Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sony MDR-7506 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-7506 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: Large diaphragm foldable headphones.
More info: http://www.sony.com/

You can write your own review of the Sony MDR-7506.

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2007 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Great I guess  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid $99 for a pair from sweetwater.com that was the lowest price I could find. Great headphones for sure. They sound awesome, I don't think I'll be using them for portable use, when you put them on they block out all sound like the ear muffs I wear to the pistol range. A bear could sneak up behind me playing a snare drum and I'd never hear him!

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2007 08:25 Send this review to a friend
MDR-V6 - great headphones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Based on the reviews here at eHam I bought a pair of the MDR-V6's from Millionbuy.com a couple years ago. Millionbuy had a good price on the V6s and shipped them quickly.

It was money very well spent. I travel a lot and use these in conjunction with my iPod when traveling. There is a night and day difference between the sound quality between the V6's and the earbuds included with the iPod. The midrange/high frequencies seem clearer and the bass provided by the V6's is simply amazing! Downloading some testtone MP3s confirmed the V6's will reproduce bass down to 20Hz, the threshhold of human hearing, although it's very weak at 20Hz. Stepping up to only 30Hz the bass came through loud and clear. The V6's reproduce details that are simply unheard on other headphones or full-sized speakers. Their over the ear design does suprisingly well at blocking out background noise. I find them very sufficient to use on airplanes. My satisfaction with the V6s kept me from spending $300+ (financing available :) on a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. When used with music, the V6s actually sound best when used "flat", with no EQ settings of the iPod active. I'd suspect they provide a natural bass boost even when in flat mode.

The V6s also work great in ham radio applications. Obviously their ability to remove background noise in the shack environment helps pull the hard-to-hear stations out better. The human voice is very pleasant to listen to with the V6s and I find it less fatiguing to listen to the V6s than an external extensions speaker.

Despite all my use of the V6s, I have not had any problems with the earpads deteriorating or any problems with the cord. They're hanging in there. I return them to their leatherette carrying case when not in use, so that may help matters.

Drawbacks / nitpicks? First, the included cord is too long for using portable (walking around the airport, etc). I would've preferred they had a headphone jack in the side of them like the Bose QC headphones so the user can add their own desired length headphone-to-device cable. Second, although the earphones fold up inside the headband, they don't sit at all flat and take up a lot of space in my laptop bag. I would've also preferred the Bose design here, too, where the earphones simply twist flat so the whole set-up takes less than 2" depth of packing space. As I'm rating a pair of <$100 headphones here I can't justify reducing the rating because of these couple issues.

Again, the V6's are money very well spent. Get them and you won't regret them. I've probably owned about 20 different pairs of headphones and earbuds so far, and the V6s have blown them all out of the water, both for listening to music and to ham radio.

Dan / ab0re

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 23:48 Send this review to a friend
Virtually identical to the Sony MDR-V6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and would LOVE a second pair for my portable applications, traveling, Field Day, etc.

HOWEVER, I may NOT be ordering a another pair... Why? The Sony MDR-V6 are virtually identical to the Sony MDR-7506 but are about $35 to $40 cheaper (Amazon offers them at $63.49 with free shipping)! See the review(s) here on Eham for the MDR-V6. "Save a few bucks and get the V6 unless you prefer the moniker of the 7506".
ken

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Sound great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for years, and are in everyday use.

When I got them I super glued the mic. arm from a broken ProSet, to the left earpiece. The result is a Headset with GREAT receive audio (far better then the Heil), and is far more comfortable then either of my "Heil ProSets".

For everyday use or during long contest operation they are the answer.

G0UUT Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 10:37 Send this review to a friend
well made good sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
they are the best i ever used .
i had lots of headphone from top end one
and the MDR 7506 ARE THE BEST FOR ME .
well done SONY

GM0OTS Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2007 09:42 Send this review to a friend
GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THEY BEAT THE BEYER DT100 ON SOUND QUALITY BUT NOT ON CONSTRUCTION OR COMFORT.

