLY know what Iím talking about here. You maybe have one FT60 and it's fine, but if youíve spent as many thousands of hours and dollars owning and operating this model as I have, youíll know just how accurate this advice really is!
I just got my third replacement radio returned from Yaesu for a set that I bought new in August. Like the others, it STEAMS UP inside when transmitting for long periods. Yaesu tested FT60ís to ascertain if the fault was unique, and found that their stock of FT60ís do this too. But they admit that Japan simply wouldnít re-tool to completely redesign the radio to stop it happening. With excellent customer service, they cheerfully continue to swap my radios for new ones as they fail. After a few months of steaming-up inside, the rigs start to get strange faults and need re-setting over and over. Eventually electronic failures affecting the actual operating system of the rig start happening. Re-setting wonít work any more. No surprise, when the radio is short-circuiting itself with internally generated sealed-in moisture coming from the battery and passing through into the electronics housing. It canít escape because the radio and battery are sealed in a shared Ďruggedisedí housing with rubber gaskets. The only place for moisture generated by the discharging of the battery to go it through the openings in the bulkhead into the circuit-board compartment.
And of course, there have been many other problems along the way. Faulty programming software that damages the radio is one. Programming leads that wonít work is another. Spkr/mic with lousy audio, smoky lcd display units, detached battery gaskets, no soft cases available, no lock on headset ptt, mis-cast distorted cases, difficult to turn volume knobs that need filing-off, internally locked-down band limits are a few other nuisances. And then the radios get reduced in price by 30% a day after I buy them.
These are the sort of things that one might tolerate on a $30 chinese Ďnoveltyí ChingTong brand radio, but not on a top-flight manufacturerís product. In my personal experience, which is greater than most, this is NOT a viable radio. Iím financially beyond help now, but if I had the chance to buy the first one over-again, I absolutely would NOT get started on this bad system. Itís like your first cigarette Ė by the time you find out itís bad, itís too late, and youíre hooked. Benefit from my experience Ė donít start!
Mni 73 Paul G4XTA Northern England

KB1MZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 17:49 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT RADIO!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an excellent radio. I purchased it a few months ago and have nothing bad to say about it. The features are excellent, it has great signal quality, and the wideband receive is my favorite feature. I have and FT-7100 and I can barely get all my memories into it. I like the 1000 memories for scanning so I can organize thing (i.e. marine channel 1 = mem. # 201) so I can get through all of my frequencies easily. The 6 letter alpha display is just enough for me to see what I'm doing and the radio is durable. I've used it in the pits at a racetrack and it's been wet, dropped, loaded with dirt, but it cleans up real easy and it still works like it was brand new. I would reccomend this radio to any ham, especially someone's first HT because it is very easy to program from the keypda.

VE4KMF Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2006 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Ok if you don't plan on using it near the PC  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned many different radios during my 8 years as a ham. Most were Yaesu of which I have been a fan of from the start.

I picked up this FT-60 in hopes it was the new and improved version of the FT-50. In many terms it may be, however the fellow that designed this radio obviously didn't have the need to work near a computer doing so. Even with the squelch turned up all the way, this thing seems to find some sort of interference on almost every frequency in the 2 meter range when operating at the computer.
I have probably close to 80 frequencies programmed, of which I'm guessing more than half of those I have the radio "skip" them during scan because of all the damn noise. And it seems to be every day it picks a new channel for me to "skip". Soon enough I won't need the scan feature because all my channels will be skipped. This is very annoying, as one day if I decide to take it portable with me, I'll need to go through all those skipped channels and reverse the procedure so I can scan them all again. Then when I get back home and operate near the computer again, well guess what!
Now the FT-50 sure wasn't anything to brag about, but I can't remember not being able to use it near the computer. In fact, it's safe to say that this is a first for me for any handheld I've ever owned, which has been many.
Other than this annoyance, I seem to like everything else about it so far. I am however regretting parting with my VX-5 to have something newer. I would by another VX-5 today if they were still on the Canadian market new, and sell this FT-60 in a heartbeat.
I think my next handheld will be the new small wonder by Icom or the T90

WD4HXG Rating: 3/5 Sep 20, 2006 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice packaging job but needs improvement on antenna.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the unit in March of 2006. Nice package and fairly well laid out but big fingers are a setback.

The rig I purchased does not perform well with a rubber duck antenna, neither the stock antenna nor a third party gain antenna. The receiver sensitivity is better than the spec of 0.2 uV and transmit power is in the 3 watt range, substantially better than my old handheld.

Not sure why but when used with a 1/4 wave vertical with four radials mounted on the fiberglass roof of the auto the receive and transmit performance improve dramatically. One local repeater which would only break squelch and showed S-1 with either the stock or other rubber duck antennae I owned for two meters went to full scale on the internal S Meter when attached to the quarter wave. That implies at least a 48+ dB improvement with an external 1/4 wave.

In my opinion the rig is a poor performer with rubber ducks but is superb with a good antenna.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 18:41 Send this review to a friend
1.5 years later . . .  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought I'd do a year and a half review. I've had the following HT's: Icom W31 (loved the dual vol/sql knobs and audio, gave up the ghost finally last year), VX7-R (only had it 3 mo, one of the very early versions and sold it, just didn't like it, especially the very awkward belt clip), Kenwood TH-F6A (currently have as well). The FT-60 is the radio I grab nearly all the time when I out and about. I really like the big aligator belt clip and the sturdy case. I bought the F6 for it's dual receive capability like the W31 and now that I've had it for 6mo, it really isn't that much of an advantage. I put the FT-60 on scan for the 2-3 repeaters I need to monitor.

In direct comparison to the Kenwood, the FT-60 has a stronger receiver and better transmit - I make it into repeaters copyable that the Kenwood simply cannot. Also, I really don't see the Kenwood holding up as well as the FT-60 so another reason I leave it home most of the time.

Negatives of the FT-60 - in descending order: battery clip, intermod next to computers, vol/sql knob is very sensitive to movement, slow CTCSS sql (sometimes clips the first syllable/word). I cannot argue for the price of this little gem. I just ordered the Batteries America 2000 mah battery and rapid charger. I'm thinking of getting the matching headset.

In all probability I'll sell the kenwood in the near future.

KC2PJL Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2006 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my FT-60R since March of '06 and I love it. It's a great radio that sees about equal time between public safety scanning and ham operation. It's a simple radio to operate and program, though I do recommend the software if only because it makes programming much quicker than using the radio keypad. I have also purchased a speaker-mic and a Maldol whip antenna.

All in all a great radio......