Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sony MDR-7506 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-7506 Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: Large diaphragm foldable headphones.
More info: http://www.sony.com/

You can write your own review of the Sony MDR-7506.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 13:39 Send this review to a friend
CQ WW CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sitting here working the contest with my Icom 756 Pro II and can hardly feel these headphones. Just so comfortable. I got rid of my Kenwood hs-6 and hs-5 for these and don't regret it for a minute.Can't even hear my dog or my xyl bark!

KA2JWU Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2009 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding for Amateur Radio Use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a pair from our local Guitar Center store. They actually had them cheaper than online sources. Anyway, I was looking to replace my Yaesu YH-55 head phones and needed something to enhance my FT-2000 audio. So far I am really impressed with their fit, audio quality and overall workmanship. For less than one hundred dollars, I have outstanding audio with a set of headphone that are extremely comfortable to wear for hours on end. The wider drivers seem to bring the "in-the-noise" CW signals out enough to copy solid. You will love these, especially if you have one of the newer SDR rigs. They also work great on my Icom R75 and 756 Proiii.

WD9ICU Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2008 01:12 Send this review to a friend
KICK ASS AUDIO  Time owned: months
I have been using these now for three years and can say that these headphones deliver...CW...Week stations...SSB...Im using mine on a FT1000MP stereo mode for week DX stations they are awesome. Try them while chatting with some of the gang or working DX..Stereo or mono they still rock......When your not playing radio try them on itunes or your pc,I use mine on my imac to listen to all types of music and they deliver superb music reproduction,, Like setting in on a live recording session..I have been using headphones since 1962,good ,bad expensive ,cheap. I will not go into technical differences and bore you with a lot of numbers to compare the audio response..etc...ctc...ctc...for the money ..these headphones exceed all expectations for a responsive set of headphones in the economy price class..these are SONY professional series headphones,and they sure do deliver an unequalled sound not challenged by many.You can spend a lot or spend a little ,it didnt take me long to decide when I was listening to a recording session on these and then the owner walked out and took these home and plugged them into his HF rig...I love these headphones...Chic on Q-95 WFBQ uses these on the air daily....I cant say any more ...try them...they cant be beat for the money

KB1PHZ Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and relatively low cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the MDR-7506s for 2 years, replacing a set of V6s that I finally wore out after about 10 years. They are both excellent, comfortable headsets. I've also owned Koss, KLH, Sennheiser, and several others I can't recall at the moment, and prefer the Sonys. Between the 7506 and V6, I actually like the V6 a bit more, but that's quibbling. The differences are pretty subtle.

K4ELO Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2007 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Earlier this year, I purchased a set of Sony 7506 phones and I have to say they are very good. Probably the best headphones I have used for ham radio until I also bought the model 7505. I'm rating the 7506 at a 4 only because I feel the 7505 are definitely better. Sony says the 7505 places the transducers closer to your ears for more detailed listening and that's why I bought them for cw. It does make a difference.
I can only comment about cw because that's all I use these two pairs of phones for, but if you are considering the 7506, you should also put the 7505 on your short list.

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2007 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Great I guess  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid $99 for a pair from sweetwater.com that was the lowest price I could find. Great headphones for sure. They sound awesome, I don't think I'll be using them for portable use, when you put them on they block out all sound like the ear muffs I wear to the pistol range. A bear could sneak up behind me playing a snare drum and I'd never hear him!

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2007 08:25 Send this review to a friend
MDR-V6 - great headphones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Based on the reviews here at eHam I bought a pair of the MDR-V6's from Millionbuy.com a couple years ago. Millionbuy had a good price on the V6s and shipped them quickly.

It was money very well spent. I travel a lot and use these in conjunction with my iPod when traveling. There is a night and day difference between the sound quality between the V6's and the earbuds included with the iPod. The midrange/high frequencies seem clearer and the bass provided by the V6's is simply amazing! Downloading some testtone MP3s confirmed the V6's will reproduce bass down to 20Hz, the threshhold of human hearing, although it's very weak at 20Hz. Stepping up to only 30Hz the bass came through loud and clear. The V6's reproduce details that are simply unheard on other headphones or full-sized speakers. Their over the ear design does suprisingly well at blocking out background noise. I find them very sufficient to use on airplanes. My satisfaction with the V6s kept me from spending $300+ (financing available :) on a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. When used with music, the V6s actually sound best when used "flat", with no EQ settings of the iPod active. I'd suspect they provide a natural bass boost even when in flat mode.

The V6s also work great in ham radio applications. Obviously their ability to remove background noise in the shack environment helps pull the hard-to-hear stations out better. The human voice is very pleasant to listen to with the V6s and I find it less fatiguing to listen to the V6s than an external extensions speaker.

Despite all my use of the V6s, I have not had any problems with the earpads deteriorating or any problems with the cord. They're hanging in there. I return them to their leatherette carrying case when not in use, so that may help matters.

Drawbacks / nitpicks? First, the included cord is too long for using portable (walking around the airport, etc). I would've preferred they had a headphone jack in the side of them like the Bose QC headphones so the user can add their own desired length headphone-to-device cable. Second, although the earphones fold up inside the headband, they don't sit at all flat and take up a lot of space in my laptop bag. I would've also preferred the Bose design here, too, where the earphones simply twist flat so the whole set-up takes less than 2" depth of packing space. As I'm rating a pair of <$100 headphones here I can't justify reducing the rating because of these couple issues.

Again, the V6's are money very well spent. Get them and you won't regret them. I've probably owned about 20 different pairs of headphones and earbuds so far, and the V6s have blown them all out of the water, both for listening to music and to ham radio.

Dan / ab0re

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 23:48 Send this review to a friend
Virtually identical to the Sony MDR-V6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and would LOVE a second pair for my portable applications, traveling, Field Day, etc.

HOWEVER, I may NOT be ordering a another pair... Why? The Sony MDR-V6 are virtually identical to the Sony MDR-7506 but are about $35 to $40 cheaper (Amazon offers them at $63.49 with free shipping)! See the review(s) here on Eham for the MDR-V6. "Save a few bucks and get the V6 unless you prefer the moniker of the 7506".
ken

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Sound great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for years, and are in everyday use.

When I got them I super glued the mic. arm from a broken ProSet, to the left earpiece. The result is a Headset with GREAT receive audio (far better then the Heil), and is far more comfortable then either of my "Heil ProSets".

For everyday use or during long contest operation they are the answer.

G0UUT Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 10:37 Send this review to a friend
well made good sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
they are the best i ever used .
i had lots of headphone from top end one
and the MDR 7506 ARE THE BEST FOR ME .
well done SONY