KB1FZA Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2006 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great headphones  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very light and very comfortable to wear. The audio is excellent! Soft and pleasant mid-range makes them excellent for comm use but they are very good to listen to music as well! The construction quality is excellent! The headphones come with service manual, storage bag, and threaded gold plated 1/4' adaptor. The earcups can be flipped if you need to listen to the ambience and you can fold them as well for storage in the supplied bag. I like the coiled cord with 1/8' jack but this is personal preference. Overall these headphones are very high quality product with excellent sound definition for just under $100 and I am very happy with them. I've had many other brands including Sennheiser, Koss, etc. but so far the 7506 are the best! IMHO it is lame to complain about "white noise" which otherwise you can't hear with "no-name" headphones!! The noise is coming from the equipment and not from the headphones and the reason why the "noname" brand cant pick up the noise is either poor frequency response or low sensitivity.

KB8PMD Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2006 17:49 Send this review to a friend
SONY MDR-7506 Great On All Audio Applications  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My background is broadcast news and production - so I've experienced many brands and models starting with Koss PRO-4A and beyond. Needless to say I've seen a lot of junk through the years - to be honest Koss has gone down in quality over the decades. And "big-box" store headsets are truly awful when it comes to overall frequency response - another issue is questionable build quality. Tired of all the headsets I had where parts of the plastic headbands would snap! Recently I put together a home theater system and decided to do it right. Did a lot of research on what is on the market looking for cans that had a great sound quality and were rugged as well. On a lot of review sites, the Sony MDR-7506 received high marks on practically all the comments I read - both in sound quality and construction...so I ordered a pair. In home theater applications I was astounded by the clear, crisp natural sound both on DVD and HDTV as well the broadcast bands of my tuner. What also impressed me is that Sony even included a Service Manual (file this, don't toss it) with both graphics and text along with replacement part stock numbers. I followed that by plugging my headsets into my ICOM IC-765 HF Transceiver. Gotta tell you, a lot of the SSB conversations that were very hard to follow with other headsets came in crisp, clear and easy to understand - didn't really need to pump-up the volume with the MDR-7506. Do I recomend them? Without any hesitation at under $100, they are worth every penny and more! The plug features gold-plated connectors that have a quarter-inch plug which can be unscrewed to an eighth-incher when needed. If you don't mind using a hand or desk mike and want to more clearly hear what is being said, these are one of the best of the best. Whether its rag-chewing (my favorite), contesting or field day - SSB or Code, this rugged pair of phones will make you a star with other hams at events. The only issue that keeps coming-up is the ear pads seem to wear too quickly, however, you can always replace them with OEM's or with Beyerdynamic DT-250 pads. All things considered, I have joined the legion of Sony MDR-7506 fans. One final note, you won't find these at the big box stores or ham radio stores I've checked thus far - I bought mine from JandR in New York for $99.00...happy hamming everyone! andrew @ mall727.50megs.com

NN5G Rating: 1/5 Jul 25, 2006 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Lousy product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have written two previous revues on this site and they were both 5/5. This is one of the worst products I have ever purchased. The fidelity is fine, but the quality of construction and representations are ridiculous. Within 6 months of purchase the cord began to split in places and stretch badly. I knew it would only be a matter of time before the cord would short. I called the Sweetwater Co. where I bought the product and asked for help. They said they would call back and never did. Finally last week the foam on the earpieces came undone and I called Sweetwater back and was informed the warranty was only 90 days. I then called Sony for help and found out the cost to repair would far exceed the cost of a new set of head phones.

I use these headphones on average of 1 hour a night and I am not hard on my equipment. I may try to fix these headphones myself, but will not buy another Sony product, nor do business with Sweetwater. So I spent $100.00 for the use of a set of earphones for one year. �. Paul NN5G

N3YC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2005 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a pair of headphones and after seeing the reviews here I decided to order a pair. I found them on the Internet from a NY dealer for $89.95. I wore them the first day for about 12 hours and would literaly forget I had them on (the cord is quite strong too). It is cool here now, so I don't know about sweaty ears, will have to wait until summer to see about that. Everything about these headphones is first class from the screw-on gold 1/4" adapter to the way they fold up to fit into the carrying pouch. They have a wide response range so they are not going to filter out noise, you will have to adjust your equipment for that. They are definitely better than my ears and work quite well for listening to Dave Brubeck and John Coltrane.