Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | The Screwdriver.com Model 4800 Help

Reviews Summary for The Screwdriver.com Model 4800
The Screwdriver.com Model 4800 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: Description: Description: The screwdriver model 4800 is a 4ft tall screwdriver antenna that will cover 10 thru 80 meters, with a power rating of 1500 watts continuous power.n The antenna comes with the mount,and digital memory controller, and all the wire to install it. The digital memory controll has 99 user reprogramable memory locations. and a 4 digit display to let you know the exact location of the antenna coil, it is the most user friendly memory controller on the market. The antenna has a fiberglass coil for that has a wall thickness of 1/4 inch.
More info: http://www.thescrewdriver.com/

You can write your own review of the The Screwdriver.com Model 4800.

KC0OGH Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2005 17:32 Send this review to a friend
BUY ONE!!!!! YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using this antenna on my Chevy Suburban since about November and have nothing but good to say about it and service that Lee provides to his customers.

Each antenna is shipped with a stainless steel mount, memory controller and all cabling needed for installation. I will break this review down into several parts, as I believe that each one is important, even though this may wind up being a bit long winded.

The antenna is well constructed from quality materials. Having a background in precision machining, I know good work when I see it and Lee’s work leaves nothing to be desired (yes I took it apart). The dedication to a quality product is easily evident in the craftsmanship and attention to detail shown by his work. I look forward to many years of enjoying this antenna. On the air reports indicate that the antenna is a top performer. If I can hear them I can work them and have broken more than one pile-up. Have had people tell me that I was stronger than base stations in the same area and have even been accused of running an amp (I am only putting out 100 watts from an Icom 746).

The controller is truly easy to use in the mobile and to my way of thinking this makes for safer operation. Something we should all be striving for. The repeatability is dead on and moving from one band to another is easily accomplished while still focusing on driving. The controller has 99 memories, but I have found with my installation that having a single memory position for each band (except 40 and 75) covers the entire band with a good match. 40 and 75 meter require a bit of tweaking when you change frequency but once again this is done easily with the controller. The resolution of the counter is very fine, five counts per revolution of the drive motor, allowing for fine adjustment and a good match across the working range of the antenna.

The customer service offered by Lee is second to none. When I first contacted him about his product, I asked if it would be possible to see his product in person, as I was traveling to his home town soon. Lee welcomed me to his home and workshop and we talked at length about the construction of his antennas and he even showed me antennas in various stages of construction. All this and I had told him that I had no intention of purchasing or even ordering one at this time, but was only gathering information to assist in making a decision on which antenna to get for HF mobile use. My search for the “right antenna” was not a short one either. I think I have called almost everyone that makes a screwdriver type antenna during my research. Many of them I was not able to reach so a message was left requesting a call back. To my amazement, there must be a lot of guys out there that don’t want my money, as I received very few return calls (won’t mention names). My first attempt to reach Lee resulted in leaving a message as well, but he had the good sense to return my call promptly and answer a number of questions for me.

When I did finally order an antenna from him (sorry to drag my feet so much Lee), he did not have a completed model 4800 in inventory but was happy to start on it with no deposit from me and just my word that I would be down to pick it up on am agreed upon date and would pay him then. Oh yea, this was on one that was to be painted to match the trim on my truck too (not a standard color). Unfortunately, there was a problem with the paint, and it did not cure correctly, so I was not able to pick up the antenna in person as was planned. True to excellent customer service, Lee made it his priority to finish my antenna and ship it to me next day service as soon as it was done at no cost to me for shipping. He also knocked twenty bucks off the price for the trouble.

In short…Great product, great price, and service that is second to none. Do I think this is the best antenna you can own?? I don’t know, as I have not used them all. But I can promise you this…it has got to be the best value for the money in a great system that really works from a person that backs his product and puts the needs of the customer first.

Considering getting another screwdriver to go on a second vehicle at this time…Guess which antenna it will be….

KC0OGH
Justin

W4JLE Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2005 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the antenna installed on my Subaru wagon , with an Icom 706MKIIG. During the day I made a number of contacts on 20 and 40 all with good reports. The real test of a mobile in my mind is on 75 meters.

Tuned it up on 3795 and called CQ DX, worked a PA0, CT3, and an EA. Not bad from a mobile! I think I am really going to like this antenna.

The antenna is really ruggedly built and the included controller with 99 memories makes it really easy to QSY from band to band, or move from your favorite net frequency to the DX window with the push of a button.

I made a chart using the MFJ259 and programmed in all the freqs I was interested in. The repeatability of position is excellent. If somehow it gets out of sync, simply select calibrate and it cycles from end to end and resets itself. The antenna weighs about 15 pounds, so my mount was constructed from 3/16" plate steel.

The coil is rated for legal limit and has a lifetime warranty. Considering you get both the antenna and the controller (counts 5 counts per revolution or 100 counts per inch)I couldn't find a better deal.