Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sony MDR-7506 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-7506 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: Large diaphragm foldable headphones.
More info: http://www.sony.com/

You can write your own review of the Sony MDR-7506.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2016 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Agree 100% to 5 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
These Sony MDR-7506 headphones are my favorite for music or radio so I second all the great comments.
If you've never had a really good set of cans, you'll hear things you didn't know were there in any music you listen to.

However, beware of some of the chicom stuff. A while back, I bought a $55 pair that was shipped directly from there. I took them out of box to try and my first impression was that I must have lost some of my high freq hearing. Not all that unbelievable as I am over 70. They certainly looked like real Sony's, but ??? Then, I switched back to my 8 year old Sony's and miraculously, it came back! I did this test a half dozen times with various sources and it was clear, the "new" ones rolled off the highs quicker than the originals. I don't think this would have been the case if they were purchased from a reputable dealer at "normal" street prices which I plan to do. I suspect the cheap ones were either knock-offs or some sort of factory seconds.

One other recommendation I would offer is to immediately buy a set of the velour cushions as the original's covering will start to flake off way too soon.

KE5GGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2016 17:57 Send this review to a friend
"Standard Issue" at Radio Stations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I work in broadcasting and am also a Ham.

90% of air personalities use the Sony MDR-7506 model. It's really amazing to see the loyalty of on-air people to this product. The sound quality is exceptional. The headphones are light-weight enough to be worn for long periods of time without fatigue. And the units are bullet-proof. I've never had any issues with the 6-8 pairs I've owned through the years. The only downside to the phones is how FAST they will disappear if you leave them unattended in a studio!

I use the MDR-7506 both professionally and with my ham radios. I think they give me great 'ears' and the ability to hear DX or low level signals.

There are several eBay sellers who sell the MDR-7506 at discounts. $85 is pretty common from stateside sellers. Recently, I've seen them for around $60, not including shipping from China.

K4FMH Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2015 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based upon the advice of another ham, I shopped for a pair of the SONY MDR-7506 headphones. I picked up a lightly used pair on eBay for $33 and a new set of ear pads on eBay for $9...totally about $35 for a set. It came with the "sack" for storage.

While they are not tuned to a narrow SSB-style frequency range, they do give great audio for listening to radio. Plus, they do not generate "ear fatigue" from the headband. In fact, they are more comfortable than my two pair of Bose headphones and another top brand headset with mic. The latter will now be used for portable use with my HF rig. I can wear these "cans" for 5 hours or more very comfortably. Recommended!

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 13:04 Send this review to a friend
The best I`ve used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don`t really like headphones, I don`t like hearing my voice through my head rather than through my ears, however with the bands the way they have been in the UK of late and more so 80Mtrs at night where I usually meet up with a group it is either where phones or don`t hear much and certainly can`t understand what is being said. So, after trying many of my headphones I was aimed towards these Sony phones by another ham who has been into recording and audio for most of his life (G4TRA) Well, thanks Steve, at least I have a fighting chance now.The phones are very comfortable to wear for any length of time, the audio on Hf is lovely and crisp and what amazed me is that they don`t bring any more noise into them. I`m able to turn the RF back to get rid of the crud and still hear the voice. I ordered a pair of velour cups as was suggested on hear and the comfort jumped up a notch.(although the standard cups are fine)I added some soft sponge to the inside of the headband to hold the cups just slightly higher to let a touch of my own voice into my ears ( I don`t like using the monitor function) and again surprisingly I can still hear the crisp voice and about 25% of my own voice.The curly lead is just fine which enables me to move around the shack without springing back to the radio if I loose my balance. They also fold up for travelling. Comfort wise over my heil headset is like chalk and cheese. I`m more than happy that I purchased them, I`ll only use them when I need to but when you need phones then these are superb.

VA3JK Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Great headphones for contesting  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are the most comfortable headphones used. I primarily do contesting and having to sit and focus for many hours at a time, that can be very fatiguing. The competition's headsets(Heil) are way too heavy and after about 3-4 hours you want to throw them off. Not so with the Sony headset. They give very good audio reproduction and also are fairly good at sealing out background noise. They don't feel heavy after many hours of sitting on your head. They are really designed for good audio reproduction from professional audio sources. They also give plenty of output on my old FT-1000MP. Although not designed for the ham radio market, they are truly one of the best headphones I have used and definitely give you the "best bang for the buck". You will not be disappointed to use them with your amateur radio equipment.Highly recommended.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 13:39 Send this review to a friend
CQ WW CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sitting here working the contest with my Icom 756 Pro II and can hardly feel these headphones. Just so comfortable. I got rid of my Kenwood hs-6 and hs-5 for these and don't regret it for a minute.Can't even hear my dog or my xyl bark!

KA2JWU Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2009 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding for Amateur Radio Use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a pair from our local Guitar Center store. They actually had them cheaper than online sources. Anyway, I was looking to replace my Yaesu YH-55 head phones and needed something to enhance my FT-2000 audio. So far I am really impressed with their fit, audio quality and overall workmanship. For less than one hundred dollars, I have outstanding audio with a set of headphone that are extremely comfortable to wear for hours on end. The wider drivers seem to bring the "in-the-noise" CW signals out enough to copy solid. You will love these, especially if you have one of the newer SDR rigs. They also work great on my Icom R75 and 756 Proiii.

WD9ICU Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2008 01:12 Send this review to a friend
KICK ASS AUDIO  Time owned: months
I have been using these now for three years and can say that these headphones deliver...CW...Week stations...SSB...Im using mine on a FT1000MP stereo mode for week DX stations they are awesome. Try them while chatting with some of the gang or working DX..Stereo or mono they still rock......When your not playing radio try them on itunes or your pc,I use mine on my imac to listen to all types of music and they deliver superb music reproduction,, Like setting in on a live recording session..I have been using headphones since 1962,good ,bad expensive ,cheap. I will not go into technical differences and bore you with a lot of numbers to compare the audio response..etc...ctc...ctc...for the money ..these headphones exceed all expectations for a responsive set of headphones in the economy price class..these are SONY professional series headphones,and they sure do deliver an unequalled sound not challenged by many.You can spend a lot or spend a little ,it didnt take me long to decide when I was listening to a recording session on these and then the owner walked out and took these home and plugged them into his HF rig...I love these headphones...Chic on Q-95 WFBQ uses these on the air daily....I cant say any more ...try them...they cant be beat for the money

KB1PHZ Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and relatively low cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the MDR-7506s for 2 years, replacing a set of V6s that I finally wore out after about 10 years. They are both excellent, comfortable headsets. I've also owned Koss, KLH, Sennheiser, and several others I can't recall at the moment, and prefer the Sonys. Between the 7506 and V6, I actually like the V6 a bit more, but that's quibbling. The differences are pretty subtle.

K4ELO Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2007 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Earlier this year, I purchased a set of Sony 7506 phones and I have to say they are very good. Probably the best headphones I have used for ham radio until I also bought the model 7505. I'm rating the 7506 at a 4 only because I feel the 7505 are definitely better. Sony says the 7505 places the transducers closer to your ears for more detailed listening and that's why I bought them for cw. It does make a difference.
I can only comment about cw because that's all I use these two pairs of phones for, but if you are considering the 7506, you should also put the 7505 on your short list.